Can Anyone Tell Me Whats Wrong?

Guest Phaedra3

Guest Phaedra3

Every 2 or 3 months, my grey has this throat spasm episode where she gulps air and makes loud gulping sounds. It could last up to 10-15 minutes and throat rubbing does not help. This will go on throughout the day with several milder episodes. I have discussed this with my vet and she thought it could be acid reflux. I have tried pepcid but that doesn't help. From all the videos I watched on reverse sneezing, there is no visual gulping involved. Has anyone experienced this with their grey?

Mine will do that if they have an upset stomach and are trying to keep from vomiting. Could be your pups has a tummy ache.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I experienced something that sounds similiar with my greyhound, Keno. Unfortunately, in his case it was caused by laryngeal paralysis. My vet had never seen it in a greyhound (more common in labradors), but the specialty hospital here diagnosed it. They had to sedate him and use a scope to make the definitive diagnosis even though he was showing all the symptoms. LINK

His was too advanced for surgical intervention by the time it was diagnosed, but if caught early many dogs can lead normal lives after the surgical procedure. I don't tell you this to scare you and I certainly hope this isn't what's going on with your girl. Hopefully it's allergies or something else benign. I just wish I'd known earlier what was going on with Keno. He may have been a candidate for surgery if I'd realized what it was when it first started. I do know that several people here on GT have greyhounds that have or have had laryngeal paralysis, yet most vets never seem to think about it occuring in greyhounds unless they see a lot of them.

Sending good thoughts for your girl.

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest littlesyd85
Monarch has Laryngeal Paralysis as well... She has a pretty severe case where she is panting all the time. Because of her age (8 years) and the fact that she only has 3 legs there really isn't anything to do. We could do the surgery but my vet isn't wild about that and since she isn't exercising rigorously there really is no point to the surgery. Here is a link to information about LP, The Pet Health Library - Laryngeal Paralysis. My vet did tell me that if there are any sudden changes or it gets worse to let him know... But it has been a year now with no changes. Good luck and keep us posted!

Guest my3greys

yes, my spencer does this, but I am sure it is because he licks himself so much from allergies, that a hair has gotten caught in his throat and tickles,,and he keeps swallowing, making gulping sounds, until it passes...then he is fine...hope this helps :rolleyes:

Try giving Zantac 150 about 30 minutes before meals.

Greyhound angels at the bridge- Casey, Charlie, Maggie, Molly, Renie, Lucy & Teddy. Beagle angels Peanut and Charlie. And to all the 4 legged Bridge souls who have touched my heart, thank you. When a greyhound looks into you eyes it seems they touch your very soul.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more then he loves himself". Josh Billings

siggie-7.jpg