Aaron's Vomiting

Guest caelanarcher

Guest caelanarcher

Sorry, I'm probably just a crazy new mother, but Aaron started vomiting a little bit ago, and I'm kind of freaking out. He did it once in his crate, and once after I let him out but before I got a leash on him. DBF has him outside right now. How do I know if I need to take him to the vet?

This is probably the TMI part. It's yellow vomit, no chunks at all. He was showing a little discomfort about an hour ago, but I thought he was just shifting around trying to find a comfortable spot in his crate (and maybe he was, and I'm reading into it too much). So do I take him to the e-vet? Do I just give him something to settle his stomach? If it affects matters at all, he's got his first regular vet visit in about.... 5 hours. If it's serious though, there's no way in heck that I'm waiting that long. What do I do?

Guest SoulsMom

If he's retching and retching (whether or not anything is coming up) consistently and obviously uncomfortable, then yes-consider the e-vet. But if it's just a couple of hurls and he seems ok otherwise I'd wait and see.

Edited by SoulsMom

Is it almost time for breakfast? The reason I ask is some greyhounds, when they're really hungry, will vomit yellow bile. I usually give my a before bedtime snack to prevent them from doing this. You may find once you feed him he may feel just fine. If he vomits his breakfast then I'd let his tummy rest a while and see how he does.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest caelanarcher

The vomiting happened at around 4:30 am, and breakfast isn't until 8:30.

After the second little pile once he got out of his crate, Aaron seemed to be perfectly fine. A little coughing and some stomach gurgling for a few minutes, but then he was chipper as ever (and even woke up our roommates by THWACK-THWACK-THWACKing his helicopter tail against their door. Sorry roomies). We gave him a little bit of water, and after polling everyone I trust the most when it comes to dogs, the general consensus was that it probably didn't warrant an e-vet trip unless it was (a) projectile vomit (B) bloody vomit © vomiting for a long time or (d) non-productive retching.

Poor guy's fine now, although we'll probably give him rice and chicken for a couple of meals just to make sure. I'll also bring it up with the vet this morning, but after thinking about it, it's probably just that he licked or ninja-chomped something he shouldn't have during his walk last night.

Thanks for putting up with my new-mom craziness, everybody!

Guest Energy11

Could give him a Pepcid AC with some plain yogurt to settle his tummy. Surely couldn't hurt. As the other said, if he has a little vomit, and seems fine .... no worries, but if he continues vomiting, and showing discomfort .... Evet. Hugs and good luck to you!