Susie (miz Susie York)

greyhndz

Susie made an unplanned journey to the Bridge on Saturday. A freak accident resulted in injuries from which Susie could not recover without great pain and duress, and her loving mum, Nancy, did what she knew in her heart was right, and set Susie free. As Nancy said (with a smile in her heart), the first thing Susie probably did when she reached the Bridge was hop up and down and chatter her 2 remaining teeth, demanding to be fed.

Susie spent most of her life on a breeding farm before, at age 11, she reached Grey Haven and Marilyn. Exactly one year ago yesterday, Susie arrived up here in NH after spending 10 days with Nancy and Don in DE. By the time she made it up here, she had a huge dowry of martingales and leashes, toys and, cookies. I adored Susie, and all of her quirks. She burrowed deep into my heart, and will never leave. But over the months, I came to feel that Susie was not as happy here as I wanted her to be. A dignified girl who'd spent her life in isolation, Susie was an independent, strong-willed gal who wanted to "do it myself, thank you". And she never seemed to feel comfortable amidst the dynamics of my pack. After 8 months, and with a heavy heart, Marilyn, Nancy and I felt that Susie deserved a chance to live the peaceful, stress-free life she deserved, without the fears that she seemed to be developing in our home.

Nancy and DH Don immediately opened up their hearts and home to Susie, and many tears later, Susie went home with them to DE in May. So she was finally home, with less stress, a smaller pack, and a quieter lifestyle. Nancy and I "co-parented", so Susie continued to have 2 mommies (and 1 daddy) who treasured her, and would do anything in the world to keep her feeling secure and content.

But sometimes, things happen that cannot be predicted, and despite every precaution, and every accommodation made to let Susie feel safe, a tragic accident occurred. And as Nancy, Don and I had come to know so well, Susie did not want to be handled, or taken to the vet, or have anyone trying to restrict her in any way. Nancy knew that the intervention needed for Susie to recover from her injuries would make Susie tremendously stressed and unhappy, and she knew so well what Susie would want: her freedom. A very kind vet came out to Nancy's house right after the accident, and set her free to join her housemate, new angel Kami, in their ultimate safe haven.

Susie leaves behind many broken hearts, most especially Nancy and Don's, mine, Marilyn's, and anyone who had ever been touched by Susie's courage and spark, her funny "Susie-isms" that made her so unique, her hops and chatters while she waited impatiently to be fed, her 5am wakeup calls, and her insistence at doing it "my way". She is survived by her sister, Mandy, who is thriving in FLA; and many of her kids who have found their forever homes through Marilyn.

"Tootie", our lives are richer for having known and loved you...

Edited by houndznigz

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so sorry for the loss of such a quirky and independent gal.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

I'm very sorry :(

Night night sweetie :beatheart

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

I'm sorry. :cry1 My sympathies to all who knew and loved her.

Godspeed Susie.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

My sympathy to all who love her - rest in peace, Susie.

:f_pink:grouphug:gh_lay:grouphug:f_pink

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

It's a special dog that fills the hearts in more than one home. :heart:f_red

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Oh, I am so sorry for the loss of this beautiful girl, who came to be loved by so many.

:hope:grouphug

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France