Back From The Vet With Cruz

Guest greytexplorer

Cynthia,

here's another link about the cancer-cure-for-canines drug, Palladia. I thought you would be greytly encouraged if you read this!

I would ask my vet about getting the drug. See what s/he can do for you and the Cruzmeister.

You are in my thoughts and prayers.

:grouphug

~Pat

Cynthia, sorry to hear about Cruz. We had to have surgery on Toby's leg and in order to get clean margins there was very little skin left. It took awhile but he was able to slowly close the incision. We had to take him back in for them to clean and repack everything.

Will keep good thoughts for Cruz! I remember going with you to pick him up. I think he enjoyed the ride.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

Cynthia, sorry to hear about Cruz. We had to have surgery on Toby's leg and in order to get clean margins there was very little skin left. It took awhile but he was able to slowly close the incision. We had to take him back in for them to clean and repack everything.

Will keep good thoughts for Cruz! I remember going with you to pick him up. I think he enjoyed the ride.

Linda, I hadn't heard about Toby. I hope he's doing well now. He's the sweetest boy.

Can you believe it's been 3 1/2 years since that long, long drive to Michigan to pick up Cruz? I think we all enjoyed the ride once he quit whining. :lol

Tomorrow will be a long day. I'm trying not to worry. Your good thoughts help.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Sending my prayers. Our Pavé Maria had a pretty radical surgery at OSU for Mast Cell Tumor last winter. She is doing greyt. Please keep us updated. :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Thank you all for your good thoughts. It helped us both get through the ordeal of the day. I got him home around 6:00 and gave him his pain meds (tramadol). He's been whining and restless until about 15 minutes ago when he finally laid down on his bed and fell asleep. I just read that whining is a known tramadol side effect in dogs. :( He's whiney on a good day, so it's going to be a long night. He drank a little water but has zero interest in eating anything. I know that's not unusual, but it lets me know just how bad he feels.

Oops, I spoke too soon -- he's awake and crying again. It kills me that I can't make him feel better. :brokenheart

I'm supposed to limit his activity because of swelling. If his paw swells a suture or two will have to be loosened. He's not to do the steps to the back yard so I'm leash walking him into the front to potty. He does not like to potty on the leash. They sent home an e-collar to put on him while I'm at work. My poor boy, that will be so upsetting for him.

We go in for a bandage/dressing change on Friday. We should have the pathology report on Monday or Tuesday. Please send positive thoughts for the best possible outcome on this path report. I'm doing all I can to remain positive on this end. Thanks again for your advice and support greyt friends. I'll keep you posted.

ETA

The wound could not be completely closed because of the location on the leg and the size of the tumor. The whole leg is bandaged except for his paw at the moment. I'm to watch the paw closely for swelling. I know I'll have lots of questions about wound care when the bandage finally comes off.

Edited by galgrey

Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Is Cruz use to a muzzle? If so might be an option instead of the E collar and use a taped up muzzle instead.

Most of the time my crew is pretty whiny after coming home from surgery that first night. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Glad to hear you go back on Fri for recheck and bandage change.

Continued thoughts and prayers for you both

:hope

Guest dobiegrey

Thinking of YOU AND CRUZ and glad he did fine through the surgery, I wanted to write immediately to tell you about another option to the e-collar, petco carries it in the store and online, it is wonderful, my daughter-in-law got one for her little beagle mix and it works wonderfully, Dixie got so use to it she used it for a pillow and she cannot get to her stitches!! below is the link to the product, I could not remember what it was called so I when on their site and found it.

http://www.petco.com/product/100555/ProCol...at=OnSiteSearch

Lots more prayers and good thoughts coming your way from Sunny (HOT) Florida

Is Cruz use to a muzzle? If so might be an option instead of the E collar and use a taped up muzzle instead.

Most of the time my crew is pretty whiny after coming home from surgery that first night. Hopefully tomorrow will be better.

Glad to hear you go back on Fri for recheck and bandage change.

Continued thoughts and prayers for you both

:hope

He's feeling much better today. I've got a muzzle on him now and he's sleeping his Tramadol slumber. He doesn't particularly like the muzzle, but I know he'll like the e-collar a lot less! I'm sure he'd never worn one until I got him and he's doesn't have to often. I always muzzle when I have more than one dog in the car though. He loves riding so it's not a completely bad association. I don't have this one taped up. That's a great idea. Do you use masking tape?

Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers.

Thinking of YOU AND CRUZ and glad he did fine through the surgery, I wanted to write immediately to tell you about another option to the e-collar, petco carries it in the store and online, it is wonderful, my daughter-in-law got one for her little beagle mix and it works wonderfully, Dixie got so use to it she used it for a pillow and she cannot get to her stitches!! below is the link to the product, I could not remember what it was called so I when on their site and found it.

http://www.petco.com/product/100555/ProCol...at=OnSiteSearch

Lots more prayers and good thoughts coming your way from Sunny (HOT) Florida

I saw one of these at the vet's office on a German Shorthair Pointer. His human said he demolished the e-collar pretty quickly but the donut thing was working great. His incision was on his side and he can't reach it wearing the donut. Cruz's incision is near his wrist on a foreleg ... I'll have to check to see if this will keep him from getting to it. Thank you for the link.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

We normally tape up the muzzles with Duck Tape, but anything will work to just prevent his tongue getting to his incision :)

Glad to hear he's feeling better :)

Guest 4dogscrazy

Can anyone with this experience tell me what the tumor looked like? Reason I ask is that my new boy has a pink spot on the front of his back leg. I thought maybe he just got a boo boo somehow and it was taking a long time to heal, as all greyhounds do. But now I am wondering if it isn't something more serious. He does have a vet appointment on Thursday, so I will know for sure then, but anything to help put my mind at ease in the next two days would help. It has been at least two months, and I noticed the other day he has one in the same spot on the other leg. I thought he was just clumsy and possibly hitting the door on the way in and out. He is very young, and ALL boy. But it looks weird to me and he has been licking his feet a lot lately, and sometimes the spots too. Hope I'm not rambling to much!!

Just saw this Cynthia, I hope you have good news back from the vet soon - and I hope he feels better already!

2 Hounds Design Martingale Collars | 2 Hounds Design Facebook Page

2HDgtSiggy2-2_zpsebfc14a9.jpg
Alisha, Bob, Livvie (the 2.5 year old!) plus Mia Bella, Tippy, + Wahoo and Diesel the crazy kitties (and missing sweet Iceman, Paradise, Bandit, Cujo & Sebastian) in Indian Trail, NC