Chemo Deferred Because Of Low White Cell Count

Guest angel

Dash's chemo was deferred from Wednesday to next Monday because of low white cell count. The vet said this is completely normal and not to worry - but I am worried.

Does this happen often?

Also a thorough orthopedic examination was done on his hind right leg and they said that it is completely normal. (He appears to rotate his leg outward and hop and skip when he runs).

I am exhausted from all the worry.

It is comforting to know, however, that there are many of us who are going through this tribulation together, and can give each other support.

Guest Energy11

I have no experience with chemo, but, normally a greyhound's white cell count is lower than regular dogs. I guess it depends on HOW low it is. Might want to drop an email to Dr. Couto and staff, and see what he/they think? couto.1@osu.edu (Dr Couto)

Greyhound@cvm.osu.edu (Drs. Marin and Vilar)

Guest mcsheltie

It happens frequently. Twice for me personally, or I should say for animals I cared for. Chemo can temporarily suppress the bone marrow and they space the treatments out to give it time to catch up.

Happens all the time.

I'm never sure when Cali will be getting her chemo, even on the day of.

I drop her off in the morning, they do a blood check and no news is good news!

Nothing to worry about, just wait a few days and it should be good.

Vicky and my best boys Vern (Rockin Big Mike) and Wil (Deco Abilene Wil).

Missing my best girl Cali (BOC's Kaylynn) at the Bridge.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I can't help but worry about my little guy. I hope his white count will be high enough on Monday so we can continue to blast those evil metastases.

Bluesky - you're from Ottawa! I live in Burlington and am fortunate to live close to OVC in Guelph.

Where does Cali get her chemo in your area?

We get Cali's chemo from a very nice vet clinic on the other side of the city from where we live! It's a 45 min drive, but totally worth it!

There is an oncologist in Ottawa but I was not thrilled with the attitude and luckily found Dr. Kartes after asking around. (Thanks Janet!)

On a side note, my parents live in Burlington and we may be coming to visit around Christmas time.

Vicky and my best boys Vern (Rockin Big Mike) and Wil (Deco Abilene Wil).

Missing my best girl Cali (BOC's Kaylynn) at the Bridge.

We live in Aldershot, west Burlington. In what part of Burlington do your parents live?

When did Cali have her amputation and which leg? What chemo is she on? How is she coping with everything? How are you coping?

The white count thing isn't a "greyhounds have low white count" issue, it's a chemo issue. Most types of chemo drop the dog's (or the person's) white count, so infection is a concern. For that reason, most chemo protocols include a threshhold white count. It's pretty normal to have to wait an extra 5-10 days. Hugs and best luck with your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest HersheysMom

Yes, it happened often with Hershey once he started chemo, his white cell count got knocked down after a few treatments, and we had to wait to continue. Batmom explained it well. Waiting as recommended is best - if you were to just give another chemo treatment with the count so low he could get really sick! Don't worry - it's not uncommon and has happened at least once to anyone I know that had a dog go through chemo.

Guest TaraCoachCougar

I'm right there with you on the worrying stuff!

Cougar had his 5th and final chemo treatment last Friday. The vet just called with his bloodwork from yesterday. He had low white cell counts (and red counts) for the first time so luckily all our treatments went as scheduled. I'm a little worried but since this was the last, I hope it means it can come back up and everything will be fine.

From everyone else's comments it sounds pretty normal. I guess sometimes the body just needs a few more days to get back up to normal.

Good luck! Sending up a prayer for y'all!

Adding that normally we had bloodwork done seven days later (chemo on Friday and bloodwork the following Friday). Coug's corn was so bad, DH went ahead and took him yesterady (Wednesday) so it was only 5 days post chemo. I wonder if two days could make a difference with the count?