Greyhound Behavior -

Guest max10greyforeve

Guest max10greyforeve

:( I am not certain whether our 10 yr old grey is acting out or something is happening. This is something he has never done before. He has taken to pooping where he sleeps, which I know is quite out of the ordinary. He also would poop whenever we weren't at home, even though we let him out before we left. Then, after destroying his pillow and then a blanket, I've given him some throws (cannot keep buying pillows). We admonished him (in fact for a day or two, I took away his sleeping blanket and/or pillow). He seemed to straightened up and everything was fine

Today, as I was feeding him, he started pooping. I made him stop eating and put him outside. I left him outside for awhile, and now he seems fine. Any thoughts from anyone on this matter? We would be interested to know if anyone else has had this problem or something similar.

Is this new behaviour? It isn't normal for a dog to poop while he is eating - or waiting for food. I would get him checked out by a vet. It's not impossible for a male grey around ten years old to have prostate trouble, or it could be several other bowel- or nerve-related issues, or even something metabolic. I'd get a full physical exam and geriatric bloodwork.

Actiing out? Not the first thing I'd think of, and to be honest, you're achieving nothing by taking away his bedding. Whatever the cause of the problem, I wouldn't do that to a ten year old with arthritis possibly on the horizon. Can you get a few duvets from charity/thrift stores to use? Or ask on Freecycle, if you have a group near you, someone may have pillows or duvets to spare. Or there are tough 'anti-chew' beds out there with cordura covers etc. They're expensive, but you'd only have to buy one. I doubt he'd destroy one of those.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Are you sure he's only 10? "Oops-poops" become fairly common among elderly dogs as they lose their sphincter control. They can feel it coming but they can't get to the right place fast enough. Was he just standing there eating and the poop kind of fell out of him? Or did he stop and assume the position?

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

When my Ridgeback started with the oops-poops it was due to a major health issue that resulted in our having to put him down. Champion was 12 years old. Please take your dog to the vet. Praying that it's nothing serious.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

Guest Energy11

I'd take him to the vet as well. The "pooping on the spot," could be many many things. If he hasn't had a senior blood panel lately, that would be in order.

Hope it all turns out well for you guys!

Please don't punish him -- he can't help it. Needs a vet visit. May be lumbosacral stenosis or similar nerve issue.

When our elderly whippet had similar problems, one thing we did that helped minimize cleanup was to take him out shortly before eating and walking him around a bit so he would empty then. That way, he could get through his meal without having oopses.

Hugs and best luck with your pup.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest littlesyd85
I'm going to have to agree with everyone else... He seems to have a medical problem. Pooping while eating is very out of the ordinary, take him to the vet. I'll keep you all in my thoughts!

I agree with everyone also, at 10 years old they don't usually start acting out, this is probably a medical issue and he needs to see a vet as soon as possible. Taking away his blanket I doubt is the answer, he still needs something to lay on and it is not his fault he might have a medical issue. Since he has never done this type of thing and has all of a sudden started you have to think medical problem first.

Guest ctgreylover

Get some enzyme cleaner. I used to wrap a comforter in a huge trash bag and then put a dog bed cover over that when my first grey peed everywhere. I did a lot of laundry but nothing was deeply saturated so it cleaned easily.

get to the vet, this sounds medical.