Excessive Drooling While Resting And Weeping Eyes

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Last night Cougar drooled a puddle that soaked through our comforter and blanket down to our sheets and was about the size of a steering wheel. There was no panting and he slept really well.

Again this morning, DH was home with him for a couple of hours until 9am and he drooled another spot. I just checked in about 2:30 and his crate bed and front feet are soaked. It isn't uncommon for his to bark and drool if I'm running late, but following up the earlier episodes, this seems weird to me.

His eyes are also weeping a little bit but it all appears to be pretty clear. He just has those tear stains under this eyes.

I called his encology vet because all the meds they have him on, but they only thought it may be nausea related and are calling in anti-nausea meds to my regular vet.

Any clue what we might be dealing with? Allergies? Drug Reactions? Response to his acupuncture yesterday? (their line was busy a minute again, but seems like he was a little more drooly a few days before that, but nothing like the last 12 hours ???

His current meds include prednisone, tramadol, gabapentin and amoxicillian.

Thanks for any advice!

Guest Energy11

Sounds like the excessive drooling could be from nausea. Is he licking his nose, too? That is usually a sign of nausea.

Curfew drooled ALL the time back before his "mystery diagnosis."(a year ago this month he had what was called a stroke) Then, he was fine until last Feb, when he started having something like mini-seizures or mini-strokes, which involved lots and lots of drooling, but we still have no idea what is wrong with him, with the exception of finding high blood pressure and low thyroid. Other then being hungry and thirsty most of the time, due to his Phenobarbitol, he is pretty normal, so who knows????? Wish the vet and I did.

For your Cougar, it just might be a combination of everything, upsetting his stomach. I'd monitor it for a day or two, and go from there. Good luck and lots of love!

I agree with Dee, sounds like nausea, and the drugs you mention sure can cause it. Poor guy, I'de get him started on whatever the vet called in.

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest TaraCoachCougar

Guess I should also add that he had chemo last Friday. I think that would be considered a major med!

He was on cerenia for the first 4 days following his treatment so yesterday was the first day that he did not have that medication for nausea.

On of the vets at our regular clinic who saw Cougar yesterday for bloodwork and corn removal (but not the one I consider his primary vet), just returned my message and said the bloodwork just came back and his white cell count and his red cell count had decreased, but not to an alarming level. I also asked about his creatine and he agreed it was high and even a little higher than normal for a greyhound but that may be a side affect of the meds. I hope with another acupuncture treatment or two we can say goodbye to the prednisone.

He did say nausea would bring on drooling, but thought he would be displaying other symptoms. I mean, Cougar slept hard last night and didn't stir at all. Would his body be reacting and nauseated while he was so deeply asleep?

Anyway, we'll just continue to keep an eye on it and I'll continue to pester the vets if it continues or increases.

Guest Energy11

REALLY hard to say if the drooling would continue during sleep, but even asleep, his body is saying he is nauseous, so my guess would be, yes, he could still be experiencing the nausea during sleep, thus the drooling.

I'd still bug the vet in the morning, as none of us here are vets, and there might be something we are all missing. Hug him for me!