Carnivore Care?

Guest Fasave

Has anyone use Carnivore Care to get their pup eating? I have an PLN/ IBD/PLE dog who I've home cooked for the last eight months. A week and a half ago, he ended up at the e-vets with a fever caused by an infected tooth. The antibiotics completely through off his digestive track and he ended up back at the e-vets with severe intestinal cramping last Friday morning. This is a dog who was in ICU for 3 days last January. I have only found 10 foods that won't upset his stomach (millet, barley, oatmeal, quinoa, chicken, rabbit, venison, duck, buffalo, pheasant, salmon) and he won't eat any of them no matter the combination, consistency, temp, etc. He's on pred, aspirin, amlodipine, enalapril, flagyl and pepcid. He's drinking more than normal but I think it's because he's hungry and trying to fill his stomach. Aside from being a little quiet, he is otherwise relatively normal.

Here's the catch. This guy is schedule for a dental on Thursday to remove most if not all of his remaining teeth. His blood work was great last Thursday. I need to figure out whether to move ahead with the dental. If I don't, the teeth will likely continue to make him sick. If I do, I need to figure out how to get him eating soon! I am working with his vets but I feel like I need to continue to research other options.

I found Carnivore Care as a potential product to try. The list of ingredients looks okay but I can't find out how much to feed him. As anyone tried this product before? Any other advice? I have tried nutritional yeast which he likes until I put it on his food either sprinkled or as a gravy.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Is he OK with eggs & other "poultry meat" & fish oil? That looks like all that's in Carnivore Care other than vitamins & minerals. I agree that the website is a little light on info, not just on how much to feed but about the product in general. I guess they want you to deal with your vet on it.

Is he able to be on carafate for his stomach? That may not be where his problem is but it helps to coat & protect the stomach. Could he just be scared to eat because it might hurt?

Best wishes for him - I hope he starts eating again so he can get his mouth fixed.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Yes, he gets two egg whites a day to help with his albumin levels and a fish oil supplement. I do think he's associating his food with not feeling well as he is interested in other foods. Problem is, if I feed him what he wants it will likely make him sicker. I need to find a way to get him back on his regular food. His current diet was formulated by a veterinarian nutritionalist. It's low protein and phosphorus for his kidneys and restricted in certain foods due to his IBD. He gets a lot of calcium and vitamin supplements daily, as well as, fish oil. It was working so well for him, it's frustrating. Thanks for researching the Carnivore Care for me. It's sounds like an interesting product. I may call them directly.

Edited by Fasave

Well then it definitely sounds like it's worth a try.

Could a little of >the food he likes/is bad for him< on top of his >good food/prefers not to eat at the moment< get him jump-started?

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Great suggestions. I've tried but if I put it on top, he licks it off. If I stick it inside, he pulls it out. If I mix it in, he won't touch it. He's a stubborn guy. When everything unfolded in January, I knew this was not going to be an easy road. He had a great summer and I was optimistic that it would continue but also realized he's a sick guy and that it wouldn't take much for the balance to be thrown off.

Keep the suggestions coming.

You've tried different ways of cooking the meat - boiling, roasting, searing, nuking, raw? Maybe adding a little oil or cheese (parmesan) to it? If you put a little in his mouth, will he spit it out (sounds likely :rolleyes: )? Does he get jealous of your other dogs' food?

eta: Here is an article on inappetance in dogs. You already know why he's not eating but down at the bottom, the author lists a bunch of foods to try to overcome it. She's also got another link on her website with more suggestions.

Edited by sweetdogs