Canuck Riley's Gimpy Leg

gryhnd2

Hi all,

Last night when I got home from work I noticed Riley was limping again. He's had a number of anti-inflam shots in the 3 1/2 years we've had him as he's always had issues with his back right leg since he was retired, but yesterday's limp was the worst I've seen yet. When I gently felt around his hip and leg he actually cried out, and he was doing his best to not put any weight on the bum leg.

First the good news... we took him to the vet today for another X-ray (he had one earlier this year during his dental) - still no sign of any problems with his bones. :clap But we were sent home with some Rimadyl (2x daily for 7 days and once daily for 14) and we're to restrict his exercise during this time as well. The vet thinks it might be a muscle tear, and suggested referring him to an orthopedic vet and possibly have an ultrasound done.

Anyone have any experience with this type of injury? Thoughts? Suggestions?

Please keep our otherwise perfect, sweet boy in your thoughts.

Kathy

Kathy with Riley (Hoosier Baby) and Brogan (Cold B Brogan)

Guest Energy11

Looks like you are on the right track! Maybe some moist hot packs on the effected area, but, other than that ... no, you are doing everything right! Love and hugs from here!

Sounds like a good thing to look into (ultrasound would be good to confirm or rule out any muscle problems), but I would also look into chiropractic and acupuncture.

My Fritzy has some issues like that due to a small racing injury. On occasion his hip is just "a little bit out" and he needs an adjustment.

We also see it very frequently with the broodies that we get from the farms. After having those babies, their hips get a little out of whack!

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Riley has had chiropractic adjustments when we first got him, and it provided at least temporary relief. We have an opportunity to see a chiropractor at a greyhound event this coming weekend. The local group we got both Riley and Brogan from has an annual half marathon/fun run, and this year a local chiropractor is offering adjustments for hounds and people in exchange for a donation to the group. Think we just might do the drive to the event. If it helps him at all the chiropractor's office is very close to where we live.

Sounds like a good thing to look into (ultrasound would be good to confirm or rule out any muscle problems), but I would also look into chiropractic and acupuncture.

My Fritzy has some issues like that due to a small racing injury. On occasion his hip is just "a little bit out" and he needs an adjustment.

We also see it very frequently with the broodies that we get from the farms. After having those babies, their hips get a little out of whack!

No brilliant ideas that haven't been thought of already. Just :kiss2 for sweet gator-jaws Ry-Ry. Hope he feels better soon.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Thanks Aimee. Gator-jaws is wolfing down a treat as we speak... not that his pain was preventing him from leaping up for food before, but it's nice know he's more comfortable now.

No brilliant ideas that haven't been thought of already. Just :kiss2 for sweet gator-jaws Ry-Ry. Hope he feels better soon.

Kathy