Size/type Of Pipe Insulation For Tail Protection?

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Guest Mom2Shiloh

My brand new (home Friday) girl, Agnes, unfortunately had her tail injured during the week before she came home and it got wrapped too tight (and no air access...) anyway long story short, the emergency vet yesterday had to work half an hour to get the bandage off, the tail is broken, disks were compressed by the bandaging, it's infected. I want it amputated :( :( I don't want to try tail sparing surgeryI want her to stop hurting. Meanwhile.. my daughter said there was good information on buying soft pipe insulation to be used for tail protection-- I was hoping to buy some and take it along to the vets. She will be seeing the vet who did her spay and having it done on Wednesday.

What size pipe insulation am I looking for? and other details if necessary?

and could we have a little white light on the side thank you

The "generic-sized" stuff, black, foamy pipe insulation- I think it's designed to fit 1" copper pipe. Here's some similar-looking stuff on the web:

http://www.thegreathardwarestore.com/Produ...&click=2744

The main problem is securing it- otherwise, it's just extra weight at the end of the tail. Wrap the entire tail if needs be.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

We've been through this! Pipe isulation works. I don't know a size, but have a picture:

JameyMay9-09.jpg

The pipe insulation is attached to the end of his tail, only about an inch was amputated off his tail. We had a special way of taping it on so it would stay on, putting the fur inbetween the tape- feel free to PM me for more details! It took a long time to heal, about 6 weeks or so, but- Jamey was diagnosed with osteosarcoma and I don't know if the cancer had anything to do with the extended healing time. Good luck Agnes!!

ETA, we just bought it at our local Hardware store (Rona).

Edited by mom2four

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

White light coming your way. Darn those tails. My grey had happy tail and it was amputated. We live in the snow country and if I had to do it all over again I would have had the tail cut shorter. When she has to go potty the tip of her tail pokes right into the snow and her tail gets so cold. Prayers and good thoughts coming your way.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Thanks!! She isn't having the surgery now till Wednesday morning but she's had more antibiotics and is on metacam and is Much more comfortable. and is eating well at this point (whew).

I will go to Home Depot tomorrow and get some-- looks WAY better than the lightweight plastic curlers I tried when my little Staghound had his tail damaged. That was a nightmare because the vet insisted on trying to "save the tail".. and in the end he had long healing followed by not one but TWO surgeries. Never again.

I'm familiar with taping over and under the hair on the tail to hold it in place but I'm going to p.m. you anyway because I bet I can learn something new -- thanks all..... :)

1/4 inch pipe insulation from Lowes or Home Depot. Idol had her tail wrapped for 6 weeks when we first brought her home. After the initial wrap we checked it every couple of days. The trick to keeping it on it to wrap some tape lightly around the tail and then tape the insulation to the tape, not the tail. Leave some exposure at the very bottom so some air does get in. Use about 6 inches, so you are covering more than you need to; I am assuming. This is much better than the hair curlers.

Idol's tail is perfect now and she had quite a few really bad spots.

Good luck and give it a try before you amputate.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

The best thing I found to help tape stay on the tail is to use a product called Elastikon (sp?). It will actually stick to the tail hair while still being able to take it off when you need to.

My Toni came with Happy tail too - bad enough that I thought we were going to lose about 6 inches. There were bones sticking out and a lot of necrois tissue. But we were persistent with weekly changes that included antibiotics and betadine washes. Her vet actually used the tube off a large syringe as a covering. It's rigid enough to protect the tail from further "happy" damage yet large enough that air can circulate around the injury and help healing. You just cut off the end part where the needle attaches and slide it over.

So we had her tail covered with the syringe, taped on with Elastikon, and then reinforced with vet wrap to help it stay on. She had quite a club weapon for about a month, but we ended up saving all her tail.

Good luck!

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest Greytluv

Oh, my. My Danger dog had happy tail so bad. It never really healed. I would get it healed up and he would break it again. We finally had it amputated. It was the best thing we ever did. He was so much happier after that.

Prayers and healing white lite for Anges.

Guest Mom2Shiloh

Thanks everybody. I didn't get a chance to get the pipe insulation today but will tomorrow on the way home from taking her to the vet. Today I've been working on the house (welcome home, Agnes, home under reconstruction.. sigh...)

The reason I'm going with the amputation is that she didn't Get 'happy tail".. she had her tail crushed in a door :( Then it got bandaged too tight for maybe 5 days causing extra pain, and a nasty infection. She has less than a five percent chance of the tail healing and after such a horrendous week I just want this to be over for her. She is doing so good it brings tears to my eyes ... and I got two kisses today too!! awwwwww

Edited by Mom2Shiloh

Oh poor Agnes! I would want her out of pain ASAP too. I hope she's feeling better soon. Best wishes tomorrow. :kiss2

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis