Blueberry Is Sick

Guest houndstooth4

Guest houndstooth4

We think that some canned dog food we gave the dogs this morning has made them all sick. Bunny started out throwing up this morning. Lilac sniffed it and refused to eat. Hawk threw up this afternoon. We thought Blueberry's cast iron stomach had spared her, but it seems to have just delayed the inevitable. She started throwing up last, and I'd say it started about five or six hours ago. At first it was the food she'd eaten, just like the others did. But now hers has gone on to the point where she's just throwing up bile and a very small amount of blood. Is there anything we can do to help her stop throwing up? We are pretty far from the e-vet, and we just spent $400 with Lilac's episode on Thursday, so I'm hoping to avoid the $75 they will charge us just to walk in the door if I can at all. Is it okay to give her something like Pepto?

Oh no!

Well, if you think they got some bad food, they will need to throw up/go through the big D to rid their bodies of the toxins, but not for too long. I would keep a very careful eye on them because they might need fluid therapy, and/or support for their metabolic functions, depending on how toxic it was. I doubt pepcid would hurt, but might not help much either.

Do you have any pedialyte? I think there's a home-made recipe online somewhere, which you make with apple juice and salt and so on.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

I found one -

Home-made pedialyte

1 quart purified or natural spring water

2-4 teaspoons raw, unprocessed sugar, or 1-2 teaspoons of powdered

fruit sugar (fructose)

1 teaspoon Himalayan or Celtic sea salt

Boil water, add sugar (or fructose) and salt. Stir. Let cool.

Refrigerate what you do not use, but do not keep for more than 48

hours; make a new batch. Safe for pets, particularly puppies and rabbits.

I'm sure it doesn't matter if it's ordinary sugar and ordinary salt. :P

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Oh no!

Yes, she can have pepto bismol and/or pepcid (famotidine is the generic).

If she doesn't want to drink and you think she ought, you can stir a tablespoon or two of honey or molasses into a cup of water; or give 1/3 - 2/3 apple juice and water.

Hope she is over it soonest.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hi,

Is she doing any better Carrie and Matt? Poor girl!

Another good option in situations like this is Kaopectate - but make sure the label says it contains Kaolin and Pectin (I think you can still find it this way), as there are actually a few different formulations of Kaopectate (you do not want the kind that has bismuth subsalicylate - see below).

You can get plain Kaolin at Farm and Fleet by the gallon in the livestock section. It's pretty cheap.

I had my vet order me a gallon of Kaolin/Pectin and I think it only cost about $8. It's great for coating the stomach.

From Wikipedia: The active ingredient in Kaopectate has changed since its original creation. Originally, kaolin was used as the adsorbent and pectin as the emollient. Attapulgite clay replaced the kaolinite in the 1980's, but since 2004, bismuth subsalicylate has been used as the active ingredient in U.S. marketed products.

BTW - it was great seeing you, Blueberry and Bunny yesterday. Hope to see you at the GPA Gala on the 26th with some healthy hounds!

Guest houndstooth4

I'd love to go to the Gala, but I'm not sure if we will or not. It's a pretty long trip for the day for us.

I may have something here that will work if that's the case!

Guest 3greysinPA

Just wondering how the hounds are.... Did you give them Pepto? or Pepcid?

many prayers :hope that they get better soon... poor sweeties... :wub:

also, just wondering ... you said you thought it was the canned food? did you think about contacting the company and letting them know?

What kind of food was it?

Guest GentleHugs

If you think it was the canned food - save the can and put it in a plastic bag somewhere locked up so the hounds won't get to it just in case you need to take them to your vet. You'll have the can with trace amounts of food in it to be tested if necessary.

I'd also check the recall site (can't remember the url for it - sorry) and make sure it's not being recalled for something in the food.

What brand and flavor was the canned food? How long have you had it? Was the can bloated or bulging anywhere before you opened it? That would be helpful to know.

Just one thing to add to the good advice you've received already: if you give a bit of fluid, and that doesn't stay down either, don't give them anything for a time, and watch carefully for dehydration.

One of mine got to the point where her system was rejecting anything. After a weekend of that, she needed a day at the clinic with sedation and IV fluids. I don't know if she would have been better off if I hadn't kept trying to get water into her, but she sure wouldn't have been worse off if I'd stopped. :(

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Also -- if it gets really bad where they're vomiting 24+ hours, the vet can give an injection of an anti-nausea med that will stop the vomiting (I only know this because Lucy got that today and it was a huge help). But if it's bad food, it should work its way out of their systems. Poor pups. :( I agree with others who mentioned contacting the company and saving the can. Maybe post the brand on the Food board and see if anyone else is having a similar problem?

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Guest houndstooth4

They seem mostly better today, except for poor Hawk. He's slowed down, though. The girls seem to be better.

For those who asked, it was Merrick's, some kind of fish thing that we haven't tried before. We won't be trying it again. I was going to call the store where we bought it and tell them about it.

Poor babes...hope everyone is 100% soon! :grouphug

Usethisone.jpg

Patti-Mommy of Lady Sophia 7-28-92 - 8-3-04... LaceyLaine 8-2-94-12-5-07...

Flash Gordon 7-14-99 - 8-29-09... BrookLynne...Pavé Maria... and 18 Bridge Kids.

WATCHING OVER US~SOPHIA~QUEENIE~LACEY LAINE~

CODY ANGELO~FLASH GORDON.

Glad the kids are mostly better this morning, sending prayers for Hawk!

If you have time, call the manufacturer, too -- number should be on the can.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.