Is This Commom Practice?

Guest mhall

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The vets I work for probably charge about 50% of the time. If it's a good client or it's a pet we've been seeing for a long time, rarely will they charge. We only charge $15 for euthanasias unless we've never seen the pet or it's been awhile since we've seen it and we don't know what's going on with it. If that's the case, we charge a consulation fee and the total is $45.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest PiagetsMom

I've been charged both times by two different vets. When the time comes again, which my heart hopes is many years from now, I will take care of the fee beforehand if at all possible, instead of struggling through it afterwards.

My old vet's practice charged. She has recently moved to a new practice, so I don't know--probably since it's VCA. I heard them on the phone talking about charges once, but that was for someone who wasn't a client (dog hadn't seen a vet in years and she was upset that the vet needed to examine the dog first before euthanizing.)

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest VanillaBean

My vet charged full price and I had to pay on my way out, while I was sobbing. Not fun.

My little girl, Poppy, who just died on the 12th, died at home, unexpectedly, on a weekend. I took her into the vets on Monday and paid the private cremation fee of $133 for a 18 pound dog.

Guest greyt2love
My vet/employer charged for it. Then, you could decide whether you wanted to take the body, or have a private or communal cremation.

One thing he did NOT do, was make people pay on their way out. They were billed.

I wanted to add that this was true for me and I was thankful that I didn't have to think about that part of things.

This is what my vet does as well. They are very kind when dealing with this. I don't mind paying - there is an expense to the vet - but I greatly appreaciate the delay in sending the bill. They always send a card signed by all the staff, too.

Guest HersheysMom

With Star we were billed - the vet came to the house. The bill was not sent for several weeks however.

With Hershey we had now been clients for some time and I have a very close relationship with the clinic manager - she was the one who put him to sleep with another tech that she got to come to the house at the last minute (it wasn't planned beforehand) We were not billed, and we were not billed for several housecalls made prior to that night.

I didn't pay any attention with Joplin. My vet was amazing about it. She took really good care of him, even though none of us were expecting to let him go when we did. She let me take care of his body the same as I did many many other peoples' animals when I worked there. I know that's wierd, but it's the least I could do for my old man. It made all the difference in the world for me. God, I miss that dog.

Lynn

It makes sense that e-vets generally charge and regular vets sometimes don't. I would imagine it is a lot more expensive to run an emergency facility, and if they haven't made money off seeing the pet previously it make sense to charge.

Did your vet say no charge? Mine said nothing , but I still received a bill in the mail.

I believe we're in the clear because I stopped in the day before and I said I wanted to pay for everything up front. If we get a bill in the mail it's no big deal, but I don't think we will.

I didn't pay any attention with Joplin. My vet was amazing about it. She took really good care of him, even though none of us were expecting to let him go when we did. She let me take care of his body the same as I did many many other peoples' animals when I worked there. I know that's wierd, but it's the least I could do for my old man. It made all the difference in the world for me. God, I miss that dog.

Lynn

I know how much you must miss Joplin. After seeing your other post on Tarmac's remembrance thread, I did a search for Joplin on greytalk and on greyhound-data (I'm assuming he was the dog you were talking about). There is a definite resemblance between him and Tarmac. We often referred to Tarmac as our grumpy old man too :)