My B-boy, Ben Is Going To The Vet !

Guest Downtownhoundz

Guest Downtownhoundz

I'm nervous about taking him out without his brother,but I just can't take both boyz in right now...Bernie gets a little skittish yet. Ben has been having such a hard time doing poop in spite of the increased dosage of poop softener. He does his GSOD almost every time he goes and even then it's a very small amount that he puts out. He's eating well and I'm careful about what I give him to eat...I've added Iams canned food mixed with kibble to their diet . Both boyz love their pedigree marro-bones. Wish us luck that it's something simple....I'm still paying off vet bills from Kylie.

Guest Downtownhoundz

We're back now and he was such a good boy! The Dr. had to extract a large amount of poop from him. She said that his bowel is such that instead of the regular tubular shape of normal bowel, he has a ballon shape at the end of the rectum which collects waste making it hard for him to pass a normal amount of poop. Apparently he has had two surgeries before to correct that problem. My vet is trying to get his records from the other vet who did the surgery,but for some odd reason they keep coming up with excuses as to why they can't release them. My vet is gonna try one more time and then I"M GONNA GET INVOLVED !!!!! :angryfire

I have no idea why a surgical procedure like that would produce a ballon at the end of the rectum!!

We're back now and he was such a good boy! The Dr. had to extract a large amount of poop from him. She said that his bowel is such that instead of the regular tubular shape of normal bowel, he has a ballon shape at the end of the rectum which collects waste making it hard for him to pass a normal amount of poop. Apparently he has had two surgeries before to correct that problem. My vet is trying to get his records from the other vet who did the surgery,but for some odd reason they keep coming up with excuses as to why they can't release them. My vet is gonna try one more time and then I"M GONNA GET INVOLVED !!!!! :angryfire

I have no idea why a surgical procedure like that would produce a ballon at the end of the rectum!!

Oh gosh :cry1 I hope the vet who performed the surgery isn't stalling with the records because they messed up :unsure:(

Sending good thoughts for Ben. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck If he doesn't have any more surgery or if it fails again, does he have to go to the vet to have his bowels emptied periodically?

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest Downtownhoundz
Poor guy. Did you ask her about oatmeal?

She said to just keep him on what he's eating right now with no deviation until she consults with another vet about his problem.

Guest Downtownhoundz

Oh gosh :cry1 I hope the vet who performed the surgery isn't stalling with the records because they messed up :unsure:(

Sending good thoughts for Ben. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck If he doesn't have any more surgery or if it fails again, does he have to go to the vet to have his bowels emptied periodically?

Melanie from B'Ham said she had tried to get his records but they wouldn't release them to her...my vet was able to get just shot records, no surgery records....It did make me wonder about the surgery especially since he's had it twice! That part was noted on his records.I switched him to dulcolax per vet's recommendation,so we'll see. I hope he doesn't have to go and have them emptied...he had a lot in there plus more in the back seat of my car!!! :puke

Guest LindsaySF

Poor Ben. Maybe a high-fiber diet would help to keep things moving? Or adding some Benefiber? Hope you get it figured out soon and they release his records to you. (Odd that they would be hesitant to do that, you are the new owner after all).

Guest PhillyPups

What were the 2 prior suegeries for initially??

:hope Sweet Ben is feeilng better :hope

Do you give them fish oil caps?? I know Iams kibble gives firmer poops than other kibble. I don't know about the canned, but if it does would that offset the effect of the softener?

Just seeing this. I'd be curious as to why they wouldn't release the surgery records. I'd get involved too, if I had to. Hoping that Ben is feeling better, poor boy and that you aren't terribly stressed. Hugs and scritches to all!

Guest Energy11

My daughter had a cat with those symptoms. It was diagnosed as Megacolon. The cat had to take stool softners everyday, and another med to help it poop (name escapes me now). All in all the cat pooped on a regular basis after that :-)

Good Luck! I wonder, somehow, if the surgery on Ben was "botched," somehow, and THAT is why you cannot get the records?????????? You might have to use the dirty word, Lawyer, ... like, "well, let me mention this to my lawyer and see what she says. I do that when necessary, as my daughter is an atty :-))

Hope all turns out well.

Guest Downtownhoundz
Was Ben a return? I thought he'd never been adopted out before.

No, he was in the B'Ham adoption kennel for almost two years waiting for a home... :) Melanie told me before I adopted him about his surgery but really didn't know much else as there was a different director at the time.

I would contact the state board and get some assistance

If it comes to that I absolutely will...my vet said that first they told her the fax was down and then something about the papaers were stuck together. She said she is going to ask them to mail them to her instead. I don't want to think anything bad right now, but this is pretty hinky to me....