Demodectic Mange

Breeze, one of our new fosters has demodectic mange, a sweet little black 2 year-old girl from WV. We tried the Ivermectin, but she had a very bad reaction to it. I understand Interceptor is another treatment that is much safer and wondered if anyone had experience with it. It is one pill a day for 60 days unfortunately. A full thyroid panel was also done on Breeze and all the numbers are very low. We just started working with a homeopathic vet this week and will try that route. I wondered if anyone had any experience with demodectic manage. My first one and I hope the last. We also have another foster who started with seizures a couple weeks after she arrived. She is a red and white 2 1/2 year-old who is very sweet and loves people to death.

Suzanne

Jim had it when we got him, and my vet wouldn't use Ivermectin because he wasn't tattooed and we couldnt' be totally sure he had no collie in him. He was over-cautious perhaps, but he cared.

We bathed him every three days for about two months with Alugan which was an organo-phosphate dip. Horrible, nasty stuff, and not recommended for greys, I know, but we did it, and he survived, and lived eleven (plus) more years. He did have mild head tremors when he was old, and I wondered if the dip was responsible, but we'll never know, and without using it, the prognosis was grim - he had it over more than 50% of his body. :(

It recurred once, and we repeated the treatment, but that was it. We did use a herbal treatment to support his immune system, and also took great care not to stress him more than was unavoidable (with a chronically anxious dog), apart from that, nothing special. It didn't come back after that.

I think Alugan was withdrawn eventually, probably because of fears for public safety and the environment. I used to change all my clothes, swab down the bathroom and then shower each time I used it.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest Greytluv

My Piglet had it. She was on three different meds. Ivermectin included. We had to bathe her weekly. She was like that for a long time. If you need me I can look up the meds for you. She was a mess :wub: :wub:

Piglet217-1.jpg

We bathed him every three days for about two months with Alugan which was an organo-phosphate dip. Horrible, nasty stuff, and not recommended for greys, I know, but we did it, and he survived, and lived eleven (plus) more years. He did have mild head tremors when he was old, and I wondered if the dip was responsible, but we'll never know, and without using it, the prognosis was grim - he had it over more than 50% of his body. :(

I think Alugan was withdrawn eventually, probably because of fears for public safety and the environment. I used to change all my clothes, swab down the bathroom and then shower each time I used it.

Close. Alugan is an organochlorine (with one bromine stuck in there), as well as a cyclodiene- no phosphate groups. Still toxic as all git-out to bugs, also known as bromocyclen. Seems to have a very low toxicity to mammals. Banned just about everywhere.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

The manage is definitely a horrible condition from reading all the posts. We tried her on Ivermectin and she had some bad reactions. My vet does not recommend the other drug that is used now because she thought she wouldn't handle it well either. Just did a telephone consult wiht a homeopathic vet. I am really hoping she can fix the problem.

Manage on 50% of the body must have been terrible. Breeze has about five small areas. One on the head and the rest on the back legs.

Lime Sulfur dip is nasty smelling but quite safe.

Just as important as treating the demodex is figuring out what is causing her immune system to be weak, but it sounds like you're already doing that.

Best of luck!

Lynn

My first grey in 1996 had this condition and I used to take her to the vet every 10 days to get iher dipped in a solution which I later found out was BAD! If I had to do it over again I would contact Marina at www.naturalrearing.com. She has safe and natural supplements for this condition. I wish you luck. At least it will not spread to the other pets or you.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest keegsmom

At our shelter we use Promeris (more commonly used for ticks/fleas). It has just recently been approved for demodex, and we have seen dogs with longstanding mange clear up entirely within two months. Its very easy, you just apply it like Frontline, and we have seen no adverse effects. There have been studies done comparing using it monthly or every two weeks--both ways work. We apply it every two weeks in severe cases. It has worked wonders with our dogs.

Guest greytloves
My Piglet had it. She was on three different meds. Ivermectin included. We had to bathe her weekly. She was like that for a long time. If you need me I can look up the meds for you. She was a mess :wub: :wub:

Piglet217-1.jpg

:kiss2

Bless Piglets poor little pink skin!!

We've used the ivermectin and a sulphur shampoo for the ones that I've had with it.

Guest TeddysMom

With boxer rescue, we bathed 2x per week with Sulf-oxy-dex shampoo. Wash once, rinse, lather again, let set for 10 min then rinse and let dry. We would use Mitaban dip, available through the vet, once every 2 weeks. Sulf-Oxy-Dex shampoo as usual, mix dip as directed, sponge all over, I would put them in the tub with stopper, and keep soaking sponge and applying until I was sure every inch was covered. Wear rubber gloves with the dip. It never bothered me but some people have a reaction to it.

Edited by TeddysMom

Guest TeddysMom

I forgot to add that the more I have read about greys the more I think the the Mitaban dip might be too hard on them. I hope you can find something that will work for this baby without making her feel worse. I have heard good things about the Promeris but have never had any experience with it.

Mitaban is more often used for Sarcoptic mange.

It is nasty stuff, but greyhounds aren't any more succeptible to side effects than any other dog (or human... you're supposed to gown up in full Darth Vader-esque PPE to use the stuff... talk about scaring the crap out of a dog).

Lynn

Guest TeddysMom

The gloves were such a hassle and the dip would get in the gloves and on me if the dog happened to shake that I just didn't bother. I never had any reaction and none of the dogs did either. They were bummed out by being wet for half an hour or so but it worked. Because of reading some of the posts on the forum, I think I am just more paranoid since Teddy is my first grey.

I always put the mange dogs on Missing Link until they got their immune system back to normal.

The vet thought Promeris was too risky for Breeze. She had a pretty severe reaction to the Ivermectin. I talked to the foster mom an hour ago and she said Breeze was a totally different dog today. I guess the Ivermectin is out of her system now. But she is calmer and back to eating. I think the homeopathic vet is the best option. If that doesn't work, we'll try Interceptor. After her spay, Breeze had a meltdown and I had to take her back to the vet for a shot. The mange spots started showing up after her spay. Haven't seen one react so strongly before. We started her on whole food supplements for her immune system and also for her thyroid. She sees the homeopathic vet next Tuesday. The same vet is treating Esther, a foster who has had three seizures. The last seizure was very light and only lasted a couple minutes. Keeping all paws and crossed here too! I have been reading up on the demodectic stuff. And I thought it would be simple when my vet told me about it. Thanks to all who shared their experiences.

Suzanne

Poor little Piglet! I guess I can see where she got her cute name! :wub:

Close. Alugan is an organochlorine (with one bromine stuck in there), as well as a cyclodiene- no phosphate groups. Still toxic as all git-out to bugs, also known as bromocyclen. Seems to have a very low toxicity to mammals. Banned just about everywhere.

Ah .. thank you! Obviously I remembered that wrong - though I knew it had 'organo' in the name! It was about 1993 that we used it! :lol I did get the impression that it was very toxic, from the vet, though. :dunno Glad to hear that wasn't the case for me and Jim.

Manage on 50% of the body must have been terrible. Breeze has about five small areas. One on the head and the rest on the back legs.

Yeah, he was a mostly white dog and very pink, like poor Piglet. His face was affected, and also his entire self up to about two thirds the way up his ribcage. Looks like it started feet and nose and just progressed.

Just as important as treating the demodex is figuring out what is causing her immune system to be weak, but it sounds like you're already doing that.

My understanding is that while there can be other conditions that predispose the animal to allowing the mites to multiply and cause huge problems, the mite itself is an obligate canine parasite which most dogs have living on them. And also that there is a strong genetic predisposition in some dogs, who will acquire it from their mothers and continue to have relapses of demodex outbreaks until their immune system matures properly at about 12-18 months. Seemed to be the case with Jim, because there was nothing else wrong with him, until he developed heart disease he was a very healthy dog!

At our shelter we use Promeris (more commonly used for ticks/fleas). It has just recently been approved for demodex, and we have seen dogs with longstanding mange clear up entirely within two months. Its very easy, you just apply it like Frontline, and we have seen no adverse effects. There have been studies done comparing using it monthly or every two weeks--both ways work. We apply it every two weeks in severe cases. It has worked wonders with our dogs.

Now that sounds great! I hope it continues to be successful and becomes more available. :thumbs-up

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest iconsmum

My understanding is that demodex mites live on dogs and people by the thousands but are not a problem unless the dog is unhealthy at a basic level or stressed. A weak puppy can develop demodectic mange because its mother is a (normal) host. I bouught a retriever puppy from an Ontario breeder that had the typical bald eye area, cheek area and foot area. She also came to me with lice, fleas, a fever, and green stuff coming out of her nose. I absolutely wouldn't dip the dog in anything - it's all chemical and way way too tough a thing to do...the poor dog's system is reacting to external or internal stress/disease in the first place...often is there's demodex there's other problems that you need to find fast and treat. In my case, a course of clavimox for the green gunk, lots of one on one time and soft attention, no stress, lots of fluids (stocks, broths, etc), no kibble, but only really good protein to eat, and diatomaceous earth for the fleas and the worms, and in a month or two I had a good as new puppy. She also was diagnosed with SAS (heart), so you wonder about whether you may just have a slightly weaker specimen that needs more tlc than maybe a tougher sibling in the litter. hope any of that helps

What a difference in Piglet now!

Breeze is doing better. The homeopathic vet is treating her as she had a very severe reaction to the Ivermectin. She is more relaxed now and back to eating very well. Her foster mom is very relieved that she is eating better. We are giving her Stanard Process supplements for her thyroid too.

It must be a full moon as we took in two foreclosure dogs - two 7 year-old sisters. These two greyhounds lost their home and are not in the best of shape. Previous owner told me they only left their house once in five years. One is limping and the problem is in the shoulder. First x-rays showed nothing, thank doG! The brindle girl has to wait on her dental because of her blood work, but the white and brindle girl is going for another x-ray and a dental Friday. Teeth are terrible. Sassy and Julia are very sweet girls and will be available for adoption in a few weeks. Hint hint.....

Suzanne

:wub: Piglet :wub: So glad she's doing better now!

I've only dealt with a few cases, and they just had a few spots here and there - we used the Ivermectin therapy and then they went to the vet a few times for some kind of dipping. It took a couple months but they got through it!

I have seen several blue iggies that are susceptible to demodex, which would support the genetics theory :nod

Glad to hear that your homeopathic vet has some treatment options since the Ivermectin was a bust :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--