Fecal Tests

Guest ogie65

Hi, my vet is telling me I need to do fecal exams for my two hounds every six months. They are healthy, and this is supposedly just a routine test. I'm inclined to think they need to do routine fecals only annually, as a part of their annual check up. They are ages 4 and 5, healthy, no history of wormies, no poop or GI issues, and on monthly preventative (Heartguard Plus now, soon switching to Interceptor). No reason given other than just routine check up.

How often do you get fecal tests for your hounds?

Thanks! As always, y'all are the best

Guest Energy11

I do them once a year, MAYBE!

If your dog is on Heartworm protection year-round, basically, you are protected against all parasites (worms), and if you use Iverheart MAX, tapeworms, too. BUT, if your dog gets into another dog's poop with worms, eats a wild varmint, etc. ... then, it requires a stool check. My friend's grey ate a bird head (UGH) last week, so she waited a few days, and took in a sample, just in case.

I'd say once a year, unless you are experiencing "The Big D," for no reason, or see worms, segments in the stool, or your houndies eat a mouse, rat, bird, etc.

Good Luck!

Edited by Energy11

Guest KennelMom

We don't really do routine fecals. Since they're hit or miss even when you strongly suspect something is wrong, I can't really see doing them when everything seems to be fine. Nice money maker for the vet on annual or semi-annual visits though.

Guest Energy11
We don't really do routine fecals. Since they're hit or miss even when you strongly suspect something is wrong, I can't really see doing them when everything seems to be fine. Nice money maker for the vet on annual or semi-annual visits though.

YEP, you hit the nail on the head!

I have to do them every 6 months to comply with the therapy dog requirements for the group we volunteer with anyway - but our vet has started to suggest them every 6 months for all of his clients.

Thanks everyone. I tend to agree with Kennel Mom, though I could at least understand annuals perhaps. I appreciate the comment about boarding - haven't had to, yet, but if I had to, the kennels around here are very much sticklers for requiring all possible med documentation. My pups definitely get better health care than I do!

FLT, did your vet say why he upped the recommendation?

Guest Bean_Scotch

Ditto what Kennel Mom said. I don't do fecals unless I notice, the Big d, not eating and other symptoms of a GI problem. I'll take one in then. The dogs are on Interceptor Spectrum year round(does heartworms, rounds, hooks, whips and tapes). My vet's assisants will try to guilt me into paying the 30.00 for each one...I tell them it buys a bag of dog food and they usually be quiet after taht(they like to 'sell' stuff at my vets.)

Guest D_MansMommy

I bring a sample for the boyz annual. However, since they are seniors now, I am rethinking the whole thing. Fecal samples and shots may be out. I'm still researching :)

My vet runs a fecal if someone is sick. Otherwise, we don't even do it every year since it's not always a reliable predictor of whether a dog has a problem.

Locally, I don't think the boarding facilities require a fecal (probably due to the unreliability). I think boarding/day care facilities like PetSmart's PetsHotel just require DPP, Bordatella (within the last six months), and Rabies immunizations--nothing else.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)