Should I Be Concerned?

Guest limbrooke83

Guest limbrooke83

My girl, DeeDee, has had a habit of pooping two or so times a day since we got her. Often she would poop once, then a few minutes later, go again. We just figured this was par for the course for our girl, and since the poop looked healthy, we let it go. Over the past few weeks since our move, however, she seems to often go 3 or 4 times in a row before she's finished. At first all her poo was runny (yuck!), but we assumed it was from the move. Sure enough, it firmed up, and now the first time or two she goes it's usually firm, and after that it's what I call "runny leftovers."

DeeDee doesn't seem to be straining at all to go. She also has a habit of peeing many, many times, especially at the dog park where it seems almost like she's marking her scent (do females even do that?). She'll continue squatting every so often for a few seconds to pee even when there's nothing left to come out. Her pooping habits seem to have changed to match the peeing ones, if that makes any sense. It's frustrating for us because we have to take a million poop bags with us whenever we go out with DeeDee, but mostly I just wanted to make sure this is normal.

As I said, she's always had the habit of going twice within a short time frame. It's just that now she'll go 3 or 4 times instead, and often closer together (i.e. finish pooping, take five normal steps, get into position, poop again, wait one minute, repeat). Do any of your hounds do this? If so, is there something we can do to encourage her to get it all out in one go? Thanks!

As long as the poop is firm and healthy, I wouldn't worry. Fletcher is a repeat pooper on walks, and now Molly has picked up the habit :rolleyes: , although they usually space it out a bit more. I don't know anyway to change this, I'll be interested to see what others have to say!

BTW, I have a fenced back yard, and they never poop more than once there :lol

Guest kodywyoming

When I was a teen I worked in an animal clinic/kennel taking the dogs out for their potty breaks...and yeah, saw plenty of this.

Zoey is also a "marker." In the back yard, she'll do one good pee, but when we go on walks, she stops every couple minutes to dribble on some choice bit of grass (and sometimes, much to my chagrin, the sidewalk).

At least she hasn't peed on any more of her toys since the first one... :huh

Some girls do mark. Ours will on walks.

We have a basset mix that does the poop thing. He won't leave all the treats in one spot, and prefers to mine the entire yard.

Has she been vetted recently, and is she on a good worm preventative?

Guest limbrooke83

Thanks everyone! To answer the questions - yes, DeeDee has been to the vet recently, although not for this. And yep, she's on Interceptor (and Frontline Plus for fleas/ticks).

I'll stop worrying now that I know it's normal... thanks again! :D

In my experience, the runny poop is when the dog is almost out but still wants to keep marking. Not a problem (well except for the grossness of picking it up). :)

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest onegreydog
In my experience, the runny poop is when the dog is almost out but still wants to keep marking. Not a problem (well except for the grossness of picking it up). :)

Speaking of this....has anyone found the best way to do this?

i got these bags called "mutt mitts" from amazon. they are easy to use and bio-degradable. it makes the task so much more pleasant that i don't mind paying for bags. also, the part with the poop is reinforced, so the smell doesn't come thru like with regular shopping bags.

2rqyqhd.jpg

Guest limbrooke83

i got these bags called "mutt mitts" from amazon. they are easy to use and bio-degradable. it makes the task so much more pleasant that i don't mind paying for bags. also, the part with the poop is reinforced, so the smell doesn't come thru like with regular shopping bags.

I'm a big fan of mutt mitts also - MUCH better than other poop bags I've tried, and definitely worth the extra cost. I love them so much, in fact, that I ordered them in bulk to save money. If you go to http://www.pickupmitts.com you can get 1 case of 800 Mutt Mitt bags for about $65. They also come stapled to header boards for easy hanging if you want to hang them near the door or somewhere easy to grab on your way out. Love 'em!

Carl pooped 7 times during one walk, he normally poops about 4 - 5 times per walk. His sister (littermate), Claire, poops once, maybe twice a day and never on walks. Pooping seems to be as individual as their personalities.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest onegreydog

Thanks so much for the info. I will have to try these.

I'm a big fan of mutt mitts also - MUCH better than other poop bags I've tried, and definitely worth the extra cost. I love them so much, in fact, that I ordered them in bulk to save money. If you go to http://www.pickupmitts.com you can get 1 case of 800 Mutt Mitt bags for about $65. They also come stapled to header boards for easy hanging if you want to hang them near the door or somewhere easy to grab on your way out. Love 'em!

Thanks for the web site. :)

I know how you feel. When we first got Shadow I was worried about how much he would poop on a walk. And by the end it was pure liquid. I eventually learned that it's just the way he is.

We walk for 1/2 mile every morning, and in the 1/2 mile the record is 7 poops - 4 from him, 3 from his sister. In 1/2 mile! We had a dog walker come in during the day when he wasn't feeling well and she couldn't believe how much both of the pups poop :rolleyes::P

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)