Frontline And Heartguard

Guest wjamg

Last year, my vet suggested stopping frontline for the winter months here in Ohio..a friend of mine also stops giving her dogs their heartworm medication..what do other grey owners do?

just wondered.

Chicago here...our vets recommend year round for both. :)

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Guest K9_Lady
Chicago here...our vets recommend year round for both. :)

The same here for Heartworm meds, year round.

I have only used Frontline twice this summer.

Edited by K9_Lady

Beth didn't have Frontline on her last December and I found a couple of ticks on her after walking in the woods in NY State! I'm only going to stop for January and February in Iowa. Heartworm meds all the time.

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest mickie37

Ohio here: my vet recommends year round Interceptor and Frontline, summer and fall. I live close to the river and mosquitoes appear with warm spells.

mickierules.gif

Ohio here: my vet recommends year round Interceptor and Frontline, summer and fall. I live close to the river and mosquitoes appear with warm spells.

mickierules.gif

Guest longdogs

Depends where you live. Heartworm is a year-round risk in a mild climate so we stick with treatment. We only use anti-flea products when we need to.

Heartguard year around in Florida, Frontline when I remember or think they need it.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Last year (in Chicagoland) I didn't give Heartguard to my hounds in the winter to save some money, and had to spend plenty of money dealing with hookworms as a result (my little girlie is a roadkill queen :sick) -- so Heartguard all year long in my house.

I do give my hounds Frontline once in the middle of winter (late December/early January), since I have bunny-catchers, and my first grey explained to me that bunnies have fleas all year long (um ... she taught me that lesson 3 days before Christmas).

Used to be April/May - November when I lived in the northeast.

Yup. I used to use them year round, but now things are really tight and since we have long, very cold winters here my vet says I don't need to use them year round.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Energy11

Year round HW preventative here in the N. Ga Mts., but I have stopped misting with the Adams, as I haven't seen any ticks, and had NO fleas at all this summer.

Interceptor/Heartgard year round.

Frontline year round but I usually go every 60 days in the winter months. Last year I wished I had stuck to every 30 days. Human houseguests brought fleas. Ai yi yi.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest littlesyd85
I'm in Ohio also... I use Heartgard year round. Heart worm is the easiest thing to prevent and to me it is a bigger deal than worrying about fleas. When it gets cold I stop giving Advantage until it gets warm again. Good luck!

Year-round Heartgard. I don't use Frontline on them at all because where we are there aren't a lot of fleas and ticks. When we move into our house on the open prairie I will use Frontline year-round as the ticks are bad there. It only takes a few warm days for those pesky critters to start waking up.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg