Rimadyl Overdose....

Guest LeanneSchatz

Guest LeanneSchatz

It never ends here. So Bea is on Rimadyl after her extraction. We were out last night for a few hours and the Rimadyl was in the pantry but we unknowingly left the door ajar slightly and Sizzle got in and ate Bea's Rimadyl. She ate 9 of them and the cap of the bottle. She worked hard to get it, it wasn't in plain sight. She tore a bag open and ate the cap off the bottle to get to them.

We went to the E-vet immediately and he consulted with the ASPCA poison control line. They gave her activated charcoal and some kind of GI protectant. She is on the GI protectant for the next 7 days and pepcid.

I hope she will be ok. So far, she has vomited several times, charcoal mostly but she's acting fine.

I am worried about liver and kidneys. Anyone have any experience in this?

Please pray for her. I just want two healthy greys and Sizzle was to have a dental on Thursday this week.

thanks!

Leanne

This happened to us - Mabel got into an old biottle of Rimadyl that had been Daisy's. We had forgotten about it and the lower cabinet it was in was left ajar.

Both dogs got charcoal and such since we weren't sure who ate what - all was OK, but yes it is very scary. I'm sure your pup will be fine due to your quick response!

Karen with Tessye (galgo b 2017), Fidel (galgo b c2012), and bridge kids Dublin (J's Texmex 1996-12/31/01), Daisy (Assurance 8/8/95-9/26/07),  Bubba (Kelsos Irony b 5/99-8/19/10), and Mabel (Googly Spin  1/06-11/19)

greytalk-siggie-feb-2023.jpg

Guest Energy11

Your quick response and the activated charcoal most likely saved her life, kidneys and liver! Once this is all over, I'd get a blood panel done, just to be sure!

Yes, when it rains, it pours. Hope everything continues gonig smoothly after this.

Guest hlpnhounds

Is there a reason they didn't keep her there on IV fluids ? Normally we want to flush out those kidneys. The activated charcoal does wonders to absorb/bind the toxins, though. I just know our NSaid toxicities are recommended to stay on IV fluids for 72 hours......not sure what the protocol is for smaller doses though since most that we see have been on the med chronically and the pet eats 100 or more pills.....

Guest KennelMom

Yikes! I, too, am surprised she's not at the vet on fluids and being monitored.

I hope she continues to do well and suffers no ill effects. This is a good reminder to folks to take nothing for granted. We may not think the hounds can smell those beef flavored pills in the closed bottle on the counter...but they are much more aware of these things than we can imagine. Meds, even ones that aren't necessarily dangerous or are difficlut to overdose on, should always, always be kept in an inaccessable place.

9, 100 mg Rimadyl, while a high dose, isn't even close a lethal dose for a greyhound size dog. According to the package insert, approximately this dosage was even given in studies and was more or less well tolerated. Yes, her gut is going to be upset, but unless there is some other liver or kidney condition already present, I wouldn't freak out too badly. You did good in getting it up and gone with the activated charcoal.

You also just discovered why the chewable pills are not a good idea if you have a countersurfing chowhound in the house.

FWIW, my countersurfer has gotten into at least this amount on 2 occasions that I know of, and aside from making him throw it up at home (no activated charcoal) and really, really wetting his food down for a while to keep him well hydrated, we didn't do anything. His bloodwork is fine. Dogs have some pretty tough kidneys. Of course, every dog is different and it's always best to err on the side of caution, but you did everything right, and it's doubtful that you have anything to worry about.

Lynn

Guest freightsmom

Yikes! It seems like lately we are having a run on hounds getting into things not good for them. Thanks for reminding us again to be extra careful with meds and other bad things they can get into. Hugs to you all...

Guest LeanneSchatz

I am waiting for Sizzle's vet to call me this morning. She received the report from the E-vet this morning. Sizzle seems fine. She never acted like anything was wrong except for she was a little tired from throwing up after she had the charcoal at the hospital. She's supposed to go for her dental on Thursday but I don't know now.

I am just so worried about any damage that may not appear. The e-vet said that based on his calculations and those that the ASPCA poison control center gave him, she's well under the amout for renal toxicity.

Fingers crossed. I feel so incredibly guilty still. She's my baby and I'd never do anything to harm her. :(

Guest Energy11

Seems like good news :-)) After all she has been through, I might hold off for a few weeks on that dental, to give her little system time to recover. Hugs and good Luck!

I am waiting for Sizzle's vet to call me this morning. She received the report from the E-vet this morning. Sizzle seems fine. She never acted like anything was wrong except for she was a little tired from throwing up after she had the charcoal at the hospital. She's supposed to go for her dental on Thursday but I don't know now.

I am just so worried about any damage that may not appear. The e-vet said that based on his calculations and those that the ASPCA poison control center gave him, she's well under the amout for renal toxicity.

Fingers crossed. I feel so incredibly guilty still. She's my baby and I'd never do anything to harm her. :(

I hope all's well with your hound; you might get the pre-anesthesia bloodwork done for the dental if you're concerned there might be liver damage.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest LeanneSchatz

I hope all's well with your hound; you might get the pre-anesthesia bloodwork done for the dental if you're concerned there might be liver damage.

Yes, for sure! I am sure the vet will want bloodwork regardless. I just don't know how long it takes for problems to show up, I have read sometimes it takes a while for kidney and liver problems to show after something like this.