Spinal Stroke

BauersMom

My foster suffered a "spinal stroke" last night and lost complete use of his back legs. Got him to the e-vet who gave him steroids and morphine, and I got him into Tufts today.

MRI showed that he has an embolism - about mid-back. He still has deep pain senses and some minor motor skills, so the vet is very positive about his prognosis.

Has anyone dealt with this sort of rehab before? I don't know if it's the same as FCE, which I did see a bunch of GT posts on - but in those cases, it all seemed one sided. He has total loss on both back legs. So I guess I don't know if we're facing FCE or a different type of stroke or what or if it even matters.

The vet will call me at 10am tomorrow to let me know if we can take him home, and I'm working on my list of questions to ask (when I got the call that he was going to recover, the only thing I could think of was "hooray!").

I'm not exactly sure what it is we're in for... he's only been here 2 weeks to boot. Poor guy. :(

Edited by BauersMom

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

It sounds like FCE to me, and the prognosis IS positive. Most dogs make a full or near-full recovery with time. All the dogs I've known had bilateral back end paralysis, not just on one side.

Rugrat's Rebel (Simon) 09/03/1995-03/22/2010, Silly Savannah 05/14/1995-02/13/2009, Isabella de Moreau the Sloughi 05/15/1993-10/14/2008, Hammy the IG 06/11/04 and ChiChi the Chihuahua 2003

We had a little girl at the kennel that suffered a spinal stroke. Apparently it can happen from them standing for too long or something :dunno

I know that we just took careful care of her, she was on some meds for a while, and she was not allowed to play in the yard, she had to use the small run for potty time.

I don't know much about her treatment other than that but I could find you someone who would know more if you like, just PM me.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Cora had a one-sided FCE (Fibrocartilaginous Embolic Myelopathy or Fibrocartilaginous Embolism) which affected the back leg more than the front. It occurred just 3 months after she'd broken the other back leg, so she was basically a one-legged dog for a time.

Since his back end is gone, you'll need a sling. I got a fairly inexpensive adjustable one from my vet. When Cora was stronger, I switched to a harness (the Ruffwear Webmaster), which is easier on the human but doesn't support the dog's back end as well as the sling.

Cora too had deep pain response and some movement and the vet was encouraging. She has made a remarkable recovery--almost 100%.

As I understand it, the causes of FCE are unknown, and recurrence is unlikely.

Edited by GreyPoopon

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Thank you all!

I went back and looked at Cora's story. Pretty amazing.

My foster is about 80 pounds. Luckily we are set up with no stairs, but I've still got to figure out how to get him support without killing me in the process.

Do you think that harness plus a sling for his back end is a possibility?

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Do you think that harness plus a sling for his back end is a possibility?

Yup. I did that for the first few days. I had the harness on Cora 24/7 so I could catch and steady her when she got up, and added the sling for the ramp, stairs, and pottying. When she could stand up without staggering, I took the harness off and just used the sling. When she got steadier still, I switched to the harness, put on as needed.

If you're tall/strong enough, you can use the harness to carry the dog as a suitcase. I'm not quite strong enough to lift 66 lbs right off the ground with one arm. :P

I meant to mention in my previous post: here's the PetPlace stuff on FCE: FCE. I don't know how many variations there are of spinal stroke; I don't suppose it matters much in terms of what you have to do to support him as he recovers.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

P.m. me your address. I have a specialty sling (that means expensive -- it's GANs) I can let you use.

btw - acupuncture will help.

Thank you!!

We already do acupuncture for one of my seniors, so I will totally bring him.

We just got him home. He's totally unwieldy on his feet, and once he gets going, it's like steering 80 lbs of drunkenness. He has problems getting up and stable, but when he starts walking, watch out.

The official paperwork says "FCE or concussive disk", but that the treatment for both is essentially the same. The MRI found "Focal T11-12 intramedullary hyperintensity, non-compressive myelopathy". So I guess bright spot on the MRI, no compression of the spine?

• 4 weeks later...

Here we are about 3 weeks post episode...

Hunter leaving Tufts, his weight entirely being supported by my husband...

Hunter last weekend:

:thumbs-up

He still is a little unwieldy with his back legs not always doing what he wants them to do... but what an improvement!

That's wonderful! :yay Hunter looks like such a happy boy - I'm so glad he's done so well.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Hunter last weekend:

He still is a little unwieldy with his back legs not always doing what he wants them to do... but what an improvement!

OMG Emma, he looks great!!!!

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

Wow - he has done amazingly well! Our Bumper has an autoimmune disorder that caused swelling in his spine. Essentially the same impact - ataxia - drunkeness. We are now 9 weeks post "worst" episode and he is about 90% and still has trouble with lateral balance in his back legs. The first video link above looked oh so familiar. Our neurologist explained that healing nerves takes a long long time (not new news) and that recovery, at least in Bumper's case, would be months. We still hope for improvement.

I wish I had seen your original post a few weeks ago...I could have commiserated with you :ohno

So glad to see the improvement in your foster boy. Here is something interesting - we first fostered Bump when he came off the track and he had medical issues. After having to work hard at nursing him back to health (last Jan), we couldn't just let this guy be adopted out, after all, we doted on him so much he became part of the fabric of our family in no time. Maybe the same will happen to Hunter? :chip:dunno

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Oh wow, just look at him go! It seems like he has a bit more control the faster he's going :)

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

wow, he looks great!

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

So glad to see the improvement in your foster boy. Here is something interesting - we first fostered Bump when he came off the track and he had medical issues. After having to work hard at nursing him back to health (last Jan), we couldn't just let this guy be adopted out, after all, we doted on him so much he became part of the fabric of our family in no time. Maybe the same will happen to Hunter? :chip:dunno

I'd love to keep Hunter. Heck, I'd love to keep all my fosters! :lol

But, he deserves a home without two broodies constantly hen-pecking him. :P

He's going to make someone a great pet. He's your typical big, goofy, loveable greyhound male. Not so much in the brains department, but sweet as all heck.

Here's another video, from a few days after we brought him home.

Edited by BauersMom

Guest lynne893

Hunter last weekend:

Holy smokes, that's amazing! Hugs to you two for seeing him through this with flying colors!!!!