Anyone Have Any Experience With Using Diapers?

Guest gmangel12

Guest gmangel12

Hi! My greyhound, Red, will be 14 in december. She would have accidents once and a while before but these past 2 months they have been getting really bad. Sometimes its less then half and hour after taking her out she will pee on the floor. Other times it looks like she does it in her sleep and did not realize it.

I was hoping it was a UTI bec that would be a easier fix but they ruled out all the typical problems and said they think its just incontience (sp?) from her age. They said they have a pill for it but we dont want to do that. Im just worried about the pill somehow affecting her other organs. We feel very lucky she is in pretty good health at her age (knock on wood) and dont want to add anything else into her system. So im looking into the diaper option. Has anyone tried them? Does the urine still leak out of the diaper? Also everytime she goes in the diaper we would not be able to give her a bath (a few times a day) So are the wipes from the petstore good enough. I dont want her fur to get pee all over even though she does not have too much on her butt but still that wont be good for her either. Any suggestions or advice would be really appreciated! Thanks

The pill suggested was probably Proin (pronounced pro - inn). There has been some debate here regarding it but I've heard more good than bad. As a cleanliness and comfort issue for Red, it might be worth giving it a try.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest Energy11

Yes, the Proin is a good product, and works pretty well for incontinent dogs. RE: the diapers, no experience with dogs, but a friend used them on her Tory, when she lost feeling in her hind end. They worked well. Good Luck with you baby girl!

Don't be afraid of the medication! That being said...

When Isabella was losing bladder control toward the end of her life, diapers were one of the things we did if I had to be away for more than a few hours, and overnight. I measured her and bought human diapers - cut a slit for the tail and voila. I had to put tape around the hole slit because the inner fluff of the diaper would come out otherwise, so I guess it took me a couple of minutes to "prepare" each diaper. They actually worked really well for urine - they're designed for babies and have all the wicking action so they're very absorbent while staying dry next to the skin. I would still baby-wipe her, though. The ones I got had cute little cartoon characters on them so it seemed to bring a little cheer to a grim duty. She didn't seem to care one way or the other about wearing them.

The only problem was if she pooped in them. Then it would be poopy bath time which was not fun for either of us.

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

I've used proin before with success, but especially in an older girl, I'd be concerned about cardiovascular side effects.

OTOH, I used DES (diethylstilbestrol - hormonal therapy) very successfully for my senior Robyn. It's initially used daily but can be quickly tapered down, and I was down to one capsule every 2 weeks by the time Robbie was 14. It worked wonders, had no side effects, and is easily compounded by vet pharmacies.

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest mcsheltie

I haven't used human diapers. But have used "dog diapers" a lot. I put an ultra sized Depends pad (or half of one depending on the fit) inside it. This link is for Sam's Club. Get the maximum absorbency and you won't have to worry about leaks. I have used them on long haired dogs and they do not get any urine on themselves.

I've used dog diapers too Fosters & Smith Female Pet Bloomers Lined them with human male incontinence pads, as mcsheltie said, use the maximum absorbancy. No leakage that I can remember.

When our girlie pooped in them it was not a big deal - she had nice, firm stool so it'd wouldn't be messy at all. We'd give her a wipe with a baby wipe after we took her diaper off, to make sure no urine or anything was on her skin. She wore them for over 2 years and it worked out fine.

Sara formerly on Greytalk as Mommyof3
Gone, but still part of our family and always in our hearts:
Bruiser Isa Comander To 6/23/91-11/20/03 Sandy NSK Special Up 10/19/89-6/13/04 Beau Bdk's Boo Boo 1/1/93-12/15/06 Cooney Lars Dbltakedean 11/1/93-1/23/07
Buddy 2/9/1997-11/16/09 Joe Elkhart Joe 11/7/99-12/2/10 Alex Streakin Diablo 4/17/02-4/1/11 Brother Hylife Brother 9/26/97-2/28/12

Comanche Gil's Comanche 6/7/2005-11/7/2015 Molly 4/8/2011-4/13/2018

I too have used the dog diapers with depends pads in them for our old lab mix girlee the last year or so of her life. They worked pretty well, just make sure to have more than one of the diaper holders so one can be washed. If she pooped, it was usually a mess though, but that didn't happen too often. She was almost 17 when we sent her to the bridge, so she was incontinent if she fell asleep. As long as she was awake she was fine.

As far as clean up, don't waste money on the pet wipes, they are too expensive. Use baby wipes, much cheaper, and if they are good enough for a baby's gentle parts, they are fine for a dog.

Mom to Toley (Astascocita Toley) DOB 1/12/09, and Bridge Angel Opie (Wine Sips Away) 3/14/03-12/29/12

Guest gmangel12

wow some great advice thanks I will be going to the store tomorrow ! As far as the meds go thanks for the suggestions. Even though many dogs do fine on them if something did happen a little while after starting her on them I would feel like it was my fault. I would rather put up with some pee and poop then take the chance of anything else going wrong. It does get frustrating though! :-)