Subcutaneous Fluids

Lucy saw the E-vet yesterday after she had D for a couple of days and then started vomiting and refusing food. She was a little dehydrated and need some anti-nausea meds, so the e-vet gave us the option of leaving her at the clinic for 12 hours for IV fluids/meds, or loading her up with subcutaneous fluids and the meds and sending her home. We opted for the latter since she has SA and hasn't been able to take her meds since she got sick, and the vet was worried about her anxiety, pulling out the IV, etc (plus she wasn't that weak and I just thought she'd be happier at home). So, most of the fluid is absorbed, but it's now about 27 hours later and she still has a pocket of fluid under her belly. It's not a huge amount, but enough that you can see it when she's standing. It doesn't seem to bother her, but I'm worried. Has anyone ever had this done to their dog? How long did it take to absorb? I called the E-vet but the doctor is in surgery and can't call us back for a couple of hours and our normal vet won't give any advice since they didn't treat her :angry: ... so I'm trying to get some info now because I'm impatient and worried.

Oh -- and -- she's doing MUCH better, is very hungry, not vomiting, D is under control and she is very wound up and wanting to play.

Thanks in advance.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Ok, nevermind! The E-vet was able to call me quickly before surgery and said it's not "normal" but they gave her a ton of fluid, so it's ok that some is still lingering, and that we can put a warm compress on it to try to speed up the absorption.

Phew!

sig_border.jpg

We did B12 sub q with Beau when things were heading south rapidly back in January. for most it works, for Beau - it did not make a difference from him as it was not a vit be deficiency.

Hope you see steady improvements.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Energy11

I gave lots and lots of sub q fluids when I worked at the vets. Yes, after 27 hours, it should have been absorbed, but there ARE exceptions, especially if they gave her lots at the vets. Should be fine.

Good Luck and hope she feels better, soon! Hugs from here.

some of my dogs have had sub q in the past when they were really ill. my saluki(who survived parvo) looked bizarre but it saved his life. we repeated it numerous times. the same w/ my scottie when he first came down w/ addison's disease. i used to meet my vet at 7 am before office hrs. and have him hydrated until the addison's puzzle was solved.

it all eventually gets absorbed and when this is done they are usually so sick they don't notice anything. but it is wierd looking when they walk, right?

some of my dogs have had sub q in the past when they were really ill. my saluki(who survived parvo) looked bizarre but it saved his life. we repeated it numerous times. the same w/ my scottie when he first came down w/ addison's disease. i used to meet my vet at 7 am before office hrs. and have him hydrated until the addison's puzzle was solved.

it all eventually gets absorbed and when this is done they are usually so sick they don't notice anything. but it is wierd looking when they walk, right?

Yes! Lucy trotted across the yard and it was swinging under her belly and she looked back at it like, "is that ME?!" :lol

It's looking better already and I really don't think she minds it. I'm glad the vet gave us the option to do the subQ instead of hospitalizing her.

sig_border.jpg

Guest jfroggirl76

I give them to our cat with renal failure. We heat them up in the sink and test them like a baby's bottle. administer the needle just behind the shoulders behind the bones. PM me if you need any help.

I gave subQ fluids to Jazz daily for 11 months when she went into kidney failure. Her lump nearly always dissolved in half a day, but as long as only a little bit is left, it should go away eventually.

I'm glad Lucy is feeling better.

I give them to our cat with renal failure. We heat them up in the sink and test them like a baby's bottle. administer the needle just behind the shoulders behind the bones. PM me if you need any help.

Thanks for the offer - Luckily the vet did it since it was just a one-time thing....I can't imagine doing it myself....yikes. Though I'm sure I could if she really needed it and I had to. Let's hope I never have to!

sig_border.jpg

I can't imagine doing it myself....yikes.

You could do it if you needed to. If I can, anyone can. Sub-q fluids & B12/B-complex injections were once routine around here after having two pets in a row with renal failure. Got to go 3 years without that chore when my senior Grey got sick earlier this year. Had to give him sub-q fluids for several days in a row. Yep, it made me queasy but I was still able to. We knew Luke was better when he saw me coming with the bag & took off to the opposite side of the house. :lol: Hope Lucy is doing better & completely regained her girlish figure.

I know you already have your answer. I did this once with a girl of mine and her fluid "hump" migrated down into her chest/belly after a couple days. It looks funny but it eventually absorbed and didn't cause her any discomfort. I jsut thoguht she wanted to look more "feminine" :)

• 11 years later...

Hi so my dog got diagnosed with parvo and I did her 1st IV fluids and now I'm freaking I screwed up it is now six hours laters and only stayed in place around neck and she seems to be dry heaving off and on ... I'm so worried cause she twitched during in it and the needle moved and worried I didn't go too the side enough ... What signs should I look for other then parvo symptoms???

I used to have to give fluids to Aggie.  Occasionally some would collect in a pocket under her chest like you described but they always dissipated eventually with no issues.  I figured it must be "normal" :P.