Vomiting And Diarrhea

laurie

Rhem started tramadol around a week ago--he started having some diarrhea after about 3 doses. After a couple days of that, things settled down, but this morning he threw up twice (looked like last night's supper). And my brother-in-law, who lets Rhem and Rose out for me every day while I'm at work, just texted me to tell me Rhem is having diarrhea again.

Anybody see this with tramadol before? Seems like if I remember right, tramadol usually causes constipation, not diarrhea (at least in humans).

:unsure

Edited by laurie

Laurie

**& Angels Emily, Beatrice, Okie, Rhemus ,Vixen, and Rose-always in my heart**

Guest Energy11

Tramadol effects everyone and dogs, differently. Really hard to say. Could be a combo of everything. Have you tried giving a Pepcid AC about 35-40 minutes before the Tramadol?

Good Luck, and sorry your baby is soo sick!

No, no other changes. Haven't started prednisone. I just talked to the vet. Bland diet, stop all meds and supplements (tramadol, mucinex, pepcid, fresh factors, joint health), picking up some medication (I think he said metoclopramide) on my way home.

:( My poor sweet baby.

Laurie

My heart breaks for you both. No advice, just prayers.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I don't know if this helps, but Tramadol makes me puke. (It's marketed for humans under the brand name Ultram and Ultracet, and maybe some others.) Quite suddenly and unexpectedly too, which was inconvenient at work. :ohno Now I mark it down on all my medical records as something I'm allergic to.

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

Sending prayers for you and your sweetest boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

He won't eat boiled rice and boiled chicken. He's still having some diarrhea, but no vomiting since yesterday. He is drinking water. I'm going to boil some hamburger and see if he'll eat that. Is salt free chicken broth or beef broth ok? What else can I offer him? I know some people give vanilla ensure, but won't that irritate his stomach? What about pedialyte?

:(

Edited by laurie

Laurie

Pedialyte is basically water with some electrolytes in it, no calories.

Unsalted or low-salt broth is fine. If you just have regular, you can always mix it 70-30 with water to make lower salt.

Hoping he will eat the beef for you and it will stay down.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

Low sodium/salt free beef and chicken broths are fine, as well as Pedilyte. I mix it, OR Gatorade in water 50%/50%. If he won't drink the fluids, you CAN gently force feed them in small amounts with a turkey baster, so he stays hydrated. I also think the Vanilla Ensure would be fine. Whatever you give, do in SMALL quantiles, many times a day, which should help.

Hope thing helps, and he feels better soon!

I hope Rhem is feeling better soon.

I can't take Tramadol either, it totally spaces me out and I get sick.

Let me know if there's anything I can do. When Vic's dog was sick from a reaction to Previcox, she

was able to get him to eat frozen yogurt w/ peanut butter when he wouldn't eat anything else.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Just got back from the vet--he started having bloody diarrhea and vomit so I took him in. He's being treated for an ulcer. He had a liter of fluids with electrolytes this evening, and carafate. They left his IV in, and I take him back in the morning. He'll stay the day with them and get more fluids and bloodwork.

Laurie

Selly had an ulcer too from 2 doses of Previcox. He pulled through and was fine after a couple of days. Hopefully

Rhem will too.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05