Weight Bearing Toe Amputation

Guest amour

Has anyone had experience with front "weight bearing toe amputation? What were the results? How did the dopg walk afterwards? How long of a recovery?

This is the pad of which a major corn was surgically removed removed about 14 days ago. Now the vet said the toe has fibrosis and is hard thru and thru. Have only had my boy about 6 months. I'm lost!!!!????

Guest littlesyd85

I have never had this experience, but I do have a dog who has a horrible corn problem! Also my girl not only has a "mutant" corn, as my vet calls it, but it is one her only front leg (she only has three legs).

My advice is not too worry... He will adjust, it will just take time. Have you thought about purchasing a TheraPaw boot to help with his recovery? You may want to consider it, these boots are very good!

Guest carmasims

our boy chevelle, had to have a middle toe on his front left paw amputated shortly after we adopted him - recovery was ok after it was suggested we use colloidal silver spray on it! prior, not so great as no antibiotics were prescribed.... whole other story, that... :rolleyes:

he has absolutely NO issues or problems walking, running and doing crazy zoomies in the backyard at ALL. i don't have a picture handy, but unless you looked down, you'd honestly NEVER know :colgate

good luck with whatever you decide, but in chevelle's case, it was the best thing we could've done for him!

Guest jziegler

My Zephyr had a middle front toe amputated before we adopted her. We suspect it was an injury while she was still racing. It does not slow her down one bit. I don't know enough to say it would be the right thing to do, and a second opinion is always a good idea for something major, but he will probably do just fine if you do decide to amputate.

Add on to previous post:

The vet and I are in no hurry to do amputation because this is the toe next to the middle one going to the outside of the paw. Will try to get second opinion but don't know where to go.

Guest littlesyd85
Like I said before, a toe amputation isn't an option for my girl because she only has three legs... My vet did say that if it becomes to debilitating for her than they can actually cut the nerve to that particular pad. That way she would still have it but there wouldn't be any feeling and it won't hurt so bad anymore. He said that was a last case scenario. Anything you can do without doing that is best. You should really think about a TheraPaw boot, at least for walks. It has been very successful for me. My vet was the one who recommended it.

Toe amputations are really not that big a deal - I don't mean to downplay the risk, certainly - but they do really fine with only three toes on one foot. My Dude had a weight-bearing toe amp on a back foot and you can't tell at all by his behavior.

greysmom :D

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Larry had a weight bearing toe amputated last year due to a very bad dislocation. He recoved very well. I on the other hand, am still tryin to find the missing nail when I dremmel that paw!

Cosmo (Fuzz Face Cosmos), Holmes (He's a Dream), Boomer (USS Baby Boomer), Ella and missing our angels Clay (Red Clay), Train (Nite Train), Trip (Bock's Teddy Bear),Larry (Bohemian Frigid) and Jimmy (Bohemian Raw)

Guest TheDoggfather

He'll be just fine and his quality of life will magnify 10x's.

That said, just be aware of what's going to happen. Inside toe amp's take a while longer to heal than outside toes. Well, not the 'healing' per se, but, rather the recovery. We've had racers who had an outside toe removed and a week later, they'd be using that same foot. I had one of my pet's inside toes removed and she took a whole lot longer than that to trust that foot.

You're also going to have to be diligent on dressing/bandage changes. We have a boy in our kennel now who recently had an inside toe removed and we do 2x a day bandage changes w/ laser treatment. It's only about 10-15 minutes doing this, but, it's something you HAVE to do.

Good luck to you and your boy in making this decision.

Sam had first knuckle of middle weight-bearing toe on right hind foot amputated about 3 months ago. He is doing great on it and now puts his weight on that foot which he had stopped doing because of the pain. He seems so much happier now and I am glad we did it. We are big believers in the therapaw boot and used it all the time while he recovered and to keep him from licking the paw at night (put it on loosely then and off in day for air).

Will try to get second opinion but don't know where to go.

Where do you live?

Alabama

He'll be just fine and his quality of life will magnify 10x's.

That said, just be aware of what's going to happen. Inside toe amp's take a while longer to heal than outside toes. Well, not the 'healing' per se, but, rather the recovery. We've had racers who had an outside toe removed and a week later, they'd be using that same foot. I had one of my pet's inside toes removed and she took a whole lot longer than that to trust that foot.

You're also going to have to be diligent on dressing/bandage changes. We have a boy in our kennel now who recently had an inside toe removed and we do 2x a day bandage changes w/ laser treatment. It's only about 10-15 minutes doing this, but, it's something you HAVE to do.

Good luck to you and your boy in making this decision.

[/quo

What do you mean by laser treatments? I know what laser is but you did them yourself?

Guest Shermanator

Patton had the 2nd toe from the outside on his rear right leg several years ago for a nasty corn. We debated between removing the corn, or amputate right away, and I made the decision to have the corn removal surgery. It was a mess. A huge chunk of his toe was removed, and it took a very long time to heal. And the corn came back. We then amputated, and in comparison to the first surgery, it was a cake walk. Less stitches, not as large of a wound, and it was a faster healing time. He was up and moving around immediately, and his quality of life improved 10x. His entire stance and gait changed, since he was in so much pain before, he used to walk crooked, and now has a straight gait. He is a happier dog, and I am a happier momma since he is not in pain anymore.

Don't get me wrong, it was a hard decision, I did not want to start cutting off toes for corns, but I am so glad we did it. He runs, trots, walks, plays, so much better now.

What do you mean by laser treatments? I know what laser is but you did them yourself?

Our vet has hand held laser units that he lets his patients rent for $25 a month to speed up healing of open wounds.

Betadine soaks, followed by 10 minutes of laser therapy twice a day is the treatment. After just 3 days the difference in this boy's foot is noticable, and he feels so much better.

Patton had the 2nd toe from the outside on his rear right leg several years ago for a nasty corn. We debated between removing the corn, or amputate right away, and I made the decision to have the corn removal surgery. It was a mess. A huge chunk of his toe was removed, and it took a very long time to heal. And the corn came back. We then amputated, and in comparison to the first surgery, it was a cake walk. Less stitches, not as large of a wound, and it was a faster healing time. He was up and moving around immediately, and his quality of life improved 10x. His entire stance and gait changed, since he was in so much pain before, he used to walk crooked, and now has a straight gait. He is a happier dog, and I am a happier momma since he is not in pain anymore.

Don't get me wrong, it was a hard decision, I did not want to start cutting off toes for corns, but I am so glad we did it. He runs, trots, walks, plays, so much better now.

Sounds like the same toe as my boy except that his is the front paw. The toe next to the little toe? I wonder if the weight bearing issue is different in front and back.

Thanks

Thats the toe my foster had removed. Now that is all said and done and the healing is over It took about 2 weeks after the bandage and sutures were remove that she used the foot all the time (no limping on it) All is fine and she is still Heck on wheels. I would just add that if you do it make sure to keep it dry and NO LICKING. Guen did a number on hers and tore some of the sutures so she has a bit of a skin toe (thats what it looks like) where the webing is and should have healed together but she tore/licked it open.

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08