Bertie Has Been Diagnose With Colitis

Guest cassie234

Guest cassie234

hi all, i wrote a topic on here a few weeks ago about bertie having the runs, well he then pooped out "jelly" so i rushed him to the vet....and he was diagnosed with colitis :(

he is on sulphasalszine (500mg) for the next 2 weeks, then if it flares up majourly the vet gave me buscopan (10mg) to stop it from getting too bad.

i understand that if the following happens bertie will have a "flare up":

*gets too excited,

*too scared,

*sudden change in diet

*rich treats/too many treats

so he is now on greyhound20 biscuits and white fish or chicken.....also once a week i am allowing him to have 1 piece of "dried rolled up red fish"

is there anything else i need to know.....just thought i would ask just incase :)

Guest greyscot

Sorry about poor Bertie. My boy Sporty is subject to flare ups of colitis - he has spent time in the vets on a drip because of dehydration due to colitis. Have you considered that Bertie could be sensitive to chicken? A lot of dog foods have chicken in them and through trial and error I found out that chicken (and wheat) aggravated my boys colitis. I now have him on Orijen 6 fish kibble - nothing else - and he has had no flare ups and no runny poop since starting him on this. The down side is it is possibly the most expensive dog food on planet earth :omg. I see you are in the UK like me so here is a link to a site that sells it - it is not easy to source in the UK.

http://www.mutleyandmog.co.uk/search/0.0/orijen%206%20fish

I hope you find something to help your boy.

Guest cassie234
Sorry to hear about Bertie's colitis! Hopefully, with the proper diet, he will do well.

Love and prayers from here.

thankyou all for your support; berties tummy has been brilliant since ive been to the vets (he has 10 days until he stops his tablets) the chicken and white fish seem to be working ok, but if it flares up again i will keep in mind that it might be the chicken!!!

also is turkey to strong for him? one of his old favourites was tripe, but he cant have that anymore, bless him!!! :):colgate

You might also try some probiotics for Bertie. You should be able to find probiotics at your local health food store. It has helped our Dylan tremendously with his bowel problems....Good luck

Also yogurt with live cultures. I would recommend "Fage" as it does not have any bifidobacteria.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest cassie234

so far his tummy has been perfect!!!!!

ive found that he can eat dried rolled up red fish, and he loves it!!!! but he only eats it every 3 days or so....and only one piece as i really dont want him to have an "attack"

:)

hi all, i wrote a topic on here a few weeks ago about bertie having the runs, well he then pooped out "jelly" so i rushed him to the vet....and he was diagnosed with colitis :(

he is on sulphasalszine (500mg) for the next 2 weeks, then if it flares up majourly the vet gave me buscopan (10mg) to stop it from getting too bad.

i understand that if the following happens bertie will have a "flare up":

*gets too excited,

*too scared,

*sudden change in diet

*rich treats/too many treats

so he is now on greyhound20 biscuits and white fish or chicken.....also once a week i am allowing him to have 1 piece of "dried rolled up red fish"

is there anything else i need to know.....just thought i would ask just incase :)

Personally I would worry less about the first two trigger factors you have listed...true they can cause an upset tum, but colitis is a bit more than that...the second two points are the important ones...feed him a bland diet and avoid any sudden changes or new ingredients (including treats). There may be a particular trigger food for Bertie's colitis or it may be a combination of things, it will take time to find these out.

Something that I have found useful in warding of an attack of the Big D turning into colitis is a product called Pro-Kolin, it is a paste that contain kaolin with soothes the lining of the colon and pro-biotics to help the natural gut flora.

Here is a LINK

<p>"One day I hope to be the person my dog thinks I am"Sadi's Pet Pages Sadi's Greyhound Data PageMulder1/9/95-21/3/04 Scully1/9/95-16/2/05Sadi 7/4/99 - 23/6/13 CroftviewRGT

Oh no, I am so sorry it got worse. Poor guy. It's a good thing you figured out what it was.

For those of you who mentioned probiotics, do you have any suggestions on which ones? Are there dog-specific ones? I'd rather use that than yogurt, if possible.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Oh no, I am so sorry it got worse. Poor guy. It's a good thing you figured out what it was.

For those of you who mentioned probiotics, do you have any suggestions on which ones? Are there dog-specific ones? I'd rather use that than yogurt, if possible.

Why not yogurt? Concerned about the cow proteins? Just curious.

"Fortiflora" by Purina. Never tried it.

http://www.purinaveterinarydiets.com/Canin...l.aspx?prod=244

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

The reason I do probiotics over yogurt is because the brand I use has about 15 different strains. It has been and Godsent...The one I use I order from www.mercola.com-

More isn't necessarily better. One of the strains commonly employed in human probiotics has never been proven to have been isolated from humans. Somewhere along the line, the records got lost.

I do agree they are very powerful, and of much greater utility than is generally appreciated. One of the most important aspects of probiotics is their ability to modulate immune response; if human immune response goes really wacko (colitis, Crohn's, cytokine storm from sepsis, etc.), the solution consist of tumor necrosis factor alpha (TNF alpha) inhibitors- a very powerful (and expensive) set of drugs designed to combat autoimmune disease that originally spawned from research in controlling Gram-negative sepsis (and from that, cytokine storm and- frequently- death). These injectables run about $1000 to $3000 per shot.

Interestingly, many probiotics have the same effect- they combat tumor necrosis factor alpha- and do so locally, when used to fight IBD. From this, their effect is local rather than systemic, which prevents other issues- including the development of cancer or rampant infection (caused by quenching the immune system so abruptly). Similarly, other supplements (vitamin D, selenium, and certain components found in fish oil) do the same job. When all four are used in combination- probiotics, vitamin D, selenium, and fish oil- the net result can be the strong correction of an immune response gone haywire.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Why not yogurt? Concerned about the cow proteins? Just curious.

"Fortiflora" by Purina. Never tried it.

http://www.purinaveterinarydiets.com/Canin...l.aspx?prod=244

Just because Lucy is still having poop issues and we're trying to figure out what the cause is, if we need a food change or more fiber or what....so I'd rather not throw another food add in into the mix right now, but figure probiotics can't hurt.

Thanks for the link. Maybe we will try that for now.

Edited by RedFawnMom

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.