Finally Home! What A Journey It's Been

Guest redreed

Guest redreed

First off, there are just so many people who helped in bring Jocko home. Without them, I don’t know if he’d be here. I know he’d be in someone’s home, but this young guy was destined from the day he was born to be mine. There were just too many coincidence’s and odd happenings for it not to have been. There are so many folks to thank – for phone numbers, addresses, offers of help, and words of comfort. THANK YOU ALL!!!!!

In December of 2008, I noticed a new litter of pups that had just started schooling races. They were puppies from Torrey Pines and Jade Treasure. Torrey Pines was the sire of my sweet heart boy, Tiger Shark. I noticed that they were born just 3 months after I had to let Tiger go to the rainbow bridge

When I had to re-home Spyder in January, I was too heart sore to even think of adopting again quickly. I also wanted to let my daughter grow up a little bit. But I kept watching. By March, I knew that I needed to bring Tiger’s little brother home, when he was done racing. I’d never even seen a picture of him – but I knew he was my boy. Somehow, in my heart, I just knew. So I started searching for Jock Mahoney’s owners. I posted on a couple of different forums looking for the number of the farm. Thanks to several different folks, I got the number and called. It was a bit heart-wrenching though. When I called to speak to them about pre-adopting him, although polite, it was fairly obvious from the phone call that they were not interested in doing so. It was going to be up to me to keep vigil on this.

Then in early April, Jock disappeared online. I was so upset. I had attempted several times to find the kennel he was at in Derby Lane, and again lots of angels were helping me. I was just learning how to read the racing forms and results and to be honest I wasn’t very good at it. He raced on Apr 2nd and then not again for several weeks. I couldn’t find where he was and truly thought I’d lost him.

But he started again, this time racing in Naples Fl. YIPEE I thought. And I started inquiring again. I couldn’t make contact with any of the kennel owners (turns out because they were having their own issues) but at least I found out who did the adoptions there. He raced on May 9th (what would have been my mom’s 61st birthday) and then nothing. He didn’t race and didn’t race and didn’t race and nearly a month went by. People were sending me comfort and phone numbers and I so appreciated it. I tried contacting the kennel and the adoption group but there was no listing for the kennel and he wasn’t with any of the groups. I nearly gave up, it was just so depressing.

But our angels were watching. On June 12th, I got a pm from Gayle (Doodlebug) – she knew Jock and told me he was in a kennel that hadn’t been renewed, that he had been injured, but wasn’t done racing. She told me that the kennel owner’s that had her dogs would help me keep track of him. She thought he was going to be sent to another track.

But he wasn’t sent anywhere, Nancy and Paul, the kennel owners, scooped him up and brought him into their kennel!!!! SAFE and sound and he was all mine the minute he was done. Michelle (MichelleRenee) was so sweet and took some pictures of him (I hadn’t even seen him until then)!! I spoke with Nancy for the first time on July 22nd (the anniversary of my mom’s passing – yup, yup, too many coincidences) and she told me he was MINE, MINE, MINE!!!!!

So I waited. He healed from his injury and they started some schooling races in late July. Nancy thought he was going to do just fine. She told me to expect him in a year or two. Well… Jocko had a different thought. He decided that retirement from racing suited him just fine. She called me in August and asked me if I had been watching him race, and I had been. He was finishing in the last 3 (generally the last 2). Nancy told me he was done and was I ready for him? OH YES I WAS!!! Much earlier than expected, but my heart was just joyous.

She was willing to adopt directly to me, I would provide her with his neutering certificate and such. He was scheduled on a hauler that would drop him off to me on the NJ turnpike. I found that to be ironic – I picked Tiger Shark up at a rest stop on Rte. 78, I’d be getting his brother the same way. Then there was ANOTHER problem, I had a really bad chest infection. I could barely walk, let alone drive, plus I had to get everything ready. Even though I already had everything (I’d been ordering collars and belly bands the minute I found out he was eventually going to be mine), there was still no way I could do it.

So, yet another champion, Eileen McCaughern from REGAP CT agreed to foster him. She took him into her home and put up with my almost daily emails since mid-September. So I drove up to CT this morning, Eileen was AMAZING and I was so excited. We chatted and rambled and enjoyed the time. Then Jocko hopped up into the truck, and was asleep before I made it out of the driveway LOL!! He's so NOT exitable.

And so introducing… Jock Mahoney aka Jocko!!!

IMG_0154.jpg

Me and Jocko

IMG_0159.jpg

Eileen and Jocko

IMG_0163.jpg

Has not been pleased with the sliding doors at all!!

IMG_0170.jpg

Home - safe and sound

IMG_0174.jpg

:baloons:yay:confettiWelcome home Jock!!!! :confetti:yay:baloons:balloonparty

He is so handsome! :wub: :wub: :wub:

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Has not been pleased with the sliding doors at all!!

Couple stickers or some masking tape at eye level would be of help, and keep him safe. :)

CONGRATULATIONS! He's very handsome.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Welcome Home, Jocko!!! What a handsome boy you are!!!!

:confetti:yay:confetti

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest MichelleRenee

YAY!

Im so excited for you! What does he think about your daughter? What does everyone think of him?

I love your new signature. :colgate I hope you and your new boy have a magnificent journey together. Keep us posted. He is a beautiful boy. I've read your earlier struggles, and I really hope this all works out for you. It does seem like it is truly meant to be.

Blowing him some FL kisses. Florida is less beautiful without you Jocko.

:yay :yay

Welcome home Jock.

That's quite a saga. I'm glad it worked out. :)

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I love that story ... and Jocko is gorgeous!

MANY CONGRATULATIONS !!!

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest KansasGrey

Great story and ending. I have tears running down my cheeks. These wonderful stories and pictures get me every time. Welcome home Jocko, he is beautiful.

Jan

Guest TeddysMom

Welcome home Jock. What a heart touching story, thank you so much for sharing it. Some things are just meant to be. Congratulations...He is so handsome.