My Turn Now

Mary Pat, I'm so sorry. You are faced with such heartwrenching decisions, and you and Diamond will be in my prayers during this difficult time.

gallery_11446_3599_3864.jpg
Nancy, Mom to Evangelina and Kiva
Missing Lacey, Patsy, Buster, my heart dog Nick, Winnie, Pollyanna, Tess, my precious Lydia, Calvin Lee, my angel butterfly Laila, and kitties Lily, Sam and Simon
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/Catsburgandhoundtown

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First, I'm so sorry. I have lost 2 to hermangio sarcoma. I've just recently (7 months) lost one to osteo. I choose not to amputate. At age 12, I would not amputate. Make her comfortable with the pain meds that your vet can provide, watch her closely to make sure she does not break that leg because of the weakness in the bone. Spend as much time with her as you can. Best wishes.

She's going to see an oncologist at Red Bank (the Hillsboro branch). They are going to take another xray (digital this time) and if he confirms OS, then I'm conferring with Dr. Couto to go to OSU this weekend.

I will discuss her health with him and go for an amputation if he agrees she's a good canditate (even at her age).

If not, he stated there are other options.

My worse fear however is that she'll break her leg when I'm at work. I'd much rather put her thru amputation. She'd get a strong pain patch. Heal under my daily care (while I take time off) then have a fairly normal life on 3 legs.

So I am leaning towards amputation.

PS.....Onyx spent her 14th BD at the vets. He took blood to make sure her kidneys and liver were okay since they could both cause vomiting if in failure. He gave her antibiotics just in case she aspirated anything to prevent aspirate pneumonia (she's an LP tieback dog). And she came home to pot pie and rotisserie chicken from Boston Market. She snarfed down her dinner last night, asked for lots of cookies and was still begging when I tried to go to bed at 11:30. So, I would say, she's feeling better.

The vet called this morning and her bloodwork is fine. She's a healthy old lady. (thank God).

MP, with Jamey having undergone a broken leg (it broke while he was being turned over on the X-ray table at the vet's) and the reaction he had (knee-jerk, he bit the face of the tech holding him- they don't blame Jamey at all!), I would agree with your decision of amputation, if she can handle it at her age. Good luck with the oncologist appointment.

P.S. Jamey is now one of the favorites at the CARE Centre, where he was getting his chemo.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

I just heard from Dr. Couto. He's not available next week. While I am sure everyone there is superb, I just feel like, if I'm going to drive 12 hrs to OSU, I want him to at least look at her. This is such an incredibly hard choice for me.

He returns the 6th. So, I could drive out Monday the 5th and stay til the following Monday and hope she's ready to be discharged.

Guest Energy11
I just heard from Dr. Couto. He's not available next week. While I am sure everyone there is superb, I just feel like, if I'm going to drive 12 hrs to OSU, I want him to at least look at her. This is such an incredibly hard choice for me.

He returns the 6th. So, I could drive out Monday the 5th and stay til the following Monday and hope she's ready to be discharged.

I understand your wanting to see Dr. Couto, especially, driving 12 hours. Good Luck and lots of love and prayers!

I'm seeing an oncologist locally tomorrow and getting digital xrays since my vets still have the old fashion stuff.

How are digitals sent? Email?

What email at OSU do I send them to? I have Dr. Couto's email. We've been conversing. Can I send it directly to him or is there a general mail box that they prefer?

Is it simply an attachment?

God this sucks.................

Guest MorganKonaAlex
I'm seeing an oncologist locally tomorrow and getting digital xrays since my vets still have the old fashion stuff.

How are digitals sent? Email?

What email at OSU do I send them to? I have Dr. Couto's email. We've been conversing. Can I send it directly to him or is there a general mail box that they prefer?

Is it simply an attachment?

God this sucks.................

I sent xrays as an attachment. They are just photo files (jpeg). I would send to the generic greyhound mailbox: greyhound@cvm.osu.edu and cc Dr. Couto. You're right, it does suck.

so sorry you're going through this! :cry1 :cry1

sending prayers! :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I'm so sorry to hear your news, especially having just gone through this myself. I hope you can get a definitive diagnosis at the appointment.

With Tarmac we decided not to amputate/pursue chemo because we did not think he would be a good candidate for it - mostly because he is terrified of going to the vet. His vet agreed that this was the best course for him. With another dog I might have made a different decision. I think stability on three legs is a valid concern, but what they're capable of adjusting to can be kind of surprising. Tarmac was a really klutzy dog, but just before he left us he figured out how to hop up the three stairs into our house without using his bad back leg. We had been carrying him for close to a week - he hates being picked up and just decided he would figure out how to get up himself, thank you very much.

This is all very fresh in my mind so if you have questions or need someone to talk to, feel free to pm me. You and Diamond and the rest of your pack are in my thoughts :grouphug

I understand that you would like to see Dr Couto but, I wouldn't hesitate to see the other Drs there---I have been working with Dr Urie and she has been incredible! I live in NJ and it takes me 8-9 hours to drive to OSU. FYI--the Rt 80 way is better than the PA turnpike IMO. Please fell free to pm me if I can help.

Here's an update.

We saw the oncologist today at the Hillsboro branch of the Red Bank hospital (largest private hospital in the country)

They took xrays, which I've been trying to email to OSU but seem to be having trouble with size.

And, they xrayed everything. She's clear (other than her osteo).

And even that was a little better news. The bone is still in good shape, not ready to break.

I asked the doctor how he felt about amputation for her since she's 12. He said he doesn't look at age. You have old 12 yr olds and young 12 yr olds. And a great example was the 12 yr old black female greyhound right in front of me. She was limping too.

She was just diagnosed with osteo there. (I found out Monday). But.......they did a chest xray. It had already metastisized. It's too late for her. She was a bitty thing too, just 50 lbs soaking wet. And in comes my porker (yeah, she's gained a bit over the past several weeks from decreased exercise).

But the oncologist said that everything is pointing to a good outcome for Diamond if I go that route.

I'm still unsure whether to go to OSU or Red Bank. I think I'd still feel more comfortable taking the 10 hr trip simply because OSU has seen so many greyhounds.

It also might be cheaper. Surgery at RB is between $2000- $2500. So actually driving 10 hrs is cheaper.

So as of right now, I am still going forward with the amputation.