A Couple Of Health Questions Regardingly Italy...

Guest SuperiorItaly

Guest SuperiorItaly

First off and most importantly, I would assume that dogs can get a fever like humans do. I talk her to a kennel outing yesterday so she could run around and play with the other dogs. Today, she seems a little sluggish and has gotten up and laid in different places all morning. She's been panting a little bit so I've let her out on the deck to lay on her outdoor bed and get some cool, fresh air. She's laying next to me on the couch now and she feels warm, even on her head. Could she have a fever that she picked up from another dog or the community water bowl? It could just be me overreacting and she's actually fine. Just wondering if there is something I can do to make her more comfortable.

Also, and this is probably normal, but sometimes she appears to be having some pretty serious dreams. Her paws or moving and when she exhales, she lets out kind of a cough, puff, etc. for a period of about 5 mins. Is that just her dreaming and do a lot of grey do that?

Guest Energy11

She COULD have a fever. The lethargy, panting, and cough would make me suspicious, too. Normal temps for dogs are anywhere from 100.5F -102.5 F (38.0 C- 39.1 C)

You can carefully use a rectal thermometer to check her temp. Just be sure it is well lubricated, and you don't insert too far.

It might be possible that she picked something up yesterday ... hard to say. I'd take her temp, monitor her, and go from there. If this continues, of course, see her vet. Good Luck and hugs from us here.

Guest SuperiorItaly
First off and most importantly, I would assume that dogs can get a fever like humans do. I talk her to a kennel outing yesterday so she could run around and play with the other dogs. Today, she seems a little sluggish and has gotten up and laid in different places all morning. She's been panting a little bit so I've let her out on the deck to lay on her outdoor bed and get some cool, fresh air. She's laying next to me on the couch now and she feels warm, even on her head. Could she have a fever that she picked up from another dog or the community water bowl? It could just be me overreacting and she's actually fine. Just wondering if there is something I can do to make her more comfortable.

Also, and this is probably normal, but sometimes she appears to be having some pretty serious dreams. Her paws or moving and when she exhales, she lets out kind of a cough, puff, etc. for a period of about 5 mins. Is that just her dreaming and do a lot of grey do that?

Thanks! The sleep cough thing is something that she's done since I've had her. It almost seems like she's just having a really, really vivid dream because her legs and paws are moving when she's doing it.

Guest SuperiorItaly

I think she's fine, maybe just beat from yesterday or just a little hot. She ate her breakfast and drank water like normal. She pooped and pee like normal when we went for a walk. I'll keep an eye on it.

Guest TeddysMom

Usually it take 3-7 days for a dog to show symptoms after being exposed to a virus. Hope Italy continues to feel better. Maybe her muscles were just a little sore from the extra activity.

I would say she's a bit sore from the activity. It would be unusual for her to exhibit a fever that fast. And the panting and restlessness could be attributed to not being comfortable. We have a dedicated digital thermometer for the dogs. They're pretty cheap and work fairly quickly and accurately.

All mine dream very actively. My Angel Libby would actually "roo" in her sleep - very eerie in the middle of the night! Some are more vocal when dreaming that others and will bark, growl and make other dog sounds, though usually kind of muted as you've experienced. Running dreams are very popular too!

She sounds normal!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest SuperiorItaly
I would say she's a bit sore from the activity. It would be unusual for her to exhibit a fever that fast. And the panting and restlessness could be attributed to not being comfortable. We have a dedicated digital thermometer for the dogs. They're pretty cheap and work fairly quickly and accurately.

All mine dream very actively. My Angel Libby would actually "roo" in her sleep - very eerie in the middle of the night! Some are more vocal when dreaming that others and will bark, growl and make other dog sounds, though usually kind of muted as you've experienced. Running dreams are very popular too!

She sounds normal!

greysmom :D

Thanks, everyone. I think she was just beat from the kennel run. She was up last night and running around chasing me around the place, so she was back to normal.

One of the things I like best about letting Enza run is that she doesn't want to do ANYTHING the next day. So if I know that I will be particularly busy one day and she won't get her normal walks, I take her out and we play and play and play and play.

As for the dreaming - oh yeah. It's freakishly adorable too.