Jake Is A Problem Child

Guest greys4me

Guest greys4me

Jake(a nongrey)had his comprehensive exam at the vet today. I dropped him off at 9:30 this morning and was told to pick him up at 3:00 . When I got to the vet he was ready and they went to get him so I could pick him up and go home. Another dog in the vet chose this time to decide to not breathe. He literally made the decision(the vet said he is a breath holder)and everybody was scrambled to help get an oxygen tube down his throat so he would still be getting plenty of oxygen. Jake was put back into a kennel since the person who had him was needed and it was closer to the kennels than he was to me. Problem is that when doors were being opened and closed Jake saw me and totally freaked when they put him back into the kennel. He proceeded to try and chew himself out of the kennel and broke a front top canine completely in half horizontally. It now has to be removed. It obviously hurts. My vet wants to get it out sooner than later but that office is closed on Tuesdays and there is no way I can afford dental work. The vet is not charging me for the pain meds or the dental procedure to remove the tooth and while they have him sedated they are going to make sure nothing else needs to be taken care of at no charge to me. Since they are closed tomorrow they called their other office which is open on Tuesdays to see if they could get him in and got me an appointment there. I'm not worried about vets that he doesn't know because one of the vets at that office used to be at my main office when I first started to take my dogs there and he trusts her. So now I have to take Jake back to Asheville tomorrow and have him at the vet by 8:15 and I don't intend to be able to get him until at least 3:30 because he comes out of anesthesia very slowly. Currently he has had his pain pill and is sleeping on the couch and telling everybody to leave him alone.

Guest Energy11

Poor Guy!

I would have suggested you take Jake back to your car, and we'd come and get you two when we were ready. No need to put him in the kennel ...

Hope all goes well tomorrow for the little guy! I would NEVER board him. He is a pet sitter kind of boy :-)) Hug him for me~

Guest Energy11

Poor Guy!

I would have suggested you take Jake back to your car, and we'd come and get you two when we were ready. No need to put him in the kennel ...

Hope all goes well tomorrow for the little guy! I would NEVER board him. He is a pet sitter kind of boy :-)) Hug him for me~

Guest Energy11

Poor Guy!

Guest greys4me
Poor Guy!

He actually boards very well. I think he saw me and then panicked thinking that I wasn't taking home when they put him back in the kennel. He was boarded for about a week and half when I got married and went on my honeymoon and did beautifully.

if your dog was rushed in and not breathing, wouldn't you want the same emergency care? one of my dogs went into shock after a rabies vaccine. my vet had the other dog moved out PRONTO and worked on my pup for a good 10-15 minutes. when there is a dire situation, there is no waiting and they have to go into action.

it's unfortunate that jake broke a tooth. your vet knows he is responsible. talk to the staff about your fear and worries as well as request that the pup must not be crated- especially there after this horrid experince. ask to see if he can stay with office staff or maybe you can get out for lunch or have a friend pick him up. it doesn't take that long for them to come out of anesthesia, i had a dog dropped off at 7:30 am for neutering and picked him up around 9 am.

also, have you had positive experiences w/ your vet in the past? sounds like he works well w/ emergencies which is really important.

can you take 1/2 a personal day? be gentle, it might be difficult getting your pup back in the office. good luck....

Guest greybookends
if your dog was rushed in and not breathing, wouldn't you want the same emergency care? one of my dogs went into shock after a rabies vaccine. my vet had the other dog moved out PRONTO and worked on my pup for a good 10-15 minutes. when there is a dire situation, there is no waiting and they have to go into action.

She is not upset with the vets office. Things happen suddenly and people just react. It is unfortunate that Jake broke a tooth, but the vet is taking care of it. Cassie was just telling what happened.

Guest greys4me

it's unfortunate that jake broke a tooth. your vet knows he is responsible. talk to the staff about your fear and worries as well as request that the pup must not be crated- especially there after this horrid experince. ask to see if he can stay with office staff or maybe you can get out for lunch or have a friend pick him up. it doesn't take that long for them to come out of anesthesia, i had a dog dropped off at 7:30 am for neutering and picked him up around 9 am.

also, have you had positive experiences w/ your vet in the past? sounds like he works well w/ emergencies which is really important.

can you take 1/2 a personal day? be gentle, it might be difficult getting your pup back in the office. good luck....

I wasn't upset about what happened, I was a little worried that I would not be able to get the treatment that he needed but they took care of that. I am very happy with my vet, which is why I drive an hour one way to take my dogs to the vet.

Guest greys4me

Jake is home after having his front canine removed. He actually came out of anesthesia quicker than last time and was able to go ahead and come home. He is still very woozy and is having trouble walking. I carried him into the house and laid him gently on the couch where he has situated himself to lay his head on my pillow that I keep on the couch. He appeared to be shivering as if he was cold, which I guess is a side affect of the sedation, so DH took my throw blanket and covered him up while I turned up the air. Little Dan goes over to him every now and then to sniff at him to make sure he is alright and Jake has even permitted Little Dan to lay with his head on Jake's bottom. It's as if Dan is trying to tell him that he will be ok and that I will take good care of him. Now it is a matter of just keeping an eye on the area where they removed the tooth, continue to give him his pain medication and just wait for him to start feeling better.