My B-boy, Ben Is Going To The Vet !

Guest Downtownhoundz

Guest Downtownhoundz
What were the 2 prior suegeries for initially??

:hope Sweet Ben is feeilng better :hope

Do you give them fish oil caps?? I know Iams kibble gives firmer poops than other kibble. I don't know about the canned, but if it does would that offset the effect of the softener?

According to the vet records that my vet did get from the other vet it was only noted that he had had corrective surgery twice for a bowel issue, nothing else on there except shots. No details of the surgery or anything.

I did start giving them fish oil caps a few days ago to help Ben's coat...he's dirty and I don't think he had a bath. He's gonna go get one as soon as he gets his other booster shot in two weeks. Vet said his teeth look good but were quite worn down in the front including his incisors..probably from chewing on his cage ?

They get pedigree kibble and Iams canned mixed in right now.

He is such a good ,good boy and even let two little kids come over and pet him...wasn't skittish or anything. :blush

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys
According to the vet records that my vet did get from the other vet it was only noted that he had had corrective surgery twice for a bowel issue, nothing else on there except shots. No details of the surgery or anything.

I did start giving them fish oil caps a few days ago to help Ben's coat...he's dirty and I don't think he had a bath. He's gonna go get one as soon as he gets his other booster shot in two weeks. Vet said his teeth look good but were quite worn down in the front including his incisors..probably from chewing on his cage ?

He is such a good ,good boy and even let two little kids come over and pet him...wasn't skittish or anything. :blush

I believe the reason there was no info about the surgeries on the records you got is because it was not the same vet that preformed the surgeries. I believe Mel is using a different vet then the prior director was using.

Sometimes you just have to be persistent on getting previous vet records from other vets. I've had my share of troubles getting records but in the end they always manage to get them to me.

Also what booster is he getting in 2 weeks?

Have you chatted with Mel to find out what sort of stool softener they were using? Also if it was working while he was there.

Oh, poor baby! I hope you can get the records and get this problem straightened out for his comfort and your

peace of mind.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Guest Downtownhoundz

I believe the reason there was no info about the surgeries on the records you got is because it was not the same vet that preformed the surgeries. I believe Mel is using a different vet then the prior director was using.

Sometimes you just have to be persistent on getting previous vet records from other vets. I've had my share of troubles getting records but in the end they always manage to get them to me.

Also what booster is he getting in 2 weeks?

Have you chatted with Mel to find out what sort of stool softener they were using? Also if it was working while he was there.

Yep, She sent me the Dr. name and phone number and I gave it to my vet. She had said that she had been having trouble getting Ben's records( told me why) He's getting his distemper booster. They used a 100mg.of some name that eludes me right now...we never discussed whether it was working or not, I assume it was. All I know is that poor b-boy had a TON of sh#*@ in him. He pooped pretty good this good this am without any screaming. I have a feeling he will have to go in and get really cleaned out ocassionally..he handled it like a trooper...poor mom though had to wait in another room...they kept checking on me and offered me a glass of water a fan, etc...I'm so squeamish.. :puke

My opinion, and it's just my opinion so it doesn't count for a whole lot would be to change him to a food with less fillers in it (the fewer fillers, the less poop you will have) and put him on some kind of oil supplement i.e. fish oil, flax seed oil, salmon oil. This will do the same thing naturally that the prescription medication will do. I'm sure Ben would be a lot more comfortable and you shouldn't have any more problems with him crying when he goes.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Downtownhoundz
My opinion, and it's just my opinion so it doesn't count for a whole lot would be to change him to a food with less fillers in it (the fewer fillers, the less poop you will have) and put him on some kind of oil supplement i.e. fish oil, flax seed oil, salmon oil. This will do the same thing naturally that the prescription medication will do. I'm sure Ben would be a lot more comfortable and you shouldn't have any more problems with him crying when he goes.

Which food though? :unsure They have started getting fish oil caps, and I'm hoping that will also help.

The classic low-residue foods are prescription foods and therefore $$$$. But, you might -- cautiously -- try something like Innova Adult or Evo.

I say cautiously only because my dogs have tended to poop just as much or more on the foods with supposedly fewer fillers than on the foods like IAMs. That said, IAMs is a stool-firming food for many dogs (I think that's what you said you were feeding), and it sounds like your sweet boy might do better with a softer stool.

Hugs and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.