My Beloved Cat Has Cancer

Guest OurGreytLife

Guest OurGreytLife

Hi All,

(I'm very sorry if I put this in the wrong forum)

My precious cat, Blackie, has been diagnosed with Subcutaneous Hemangiosarcoma. Tomorrow we will have further tests to see if the cancer has spread to any organs. Blackie is 8 years old.

The onacologist said that this type of cancer has a high potential metastatic rate of 50% and a high recurrence rate after surgery to remove the tumor. It is recommended the use of the chemo drug called Adriamycin & radiation. This chemo drug comes with some very serious side effects especially if not administered correctly.

Does anyone at Greytalk have or had a cat with cancer and what was your experience? What treatment options did you do? Did your cat suffer any side effects/problems with chemo? Do you have any regrets?

It's not looking good for my beloved kitty. :weep I don't want my cat to suffer through surgeries or chemo when the outcome doesn't look good with this type of cancer.

Any input you can share will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Denise

I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty. :(

My kitty Neko had cancer, he had small cell lymphoma, considered very treatable but not curable. We treated him with chemo and pred also famotadine for nausea. We were very fortunate and he lived for three years after diagnosis. He was 17 when we lost him this year. Side effects were minimal, he lost most of the hair on his ears.

Sue ,Sky and Dood, Bridge angels Clark, Gypsy, Dreamy and Sneakers, Oshkosh,WI Heartbound Greyhound Adoptionsept2013sigcopy_zps8ad6ed09.jpg<p>

My cat, Beady, developed a fibrosarcoma from one of his routine vaccinations. It was in his left shoulder. It grew

quickly and we did a biopsy. It had already sprouted "tentacles" and was spreading. We chose not to operate as it

would be very invasive. He was not the best patient and we didn't want to put him through chemo as there was no cure

for this very aggressive cancer. He developed it in May 2005 and passed in February 2006. It if had been on his leg, we

would have opted to amputate. He was two months short of 8 years old. I miss my little man so very much.

I think this is a very personal decision. There are a lot of factors to take into consideration. You will do what is best for your kitty. I'm sorry you have to deal with this dreaded disease.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest Hannah

:grouphug been there twice so I know how you are feeling.

My vet felt a lump in Mono's abdomen at her anual checkup so she went back in the next day for an ultrasound and fine needle aspiration.

from the US and FNA he thought it was a bowel cancer and suggested removing a section of her bowl.

so she went back a few days later and when he opened her up he discovered it was a lymphatic cancer that just happened to be growing next to her large intestine. he biopsied it and I can't remember exactly what it was but it was an unusual cancer for cats, apparently more normally seen in younger dogs :roleyes:

we tried some chemo, the only side effects were some serious stink-eye because one of the vet nurses had tuna sandwiches on chemo day and Mono would happily sell her sisters soul for tuna :lol

we re-assessed after a couple of rounds and unfortunately the chemo didnt work so we spoiled her rotten until she went to the bridge. she wasnt ready to go but her body couldnt take it any longer, I held her as they gently slid the needle in and the little madam bit me!

Fluffy (Mono's sister) went off her food, she gradually ate less and less but always demanded her seraquin tablet (for arthirtus), they are so far the only chewable tablet that any of my animals have liked. so on the day she not only didnt remind me that she hadnt had her tablet but also didnt eat it when I offered it to her I made a vets appointment. she had a tumour in her throat (some kind of sarquinoma) that was obviously causing problems with her eating. she had lost a lot of weight and we strongly suspected that it had spread so she was sent to the bridge at that vet visit. she had never shown any sign but was ready to go, like mono I held her but unlike mono she purred and cuddled into me and dribbled (a sign of contentment for her) as it happened.

no regrets for either and given the time again I would probably do it the same again.

to add my vet is also an oncologist and has probably been driven up the wall by my pets as they don't ever display the standard normal symptoms of any illness, but I trust him with their lives and dread him retiring.

my thoughts are with you and blackie whatever you decide to do

Guest budsmom

One of my kitties had mammary cancer and I had 4 tumors removed from her over 4 years. No chemo, the vet said that as long as the tumors hadn't gotten into the body cavity he could remove them. Once they did get inside the body cavity, there was nothing else to do. I'm so sorry, kitties are so stoic it's so hard to know when they don't feel good.

Guest Energy11

I don't have a kitty, wish I could, but not with my high prey greys.

I just wanted you to know we are sending you love, hugs and prayers for your precious Cat!

My cat Quinn had nasal cancer that had already spread to at least one lymph node when we discovered it. Treatment wasn't really an option, both because chemo probably wouldn't work, and including because he hated going to the vet. Fortunately I had about two good months with him before it was time for him to go. I gave him all the love I could and took a picture of him virtually every day.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I lost my cat, K.C. to pancreatic cancer when he was 16. The first sign was his refusing food, even the water from tuna packed in spring water. My regular vet saw something suspicious on x-rays and referred me to a radiologist for an ultrasound. The sonogram showed pancreatic cancer that had metastasized to his liver. He went down hill very quickly.

I still miss that orange and white creamsicle cat...

gallery_15026_2920_5914.jpg
Marc and Myun plus Starbuck (the cat)
Pinky my AWOL girl, wherever you are, I miss you.
Angels Honey (6/30/99-11/3/11) Nadia (5/11/99-6/4/12) Kara (6/5/99-7/17/12) Cleo (4/13/2000-4/19/2014)

Antnee (12/1/2002=2/20/17)

Guest OurGreytLife

UPDATE:

Blackie's untrasound showed no spread of cancer to any major ogans or lungs. Very good news! He will undergo surgery this Tuesday to remove the growing mass. We're still undecided if we'll follow with chemo after surgery.

Thank you all for your replies, thoughts & prayers. Your input have been very appreciated and my heart goes out to those who went or are going through this also with their kitty.

Denise

Guest Energy11

Glad to hear about the positive ultrasound for Blackie! Hope all goes well and he is with you a long, long time! Love, hugs and prayers from here!

Glad to hear that positive ultrasound report. Sending good thoughts to youand Blackie. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

I'm sorry to hear about your kitty's diagnosis but glad to hear the u/s results. Since surgery is a good option for him now, I'd go for the chemo too. It will give him a greater chance of knocking out the cancer for good.

I lost a beloved kitty to gastric lymphoma. I did do chemo but I really shouldn't have. She was the first pet I'd ever lost & I know better now. The chemo itself went fine but she was too sick for it to help & she was 14. Your kitty's situation is different however & I wish you & Blackie much success.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Guest mcsheltie

I have had several cats with cancer over the years. And we have done chemo & radiation. They take it so much better than humans do. None of ours had much trouble with the treatment and we had good results. One was with a very aggressive fibro sarcoma and we got two more years cancer free before it returned. We've had two with mammary cancer. The first died of old age. The second is a year post treatment and still fine... knock on wood.

Since you have a good ultra sound, I'd go for it!

Guest OurGreytLife

Thanks for telling me about your chemo experiences. The only reason we're undecided about chemo is that Blackie's cancer is a pretty bad one to get. In a very short time it has gotten bigger & the doctors fear it's attaching to other areas internally. That is why he must undergo surgery ASAP. We'll know more about how extensive this cancer is when they get in there to remove it. :hope

One of our kitties had mammary cancer, and had three of the mammary glands removed. We gained almost 8 months before they came back, and we were able to keep her comfortable for another 8 months after they returned. She was old enough (16) that we opted not to do a second round of surgery.

We also opted against chemo (because of her extreme stress level at the vet's office - treatment would have been torment for her).

I really feel for you, but am heartened by the news that there was no internal signs and I've got my fingers crossed that the surgery gains you a great many happy years with Blackie.