Worried About My 7 Year Old Black Girl

Guest got2now

Guest got2now

We just noticed that our 7 year old greygirl has a huge red mark (looks like a portwine stain) on the inside of her leg, almost down to her paw. The ankle joint looks a little swollen, and she limps on it a little. It seemed like it was painful to her when my dh was feeling it. I am so scared. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

Melissa

I would get her checked out. It sounds like a bruise. Does she have a fever? Jake is really prone to this kind of thing and when he gets bruising he usually has a fever too.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

Guest Energy11

Could she has bumped and bruised her leg somehow? Without seeing a picture of it, kind of sounds like bleeding under the skin, which is basically bruising. Any other symptoms? How is here color (gums)? Nice and pink?

That is about all I can offer without seeing it. If things get worse, obviously, I'd see a vet, or, if things stay status-quo, I'd probably see the vet on Monday.

Good luck and lots of love!

Like Janet said, it sounds like she has a bad bruise. Is there a chance she hurt herself running?

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest got2now

I can't believe I just remembered this, but she had blood drawn at the vet's on Thursday. Maybe it is a bruise - a big one - but what about the limping? Could that be from the bruise?

Guest lynne893

sounds like a bad bruise. our timber would get those with extra handling (such as if she needed to be lifted to an exam table at the vet or for xrays or anesthesia-free dentals).

did anyone lift your grey up recently?

It could be from the blood draw. I'd be getting her platelets checked and a clotting factor done. Some greyhounds have a bleeding disorder that can cause this, although usually it's from something like a spay surgery. Did the vet wrap the draw site?

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

If it's a bruise from a blood draw and it's that big and she's limping, you might want to call your vet. She may have a problem with her blood clotting to be bleeding that badly from a blood draw. Has she ever had a reaction like that before when blood was taken?

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest got2now

thanks for all the helpful replies. We feel better. And yes the vet did wrap the draw site, but I took it off later that day when I gave her a bath.

Guest Energy11
It could be from the blood draw. I'd be getting her platelets checked and a clotting factor done. Some greyhounds have a bleeding disorder that can cause this, although usually it's from something like a spay surgery. Did the vet wrap the draw site?

Definately could be a hematoma from the blood draw. Not uncommon in humans, especially if the vein used broke/was torn, or "popped," during the blood draw. A platlet check couldn't hurt. Like the others have said, warm compresses surely couldn't hurt. I'd just keep a close eye on it, and if anything changes, surely see the vet.

I can't believe I just remembered this, but she had blood drawn at the vet's on Thursday. Maybe it is a bruise - a big one - but what about the limping? Could that be from the bruise?

I would check it out anyway, but I've seen that once with Patrick--huge, nasty looking bruise from a blood draw. In that case, he actually didn't seem that sensitive about it though.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

I would have the vet check her leg.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg

sounds like purpura, basically a bruise from a small bleed. VwD is a bleeding disorder but is multiple and causes major and multiple bruising. If you can take a picture (even with cell phone) to show your vet later. I wouldn't be alarmed. I'm a vet and this does happen. I wouldn't at this point worry about tests for clotting factors etc.