New Greyhound Guy!

Guest ThreeOhFive

Guest ThreeOhFive

Hi all!

My name is Aaron, I live near Oregon, Wisconsin, and have two retired racing greyhounds, Annie and Sara. Annie is nine, and Sara just turned seven. We've had Annie since she was two and have had Sara since she was four. Annie is a small fawn female, and Sara is a large white and brown female. Annie was a real racing flunkie, she raced less than ten times and was retired after interfereing in a race several times before completing a lap. She's pretty social, and a bit unfocused, so she didn't last too long. Sara was a good racer that had a long successful career, but was retired due to sore hocks. They are both wonderful dogs, and a great pair. Annie is the alpha dog, and Sara seems to be lost without her around. Luckily we have had good luck with our dogs! They are great for our family. We did have a large brindle male named "Benny" that we adopted and had for a few months, but he wasn't working with Annie very well. He didn't like her alpha personality and marked all over our house and was very destructive, so we unfortunaley had to go back to GPA and he was adopted by a couple who still has him and loves him very much. We were in the process of getting a third greyhound, one we found on GPA Wisconsin named Bircardi (sp?), a very small female brindle that looked a little worse for wear. We met her at the kennel and she was so sweet she captured our hearts. Even while running with the other dogs in the yard, upon calling her name, she would look over at me, and run over and lick my fingers. She didn't look very well and we thought she would get better at our home. We adopted her, and she went off to a vet so she could be fixed. It was only about a week later that we got a heart wrenching call from the vet that Bircardi had made it through the operation, but collapsed and died during recovery. It turned out that she had an enlarged heart and the stress of the operation killed her. She woke up from the procedure, was walking around, and then she collased. We were devastated, as was the vet. She'll be remembered in my heart forever. What a great dog she would have been. Even while writting this, it's hard to hold back the tears. Maybe someday, we'll adopt another greyhound, but for now, we are extremely happy with the two that we have been blessed with.

Now, as for myself, I am 18, and currently attending Herzing University in Madison, Wisconsin. I still live with my parents (it's expensive to live in Madison!!!) and look forward to getting my own place soon, and being able to adopt more greyhounds of my own. I am no stranger to forums, I am an active member on many car forums, (hence my name "ThreeOhFive"). My name is derived off of my first and current car, a 1992 Camaro RS that I am very proud to own :)

I joined Greytalk because I too am a greyhound lover, and I am doing a project for one of my classes about greyhound racing. I have done many projects throughout my schooling on this topic, and my professor, after learning that I am a greyhound owner, told me she would like to know more about them and Greyhound racing.

I hope to be a member of this community a long time, and I thank you all for reading my introduction, pictures of my dogs are soon to come!

Have a great day everyone!

Sincerely,

Aaron (ThreeOhFive)

Welcome Aaron -

I'm so sorry about Bacardi, that's just awful and it sounds like she would have had a wonderful loving home with you and your family!!!

Could you post some pictures????????

Guest ThreeOhFive

I've only got a picture of Annie right now. It's on my cellphone. She was sound asleep on the couch! Here you all go!

Thanks for the warm welcomes, and yes, Bacardi was a great girl, wish she could have been with us!

Annie.jpg

Guest TheUnrulyHound

Welcome from North Texas!!! Hubby used to have a 89 Camaro Iroc-Z but we traded it for a 66 Mustang fastback ;)

So sorry to hear about Bacardi, I have a special love for the brindles, she sounded like a real sweetie :beatheart

I think you will enjoy it here :clap always good to meet another greyhound lover!

:wave Greetings and Welcome from New York. Very sorry to hear about your girl Bacardi. It must have been devastating for you and your family.

I'm sure you'll love this site - lots of good info, fun talks and news about greyt events. :wubsite

2013-Beach-2.jpg

Mimi- mom to Burdette (KB's Burdette), Sophie (LL's Stupid Is) and bridge babies Kelsey (Kelso's Logo), Sterling (Cold B Tiger), Fritz, Tasha, Chloe and Molly

Hi Aaron!!

Greetings from Gainesville, Florida!! :welcome2

You will love Grey Talk! Annie sure is a cutie pie. Feel free to share lots and lots of pictures of Annie and Sara with us!! :)

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Welcome from LI, NY.

Your Annie is beautiful.

I wish my 18 year old was into the GHs!

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Welcome from NC. My husband and I are 23. We adopted our first grey about 2 months ago. I wish that when I was growing up someone would have told my family how great greyhound are as pets!

Hi, Aaron! :)

so sorry to hear about Bacardi!!! :( :( :( :(

we're fellow GPA-WI adopters (did you make it to the Gala this past weekend??) as well :D :D :D

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest ThreeOhFive

Hi! GPA-Wisconsin is a great adoption agency, we have had nothing but good experiences with them! I wonder how many of us here live in the Midwest and have dogs from there! I didn't make it to the Gala this year unfortunately. It's a pretty long drive and I had a prior engagement with my girlfriend. Hopefully next year I will be there. We were there last year, and almost every year before. Maybe sometime my pooches could meet yours!

Thanks for all the reply's I look forward to getting to meet you all, and become a supporter on GT :)

Welcome...it's so greyt to hear when young people love the breed too! you probably participate in more social networking and can be a greyt advocate for greyhound adoption.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross