Need Opinions On Tooth Scraping

Guest jillz

Can't decide weather to have my girl's teeth cleaned it's set up through a rescue group and is basically a way to clean the teeth without needing anesthesia, the before & after pictures looked impressive, I believe the dental group is called Hounds tooth. It's a lot cheaper than a full cleaning with anesthesia, was just looking for advice.....

A vet that used to wander this forum now and again didn't care for the process, noting it didn't get below the gumline, which is where the bacterial inflammation causes gingivitis and eventually tooth loss.

I'm personally big on feeding raw turkey necks for cleaning, while feeding a raw diet that prevents that sort of thing from building up in the first place. Not a viable alternative for most, of course.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest LindsaySF

It is not a substitute for regular dentals, but it can help a lot. What do your girl's teeth look like? Has your vet recommended a dental cleaning? If her teeth are in good shape this cleaning can get some plaque off between dentals.

Guest FullMetalFrank

If it were available near me, I might consider it for my hounds. They don't have gingivitis, the vet is satisfied with the condition of their teeth, and they eat a mostly raw diet; so for them it would be more of a cosmetic procedure. I would not do it on a dog with gums that bleed, or excessive plaque build up, or has generally poor teeth. If the teeth are in need of a thorough cleaning, I'd see the vet.

Guest UESBrindle

We used Houndstooth when we first brought William home. It did knock a lot of the plaque off and made his teeth look a lot better. She did recommend we take him in for a regular cleaning where they put him under because he had receeding gums that were starting to expose the roots of the teeth, and she gave us a name of someone in our area that I was really pleased with.

I think if you only do full dentals every 2-3 years, it's a good "inbetween" thing to do if you can afford it, but certainly not required if you brush regularly. I also found that once he had his full dental and we brushed regularly, nothing much has been building up.

Good luck!

If it is just scaling off the plaque without then polishing the teeth it sets them up for more and quicker plaque build up because it creates small rough edges for the stuff to cling to. You really need to brush well.

Edited by packmom