Merlin Is Sick - A Day After His Vaccinations

I had a similar instance with a non-grey. I had a Scottish Terrier that would get sick (similar symptoms to what you've mentioned) after her vaccinations when she was about 6 years old, so the vet split them up. She received one at a time with a week or two between (no extra visit charges) and that seemed to stop the reaction. Maybe it was a lot for her system to process.

Glad Merlin is getting help and I hope he feels better soon.

Edited by Lacie

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never given Merlin NSAIDs... so I'm a little nervous about giving him the Rimadyl (I know that side effects can be quite common) and not entirely sure whether to wait until this evening to see if he just sleeps some of this off, rather than giving him meds.

Did Dr Katie say give it if he feels worse or that it would actually treat the reaction? If he's sleeping comfortably, you "might" want to wait. On the other paw, if it will bring down his fever or make him more comfortable, then you could try one when he wakes ... that was helpful, huh :unsure ?

Jennifer

large.Luna-siggy2.jpg.680c6a7875af13e962feb80ca4d0cfb7.jpg

Jennie with her hedgehogs and Guinea pigs, and remembering Luna, Queen of the Piggies

Guest SoulsMom

Oh Kerry, how very scary :( Is the rimadyl supposed to bring the fever down? Did the vet concur that this is quite possibly a reaction to the vaccine? I'm going to be at the hotel the rest of the afternoon working, but text me if you need anything :grouphug

Thanks Jennifer, just to clarify, the vet did suggest giving them to him to help lower his fever and make him less achy. She didn't say to wait and give it to him IF he feels worse.

However, I think I'll give it a couple more hours and see how he's doing. I need to go out shortly for a half-hour to walk a friend's dog anyway. I want to be here when I give it him the Rymadyl, in case it ends up not agreeing with him.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Energy11

I give Deramaxx with plain yogurt, and sometimes, a Pepcid AC, just in case of stomach irritation. Basically NSAIDS can irritate the stomach and GI tract, both in dogs and humans.

I remember, working ER, the ER Doc there would give Ibuprophen 800 mg (another NSAID), with Maylox. I thought that was a great idea.

You should be fine with giving Merlin the NSAIDS with something in his stomach.

Good Luck with all of this!

So sorry about Merlin- this has to be really scary. Hoping he feels better. :bighug

Last year, the local vet gave my dachshund lepto and rabies at the same time. He ended up getting sick that day, was lethargic, and seemed to have pain- to the point I couldn't move him off the bed or he would snap at me.

He got better, but then after reading up on it, found out the vet the should have never given him the vaccines together and that smaller dogs usually aren't administered Lepto.

http://i218.photobucket.com/albums/cc124/TgrrValily/CookieMac2009pt2/siggyyayayayayay.jpg

Waiting at the bridge: Buddy James, Cookie Dough, Shelby, and Mac. My angels :angelwings:angelwings:angelwings:angelwings

New dog mom to dachshunds Ginger and Ruger :banana:banana

Oh Kerry, how very scary :( Is the rimadyl supposed to bring the fever down? Did the vet concur that this is quite possibly a reaction to the vaccine? I'm going to be at the hotel the rest of the afternoon working, but text me if you need anything :grouphug

Yes, she said it's highly likely that the vaccinations caused his fever. :( If -- and it's a big if -- he gets the distemper shot again in 3 years' time I am going to ask for the individual shots rather than the combo.

The Rimadyl is to bring the fever down, yes.

So sorry about Merlin- this has to be really scary. Hoping he feels better. :bighug

Last year, the local vet gave my dachshund lepto and rabies at the same time. He ended up getting sick that day, was lethargic, and seemed to have pain- to the point I couldn't move him off the bed or he would snap at me.

He got better, but then after reading up on it, found out the vet the should have never given him the vaccines together and that smaller dogs usually aren't administered Lepto.

:yikes :yikes I hope the vet apologized!

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Flysmom

I hope Merlin feels better soon!!!

My Mom puts cool compresses on their dogs to try to get a fever down. Don't know if Merlin would tolerate that.

Our little Angel Kira, had seizures after she got the Combo vaccines years ago. After that she received the single vaccines over a few weeks.

I hope our sweet wizard feels better soon Kerry. I am much happier that my vet does the one shot a year program - no combos. That makes far more sense to me.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Huge hugs and smoochies to the big guy. Please keep us posted on his progress.

BTW, I thought Remadyl was for pain? Oh, well, I guess that's why the vets get paid the big bucks and I don't :P

Mary in Houston

Everyone has a photographic memory, but not everyone has film.

LAND OF THE FREE BECAUSE OF THE BRAVE

Kerry, sorry to hear about Merlin. Fiona has the same reaction when she get her vaccinations, particularly the Parvo shot. Our vet has her come in 1 hour before her shots are scheduled and they give her a shot of Benadryl. Since we have begun this routine she hasn't experienced the fever & "terribly ill" look that happened before. Perhaps this will work for Merlin as well.

Hope Merlin is feeling better soon.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

I had a similar instance with a non-grey. I had a Scottish Terrier that would get sick (similar symptoms to what you've mentioned) after her vaccinations when she was about 6 years old, so the vet split them up. She received one at a time with a week or two between (no extra visit charges) and that seemed to stop the reaction.

Cavalier, Winston, has a similar issue with vaccinations that began when her was about 10. We now split them over a couple of weeks and he gets Benedryl a bit before the vaccination injections. Before taking these steps, he usually had swelling at the injection site and generally seemed to feel punk--lethargic and grumpy.

Kisses to Merlin.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Guest luvdogs

This happened to my Westie once. She always had her shots without any reaction for years and then when she was around 14, she had a reaction. We took her back to the vet and thet gave her another shot which was described as the vet equivalent of Benedryl, then she was fine. They did then put a note on her file and they always gave her the Benedryl shot right after the regular shots, I guess they were worried it might happen again.

Sending lots of :grouphug and hoping the sweet Wizard is feeling better soon.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

BTW, I thought Remadyl was for pain? Oh, well, I guess that's why the vets get paid the big bucks and I don't :P

Yes, it is for pain - but it is also used as a fever reducer. And Merlin was very achy this morning.

I just took Merlin's temperature and he is down from 102.7 to 101.8!! :yay :yay :yay I took him into the yard and he peed and his eyes look much better now. He's still a little subdued, but I think he's on the mend... :goodluck :goodluck

I ended up not giving him any Rimadyl - I am going to monitor things and see how he does on his afternoon walk. If he looks stiff or looks as if he has aches and pains I will give him one with his dinner.

Thank you so much, everyone, for your advice, experiences, and good thoughts.

No more combo vaccine for Merlin, that's for sure.

Oh NO! Poor Merlin! I hate it when one of mine aren't feeling well. It just makes my whole world a bit off!

I'm glad he's feeling better though!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly