My Turn Now

Well I've dodged the OS bullet for 14 yrs and 5 dogs.

I've lost one to liver disease (age 5)

Lost one to hemangiosarcome (age 8)

Have one with severe heart disease and hypertension (age 11)

Sooner or later, someone was going to get osteo.

Diamond was diagnosed last night. The vet said the shadowing he saw could be lots of things but let's be realistic here. Diamond's a greyhound. OS takes most of them.

I'm hoping she makes it to her 12th BD next month.

But I really don't know what to do. If it were Onyx or Pearl I know the decision to amputate would be no. Onyx is 14 (today) and too old for surgery.

Pearl has the bad heart and hypertension. She probably wouldn't survive the surgery.

I know if Opal was the one, I would definitely have decided yes to amputation because she could handle it and she's definitely strong enough to become a tri-pod.

Dima's the only one that I was unsure what do to. I often joked that VPI should not have turned Dima down to insure because she was the only dog they would have made money on. Never needed to go to the vets.

However....her legs really aren't the strongest. I'm not 100% sure she could handle being a tripod.

Of course that's not all of it. Yesterday morning Onyx threw up. She did again this morning. Thing is........she has LP and a laryngeal tieback. She CAN'T throw up. It's very dangerous for aspirate pneumonia. So back to the vets tonight.

Please stop the world, I want to get off.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I so know that..."I don't know what to do questions." You're a good mom and you'll know in your heart what to do, sometimes that's all we can do and then pray it's the right decision.

Hugs, lots of us have been right where you are and somehow we muddle through. If our dogs only knew how much muddling we do. :)

Edited by AngelWhispers

Denise & Strider, Blake, Fields, Frank, FlippyDoo, and Momma Gail.

The Bridge Angels Zack(Ags Marble Chip) 4/25/93-2/16/06, Wanda(Rainier Rowanda) 12/14/94-06/09/06, Brooke/Boogers(Rainier Restive) 01/01/99-10/20/08, Warlock(Rainier Rammer) 4/29/99-10/01/09), Patsie(Frisky Patsy) 5/17/96-2/05/10, Hatter(Cals Madhatter) 6/3/00-3/11/10, Dodger(Rainier Ransack) 4/29/99-4/16/10, and Sparkle(Okie Sparkle) 11/8/2000-1/28/11

mary pat i am so sorry that all of this is happening to you right now. thinking good thoughts for you and your babies.

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

MP, I'm sorry about Diamond. You will make the right decision for her.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I've made an appointment at the big Red Bank Hospital here (the Hillsboro branch) to get better digital xrays and see an oncologist.

I've also emailed Dr. Couto asking about procedures if I were to come out for an opinion, would they do the amputation immediately if it seems like a good choice. I have to wait til Friday to get digital xrays sent to him though.

I'm almost sure Dima will make her 12th BD next month, but I doubt there are anymore Deweys for her. I have to cancel this year because no way can she and my 14 yr old do stairs. And I couldn't afford the ebay price over $200 just for the reservation.

I am so sorry. Gentle thoughts coming your way.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow