Life Saving Meatballs (fat Balls)

mom2four

I read a post on the Greyhound cancer board last week about the life saving meatballs, and made some for Jamey over the weekend. He has lost 2 kg (about 4.5 lb) since his chemo started. He LOVES them and that is an understatement. But, there is a side effect, and it's a good one! Jamey has started to eat all of

his meals since he started on the meatballs. He ate 4 cups of kibbles yesterday, for the first time in over a month! I don't think it's a coincidence, since his appetite really declined after his 4th round of chemo, and did not come back before his 5th round. He actually asked for his supper yesterday. I thought I'd post this in case it helps someone else.

Jamey is at 55 lb now, soaking wet :lol Hopefully this will be his lowest weight. Before the amputation he was about 67 lb.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Excellent! :yay Those meatballs can work wonders! :chow

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

What do you use in your meatballs & how do you make them? Way to go Jamie!!

This recipe is from the Greyhound cancer board, COG.

Life Saving Meatballs

(Recipe for weight gain in dogs.)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 lbs. raw hamburger or ground turkey, the cheaper and fattier the

better

3-4 raw eggs

1 cup peanut butter

1/2 cup Karo corn syrup

1 cup wheat germ or oatmeal

Dump it all into a large bowl and mix together with your hands or

wooden spoon. Form into balls about the size of a Ping-Pong ball and feed

up to 10 meatballs per serving.

These meatballs are great for putting weight on thin or sick dogs and

for enticing ill dogs to eat. I freeze the meatballs on a cookie sheet and

then store the frozen balls in a zip lock bag. I can microwave the desired

number of meatballs as needed. Cool before serving.

Jamey really loves them, does not even chew (so I made them smaller than ping pong ball size!) They are also GREYT to hide pills in!

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

Good boy Jamey! Keep enjoying all your food!!

I have written down the recipe and have a question - are you microwaving to defrost, or actually cooking them?

I think it is to defrost them. I just take the appropriate amount out of the freezer and put them into the fridge a day ahead of time.