Heartworm Med Choice

dixidoll

For year and years I have used Heart Guard for heartworm treatment monthly. Last year the vet convinced me to try Interceptor. He said it is a broad spectrum treatment and better. But, is it better for the hounds, greyhounds and whippets. I have trusted my vet for his honesty and sincerity for years. But lately I think they have gone to selling a service and product.

Do you all think Interceptor is OK and, is it a better choice for my whippets. I used the other for all my greyhounds for years. I am nervous about any change.

Interceptor is an excellent product. It does cover a wider range of worm treatment. I switched to Interceptor because it covers hookworms, and they are prevalent in this area. My vet did extensive field trials of Interceptor and recommended it for use in his racing kennel.

Edited by Chicocat

Ann

NewSiggy09b.jpg

Absoulutely OK- I have used interceptor since 1995 (non grey) and for my greys . Just recently, I switched only Beau- but ONLY because it is beef favored and he has IBD so his his new heartworm has to be unflavored.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Interceptor is a wonderful product.

I use Iverheart MAX, as it cover Heartworm, and literally ALL the other worms, including tapes. I like it a lot.

I don't know about using Iverheart MAX... it doesn't cover whip worms (which can be very bad for dogs) and dogs do not need to be dewormed for tapeworms on a monthly basis (unless they are covered in fleas and then you have a completely different problem).

Edited by retiredracers

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

Guest KennelMom

Interceptor is fine. Unless you have a specific problem with a specific type of worm (ie, infested yard or walking area) and would need/want a HW pill that targets that specific parasite, pretty much any of the preventions a vet sells will work to prevent heartworms. Heartworm preventative is pretty good at keeping other wormies at bay, but it's not 100%, due to different life cycles of different worms...dogs can come up positive for an intestinal worm, depsite being on a product that supposed to prevent them. I would look at heartworm prevention as just that - heartworm prevention. Anything else is a bonus.

Guest greyladydown

Interceptor is a good product, but we've found that in our area, Hearguard Plus does a better job controlling hookworms. We don't have too many cases of whip worms here, so that's less of an issue. We also keep our dogs on Heartguard Plus 12 months a year, even thought we have cold winters. Even though are yard is always cleaned immediately, our dogs are out in public quite a bit an few people in our area will pick up after their dogs. Hearguard Plus does the best job for our situation.

Guest Energy11
Interceptor is a wonderful product.

I use Iverheart MAX, as it cover Heartworm, and literally ALL the other worms, including tapes. I like it a lot.

I don't know about using Iverheart MAX... it doesn't cover whip worms (which can be very bad for dogs) and dogs do not need to be dewormed for tapeworms on a monthly basis (unless they are covered in fleas and then you have a completely different problem).

My MAIN reason for using the "Max" is that I live in a very rural area, where they can eat "stuff ":-( , if you know what I mean." that carry tapeworm. I'd rather be safe than sorry. My vet here, and my vet/former employer in Florida recommend it. I trust both, and they are making nothing off me, because I have a script, and buy online.

No matter which product, the main thing is to use to prevent heartworm, and we are lucky so many products are out there for it. :-)

I've used Interceptor with no problems for 8 years. I use it year-round, since Georgia winters aren't cold enough to reliably knock out mosquitos.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Energy11
I've used Interceptor with no problems for 8 years. I use it year-round, since Georgia winters aren't cold enough to reliably knock out mosquitos.

Yes, even though I am a bit north of you, I use HW protection year round too.

I started using interceptor for my collie when I got him back in 2001 since they are sensitive to certain chemicals, and when I asked my vet, he also recommended it. I continue to use it for my grey as well, and never had a problem. He's doing great on it. We use it year round as well.

Guest hlpnhounds

In our household, we use Interceptor in the warmer months and Sentinel in the cooler months. Sentinel is the same as Interceptor with the added bonus of also killing fleas. We do not rely on it as a primary flea preventive and only use it in the cooler months (Oct - March) Otherwise, Interceptor is my heartworm preventive of choice with Frontline + as our flea/tick preventive. We do not have a flea problem here so I only use Frontline before taking my hounds on a trip or up to the kennel in WI for a fun run day. I just mark it on the calendar after I've given it (the Frontline) so that I don't give it too often as it does protect against fleas for quite a bit longer than the label states. However, ticks are only controlled for one month.

:2c Also a helpful hint for those of you that use a topical flea product such as Frontline......

I like to put bandanas on the dogs on "Frontline Day" here so that hubby doesn't accidentally give big hugs and neck scritches and end up with a hand coated with flea product. :censored He knows that the only time they are wearing bandanas is after they have had Frontline applied.