Sadie Caught A Rabbit

Guest Ashley

We took Sadie to a completely fenced off baseball diamond tonight, and she caught a rabbit that happened to be hiding out in the dark. We got her to drop it (eventually) and she didn't eat any part of it, just put a huge gash in its side. I was just wondering if we need to take her to the vet for shots or anything.

She doesn't have any scratches or anything on her, and we brushed her teeth when we got home, but is there anything else we need to do? :unsure

Thanks for the help!

Guest PhillyPups

You go Sadie girl, you are quite the hunter. Sadie should be fine.

It is good to hear you are taking her to a completely fenced area to run. It is much safer for Sadie.

Guest Energy11

I am sure Sadie is already vaccinated for Rabies, so the only other thing I'd keep my eye out for is tapeworms... Rabbits carry them, and other types of parasites. Might want to drop a fecal off a the vets in a few days. Good Luck. Hope Sadie feels better.

Does anyone else feel bad for the rabbit? Hope the gash heals. But I agree, Sadie should be just fine.

Well, the gash won't heal because the rabbit died :( If it hadn't, I would have put it out of its misery, it would have been cruel to just leave it.

Guest Energy11

Unfortunately, Sadie was doing "what greyhounds do ..."

I feel badly for the rabbit, and I, too, if it hadn't died, would have put it out of it's misery. Staggerlee caught a CAT in our backyard on morning! HORRIBLE!! We had to pry it out of his mouth, while the others were "packing on the poor cat ..." Anyway, took it to my vet/employer, and she (cat) had a few wounds he treated and she was fine.

Edited by Energy11

I feel badly for the rabbit, and I, too, if it hadn't died, would have put it out of it's misery. Staggerlee caught a CAT in our backyard on morning! HORRIBLE!! We had to pry it out of his mouth, while the others were "packing on the poor cat ..." Anyway, took it to my vet/employer, and she (cat) had a few wounds he treated and she was fine.

Wow, it's really lucky that the cat was okay! Staggerlee must have really held back!

Guest Energy11

Wow, it's really lucky that the cat was okay! Staggerlee must have really held back!

Tell me about that poor cat! I THINK the cat was okay, because we got out there right when he got the cat! I tell ya, prying a cat from a large GH's jaw is NO fun! Cat was scared to DEATH, obviously, but, I was able to carry her by her scruff, and load her into a cat carrier I had at the house. I am happy for that cat! I canont trust "Lee" around any small dog, cat, squirrel, and he has been known to catch a rat or two, in his day! :((( (gag)!

Edited by Energy11

I agree with Energy11 on the parasites, rabbits carry lots of nasty internal ones, wish I could have seen her run it down, each time my boy does it, I am in wonderment!

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

My boy has EATEN at least 3 rabbits, a bird and I dont know what else in my yard. Acutally if you saw my post earlier this week, my boy tried to eat a SKUNK! Now that was a fun thing to take care of. He didnt kill it, and it was able to get away, but I am not sure how long it survived. I just keep extra doses of Panacur around the house for exactly this scenareo <sp?>. Do I feel bad for the rabbit, well not really. If I did, I suppose I would not be a carnivore any longer. Cows, pigs, chickens, deer...

Edited by Greyt_dog_lover

Just watch out that your hound did not pick up any fleas from the rabbit!

It luckily shouldn't be a problem in my city! Thankfully. Fleas is something that I NEVER want to deal with!

Guest Lovey_Hounds

It luckily shouldn't be a problem in my city! Thankfully. Fleas is something that I NEVER want to deal with!

Fleas do happen in calgary... trust me i know, 4 clients i have that went to southland dog park in the past 3 weeks has had to be treated. Ticks and dog lice happen here too..... :puke

if you have her offleash i would suggest using advantix or revolution as a preventative durring the summer/fall season.

Fleas do happen in calgary... trust me i know, 4 clients i have that went to southland dog park in the past 3 weeks has had to be treated. Ticks and dog lice happen here too..... :puke

if you have her offleash i would suggest using advantix or revolution as a preventative durring the summer/fall season.

:eek Eek! I don't take Sadie to dog parks, but this is just one more reason that I never will, either. :( I am so disillusioned now, lol.

ETA, thanks for the tip! Is it cheaper to buy online? Or should I just pick some up at Petsmart this week?

Guest Lovey_Hounds

:eek Eek! I don't take Sadie to dog parks, but this is just one more reason that I never will, either. :( I am so disillusioned now, lol.

ETA, thanks for the tip! Is it cheaper to buy online? Or should I just pick some up at Petsmart this week?

we dont sell the meds go to your vet for it (dr torrence at transcanda vet on 16th n.e is pretty cheap), we only do the flea/tick/lice baths and i only suggest those if you know the dog has them or if you know for sure they came in direct contact with it. i also dont know if our shampoo is safe for greyhounds.

I also hate doing the baths and charge a lot of cash to do them, i charged someone $60 for a shave and wash for their standard poodle pup cause i had to do a flea bath and remove burrs... when i am done treating the dog i then have to disinfect my tools/table/floor by the table/bathing area/kennel and anything the dog touched.

I dont do dog parks my older 2 are not always small dog safe and the pup likes to carry the little dogs in her mouth and i know how dirty they are a lot of people dont vaccinate their dogs.

we dont sell the meds go to your vet for it (dr torrence at transcanda vet on 16th n.e is pretty cheap), we only do the flea/tick/lice baths and i only suggest those if you know the dog has them or if you know for sure they came in direct contact with it. i also dont know if our shampoo is safe for greyhounds.

I also hate doing the baths and charge a lot of cash to do them, i charged someone $60 for a shave and wash for their standard poodle pup cause i had to do a flea bath and remove burrs... when i am done treating the dog i then have to disinfect my tools/table/floor by the table/bathing area/kennel and anything the dog touched.

I dont do dog parks my older 2 are not always small dog safe and the pup likes to carry the little dogs in her mouth and i know how dirty they are a lot of people dont vaccinate their dogs.

Oh, they aren't sold there? I always thought that I saw them when I used to work there. Shows you how much I pay attention to things :lol

When I took Sadie for a groom when we first got her, we brought our own shampoo for them to use because I didn't want them using some unknown junk on her. Sadie hasn't been itching or anything, and I brush and rub her daily and haven't seen anything on her today. I am not super worried because she only had it in her mouth for about 90 seconds before we got her to drop it.

There are some good places around here to let her run, we don't need to chance it at the dog park luckily. I would still love to make a play date with you and the hounds, though!

Guest LoveSeniorGreys

We've had our greyhounds catch and "play" with real rabbits in the fenced in back yard. Each time they got FLEAS! :eek

Thank goodness for Frontline Plus, it works wonders.

We've had our greyhounds catch and "play" with real rabbits in the fenced in back yard. Each time they got FLEAS! :eek

Thank goodness for Frontline Plus, it works wonders.

:eek UGH! That really sucks! Stupid rabbits :angry:

We had a Springer Spaniel growing up and she found baby rabbits in our yard. Didn't harm them, just carried them in her mouth, but whenever I mention our greys possibly catching something in the yard if they don't have their muzzles on, my mom always mentions how sick the dog got from that - the vet said parasites I believe (was a long time ago when I was a kid).