Constipation

Guest wjamg

Ever since my girl had surgery for a tumor and her anal gland removed, she has very hard stool and has a hard time going..the vet says we can use stool softener for her but I hate to have her depend on meds...she eats kibble with yogurt, eggs, chicken, rice, beef, past and peanutbutter as add ins...any suggestions to help with this problem?

She doesn't seem to have any problems with any foods she eats as far as the big D or anything..before surgery, she never had an issue at all

You can try oatmeal or add some oil to her food, fish oil, flaxseed oil, salmon oil, any of those will help keep things soft and moving. Start low and add more until you see improvement. I made the mistake of starting high and gave all mine the runs. :lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

They say, Fish Oil helps, but my personal favorite is, unsweetened applesauce! They love it, and it really seems to help! You can also ask you vet about a stool softner that would be safe for her. Good Luck, Poor Baby!

Guest Energy11

Yes, do, limit or omit the rice all together. Rice is binding and it is given when they have The Big D :-( Good Luck with the applesauce! Do let me know how it works :-))

How about a bit of organ meat? Chicken liver is easy to get, and is naturally in bite sized portions.

I feed raw and the general rule is that bone constipates, and organ meat loosens.

That doesn't mean you have to feed raw liver. Cook a few and keep them in the fridge.