Jump to content


Recommended Posts

Iron Man just had a leg amputated. Dr Couto likes to keep the greyhounds there for 5 days. So he was DX on Tuesday, surgery on Wednesday. He was released on Monday (5 days after surgery) and we left immediately for a 10 hour trip back to Memphis from Columbus.


Have someone at the clinic help you put them in the car. Make sure they empty out first. I took rest stops for me but I only let Iron Man out once, it was 6 hours into the trip. I lifted him out and asked someone at the Pilot I stopped at to help lift him back into the car. I did have water for him. I have a SUV. He is still on his pain meds and slept most of the way home. He is really enjoying his pain meds. We just lifted him under his chest from both sides.


The amputation was last week and we will be going back to start his chemo next week. It's a 10 - 12 hour drive depending on traffic and weather.


PM me if you would like to chat. When are you going to be at OSU? I stayed at the Varsity Inn for the week, ask for hospital rate. $54 plus tax. They have free interenet where as Red Roof Inn doesn't. I like Varsity Inn's beds better than RR. Also the location.


Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the Day comes,

God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man.

(Persian Proverb)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I brought Ivy home on the 4th day. I don't think a 10 hour car trip would have bothered her. One of my favorite memories is that first night home. We always used to sleep together. That first night back from the hospital we went into the bedroom and I froze staring at the bed-oh no what do I do...my mind was racing. Dear Ivy knew it. She looked up at me then fast as lighting just like always effortlessly jumped into bed! I can't tell you how good that made me feel. I knew she would be OK then and in fact she was! It wasn't long before we were running together just like in the old days. In fact one day she was really wanting to go kind of fast and I couldn't keep up and she looked back at me and said "I've only got 3 legs and you still can't keep up!" :beatheart

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Polli came home 2 days post op. NO drains, NO patches.


She DID have on a binding sweater which made it so she did not bruise AT ALL. She was on 100mg of tramadol every 4-6 hours and 100mg of deramax. We tapered off the tramadol.

For the 1st 48 hours she was home we gave her 10 mg of valium because she was so stressed.


She would not have been ready for a trip like that for about 3 weeks.


3 weeks was the turning point for Polli.



ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...