Entropion

Guest ogie65

Hi gang

So I've made it official - my foster Ethel is staying on my couch! Yay! To celebrate, I gave her a new chewy, which she promptly puked back up on my couch :rolleyes:

Well, she was diagnosed at the track with entropion, which is when one of the eyelids rolls under and irritates the eye :blink: Her eye looks inflamed, but the track vet said no corneal damage. I'm going to take her to my vet soon, but I was hoping to hear from y'all any experiences you've had with it. I'd like to fix it, but she doesn't seem to be in any discomfort to justify the significant risks.

I know about the only real treatment that can be done is surgical correction, luckily under local anaesthesia. There are significant risks including damage such that the eyelids can't close properly, which is worse than the entropion. Seeing as Ethel's eye isn't too bad, should I risk the surgery or just monitor it for now? What have the outcomes for this procedure been like?

Thanks as always for sharing the collective wisdom here!

Guest TeddysMom

Lots of my foster boxers had entropion, it is pretty common in the bully breeds. In order to adopt them out easier, we would have the surgery but I have a pug/beagle that has had this for years and has never bothered him. To me it is cosmetic and as long as it doesn't bother her and you can find her a home, I wouldn't do it.

If the entropion is severe enough that the eyelashes are touching the eye and yup, you must have the surgery performed. Try and imagine having something in your eye 24/7 never mind the corneal damage it will cause. Double-check with the Dr about performing the surgery using only a local---never heard of that.

Congrates on your new girlie!! :) Pics please!!

Edited by tbhounds

I'd check with a veterinary opthamologist about it. If her eye looks inflamed, that's not good. She may have just gotten used to it but no way could I leave it like that.

Congrats Ethel - welcome home! :confetti No more puking on the couch - that's what carpet is for! :lol

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

My cat had entropian before I adopted him. It ended up scaring his eyes and leaving him partially blind due to it going without treatment for so long. I'd have it fixed.

Melanie and Eric with Leminim and Eieio and silly kitty Elsa.
See you again someday, my sweet Payton (Flying Payton May 9, 2000-March 18, 2012)
Missing my sweet JJ, world's sweetest cat (April 1997-November 30, 2015)

Stealing food in heaven, my darling Minnie (2006-April 21, 2016)
Reunited with her favorite person in heaven, my Dad, Satin the skittish kitty (2002-May 7, 2016)

Thanks all. Yeah, Ethel doesn't seemed bothered by it, but the inflammation bothers me. Chronic inflammation just can't be good. I'm glad to hear this operation doesn't sound like such a big deal. Of course, the online research I did on the condition came up with all the possible dire consequences of the surgery, so I didn't want to rush onto the table. I'll talk to my vet and see if I should get an opthamology referral.

I know the :rules I promise to get pics up soon! The computer with my photos crashed over the weekend, so it will take a few days to get back up and running. Ethel is no dummy - the dogs have their own slipcovered couch to lounge on, but she puked on the off-limits "nice" couch instead of her own :eek

Guest eaglflyt

I don't know if this may apply to dogs, but in horses and lambs, our equine vet would inject a bit of penicillin into the eyelid (NOT the eye). It would cause scar tissue to build up and pulls the eyelid into a normal position. There was no anesthesia given and the procedure was tolerated well. You might research and seek the advice of a veterinary opthalmologist to see if this might be possible for your hound.

Guest TeddysMom

I have to apologize. Last night when I posted about entropion being cosmetic, my mind was thinking of cherry eye not entropion. Everyone is right, it needs to be fixed, even is one eyelash or hair is rubbing the eye, it can cause pain and scarring.

I guess that is what happens when you get old, the mind get foggy!!

Guest KiKi_Girl

I used to work for an oculoplastic surgeon who did entropion repair on people in the office under local anesthesia. I agree with everyone else, have an vet ophthalmologist take a look at her eye. It should be a quick procedure that will make her much more comfortable.