Merlin Is Sick - A Day After His Vaccinations

I took Merlin to get his 3-year distemper combo vaccine (last time he got it was in 2006) and his kennel cough vaccine yesterday. He's never had a reaction to his yearly kennel cough vaccine, but this is the first time he's had his distemper shot while he's been with us (we adopted him in 2007).

Well, he is not doing so well. He got up 5 times in the night and came to me, which usually means he's cold and wants me to put a blankie on him. He also drank twice in the night. He never does this.

The 5th time I got up to tuck him back in he seemed very warm. :unsure There was something about his eyes - I knew something was wrong. When I got their leashes he didn't move, I had to coax him out of his bed and he walked around in a very lethargic fashion. I took him out anyway and we walked slowly - and he peed 5 or 6 times and pooped as soon as we left the house. He has never ever done this in the nearly 3 years we've had him. So I took him back home and put him on the couch with blankies and woke up DH to keep an eye on him. Then I went out with Sagan.

When I came back, he still looked ill but was sleeping, so I let him be. I just offered him breakfast and he ate it all, and now his eyes seem a little better, but I'm going to stay home to watch him today.

When my vet opens at 8am I am going to call them to ask them if this is normal. Yesterday I administered the head vet tech, who administered the vaccines, and she said that reactions are very rare and usually they occur within minutes of the shot being administered.

Has anything like this happened to your grey?

Edited by MerlinsMum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to send hugs to our wizzard Merlin. I hope that he feels better very soon.

Carol Ann

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

The kind of reaction the vet tech spoke of was an allergic reaction, and they do usually occur within a short period of time, but I've had an iggy who didn't develop facial swelling for several hours.

With many vaccinations, particularly the DHPP, it's not uncommon to develop mild "flu-like" symptoms, particularly with this vaccination as it contains live attenuated virus, as opposed to killed virus. This usually subsides in a day or two. The other problem that can develop is that this type of immunization can trigger an immune reaction which could possibly lead to an ongoing autoimmune problem (such as my Lexi's immune mediated polyarthritis, which, we believe, was triggered by the DHPP).

I'm sure your vet will be able to tell you what you can expect, and what's considered normal after immunization. I hope Merlin is feeling much better this morning!

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest trevdog

Trevor had a reaction once when they were all administered together. He got pretty sick and afterwords we always kept the vaccs separate. So yes sometimes it can happen. My vet will sometimes give an antihistamine as well to counteract them.

I can imagine how worried you are about Merlin. I hope that talking witht he vet will relieve your mind and that poor Merlin will be feeling better very very soon.

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

Oh my goodness, Kerry, I am sorry Merlin's having a reaction like this. Hope that he will feel better today.

Sending hugs and well wishes.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I hope Merlin is feeling better this morning.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest sinaminsmom

With our first grey, the vet updated all her shots at the same time - poor Bailey laid there for two days (sorta like she had the flu, just too tired for anything) After that, we get one shot at a time - I think the problem was with the kennel cough vaccine. (JMO) It's more expensive this way, but they usually just charge me for a vet tech appt. and more important we haven't had any problems since. Hope Merlin is feeling all betterer this morning - Sinamin says extra cookies will help.

Guest Energy11

Sounds like a vaccination reaction. Usually it passes in a day or so, but calling or seeing the vet is a good idea. Some vaccination reactions can be severe. Merlin's sounds minor. POOR GUY!

From now on, you might want to just stick with Rabies and the Bordetella, depending on his age and exposure to other dogs.

Love, hugs and good luck!

The kind of reaction the vet tech spoke of was an allergic reaction, and they do usually occur within a short period of time, but I've had an iggy who didn't develop facial swelling for several hours.

With many vaccinations, particularly the DHPP, it's not uncommon to develop mild "flu-like" symptoms, particularly with this vaccination as it contains live attenuated virus, as opposed to killed virus. This usually subsides in a day or two. The other problem that can develop is that this type of immunization can trigger an immune reaction which could possibly lead to an ongoing autoimmune problem (such as my Lexi's immune mediated polyarthritis, which, we believe, was triggered by the DHPP).

I'm sure your vet will be able to tell you what you can expect, and what's considered normal after immunization. I hope Merlin is feeling much better this morning!

:nod

Feel better Merlin!

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Downtownhoundz

Kerry, I'm so sorry darling Merlin isn't feeling well..hope he gets better soon! My Ben had his first distemper shot a week ago with no reaction...he goes in for his booster next week.

Kerry I'm so sorry to hear that Merlin is not doing well. Vaccination reactions really scare me. What I have read lately is that it is recommended that you do not do the combo vaccines. If given they should be done singly and about 4 weeks apart to minimize any effects to the immune system. I don't know what you think of homeopathic remedies but there is one that is recommended to give prior to giving vaccinations as it is suppose to help clear the toxins from the body. I'll be keeping you and Merlin in my thoughts today and sending lots of white light.

It does sound like a vaccination reaction. Is giving a benadryl an option?? Good luck Merlin, get better for your Mom!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Sounds like the same reaction Heidi had to her last shots. We took her in for shots only a few months after we got her. They gave her the rabies, kennel cough, and distemper. Her reaction was similar. She had the shots around 3pm and by 8pm her eyes were glassy, her movements were very slow, she was lethargic and had trouble standing. I took her out to go potty and she needed help making it back up the stairs. It scared the heck out of me. I spent a lot of time checking on her that night. By the next morning she was doing a little better, but I think I stayed home with her that day just in case. About a day later she was back to her old self.

I hope he has continued to improve since this morning.

Christine- Mum to Betty (Nitro Ugly Betty), Hannah (Rj Have I Told U) and missing Heidi (Sendahl Eve) 04/21/2005-06/19/2013

Update - back from vet 10:35am

Thank you, everyone, for your good thoughts. They are so appreciated.

I spoke with the head vet tech after I dropped DH off at work (we carpool, so had to get that out of the way first). He was panting and felt too warm (it's 56 degrees here today, although it's sunny). She suggested I take him temperature. It was 102.6, a little elevated, so I just decided to take him in, especially as I knew my vet was working today... I just got back home. When I got there he was very stiff and hot and his eyes looked funny (they still do, a bit) the way they do when people/dogs aren't well. Dr. Katie examined him and we talked at length about what to do if he gets worse. She gave me some Rimadyl, just a few of the chews to cover the next two days or so.

I have never given Merlin NSAIDs... so I'm a little nervous about giving him the Rimadyl (I know that side effects can be quite common) and not entirely sure whether to wait until this evening to see if he just sleeps some of this off, rather than giving him meds.

Any advice?

From now on, you might want to just stick with Rabies and the Bordetella, depending on his age and exposure to other dogs.

He goes to playgroup frequently, and our group mandates distemper, bordetella and rabies vaccines. Well, I'm the organizer and decided on those three after consulting several vets... not sure if I should revise it or not, but that's a question for another thread, I guess...

Hey, Kerry, this is for you :hope

:rotfl :rotfl

:tomato29389221.gif:lol

Any advice is appreciated. He is sleeping right now. I am staying home with him today and possibly tomorrow, too, if he doesn't look better.

Edited by MerlinsMum

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Feel better sweetie. I have never had anything like this happen before...but I must say...I will always regret our lest wellness exam and shots for Flashy...he was never the same again. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.