Dukes Back Legs

Guest Gideon

Duke is 11 and in very good health otherwise - really,his energy level has decreased a lot but he is amazingly spry for his age.

About two years ago, we noticed some shaking when he would lift his leg to pee. Then his leg give out out times about a year ago. Now, he knuckles under sometimes and falls. It is really hard to see this happen.

We've taken him several time to the folks at NGAP and had x-rays done. Nothing cancer shows up but there is evidence of and old injury. The vet also showed us that one legs bones are thinner than the other legs and he described it as direction running with me stress applied to one leg over the other.

We have pain killers for him which we use when we go hiking or on longer walks. He seems to have this issue more on pavement than on grass, dirt or trails - tho sometimes he falls when he is climbing something - like going over a fallen tree. I usually pick him up and bring him over those.

So, does anybody have any ideas on this? What it means if anything beyond what our vet has told us? I know he has to go back for a routine check up but I just want some second thoughts and ideas on how to help him.

If not for this one issue, he is more playful than he was 5 years ago and he is pretty much his normal self.

Guest Energy11

Sounds like Arthritis to me. Dasher had it bad, and he took Deramaxx, and lots and lots of joint supplements. If the x-rays are clear, more than likely that is what it is.

Poor Baby ... Hug him for me!

yep, with clear x rays, I'd say arthritis too. If he's not on a joint supplement, start him right away. It can take up to a month to show results, but speaking from personal experience (me and my dogs), it helps. You might have to start limiting the long hikes, too.

Assuming there is nothing more sinister lurking ...

IMHO, I would suspect a protruding disk/nerve compression and/or lumbosacral stenosis ... as well as possible arthritis. There are many GT threads on weak hind-end issues.

I'm currently traveling down the same path with my hounds, 10-1/2 and almost 12. Indy, almost 12, has mild-to-moderate LS (confirmed by MRI; but very expensive). X-rays have been unremarkable as they don't reveal nerve damage.

Anti-inflammatories are helpful to a point. If a disk is encroaching on a nerve, no medication will move the disk. Eventually, just like humans - you experience numbness, tingling, loss of sensation, death of nerve, etc., which eventually results in weakness, incontinence, falling down. Oh, also the "walking while pooping" bowel movement because they can't quite squat anymore. :cry1

I really believe chiropractic is a huge piece of the puzzle. Indy had several disks "out." What a difference a few adjustments have made. The adjustments have allowed Indy to remain mobile - not perfect, not younger - but ambulatory. My pup also goes for acupuncture treatments (I alternate between the two).

Conventional medicine can offer meds and surgery; alternative medicine can offer acupuncture, chiropractic, herbs, etc. Both are good, just different approaches.

Just a few thoughts, suggestions. Hugs to Duke. :dogcookie

Brandi has weak back/hind legs and can't stand for long without starting to slouch in the back legs. Can't walk up many steps and definitely could not walk over a tree. I think the chiro/acupuncture on a monthly basis has really helped. Also the holistic vet started her on a Chinese herb, Body Sore. It is a powder and I think we have seen some difference. She was paralyzed in the Summer of 2004 and even though she can walk now she is still weak in the back. Also great article in the current issue of Animal Wellness about a supplement called Humanofort by DogtorRX. I took the article to the holistic vet as he was just going to go to a vet conference. He discussed this product with other vets and they have seen a difference it has made in some dogs so he is going to order it for Brandi. Might want to discuss with the holistic vet. In the magazine someone wrote in a question for Dr. Martin Goldstein that she had a greyhound with Bald Thigh Syndrome. According to Dr. Goldstein the Humanofort supplement has also helped BTS.

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

If it is arthritis or LS, this article from Whole Dog Journal has information on handling the inflammation. I'm surprised your vet didn't send you to a neurologist to have it checked out. My Flint has a bulging disk, putting pressure on his spinal cord and his symptoms have greatly improved on Deramaxx, the anti-inflammatory prescribed by the neurologist. But it's expensive and my vet agreed it's best to go with the anti-inflammatory diet (grain and potato free) with fish oil, vit E, and joint support supplements (glucosamine/chondroitin/MSM) for as long as it works, and we can go back to the meds when it no longer helps. Good luck with this.

http://www.dogaware.com/wdjarthritis.html