Twitchy Skin

Meandmy

You know how most dogs have that one spot where you scritch them and their back leg gets kicking? Well, my Shadow has always had a spot like that. In the last 3 weeks or so, though, pretty much his whole body has started reacting like that. Anywhere on his neck, shoulders or back his skin will twitch and crawl if you run your hands over it. And if you actually pet him in one of those spots he starts trying to kick his back leg (which doesn't work very well since his back end is so weak).

So these days the only place we can pet him is his head or his haunches. Weird? Definitely. Worrisome? I'm not sure.

What do you all think?

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Have you added anything new to his diet?

We had a period with Foxy like that when I actually had to take her collar off. I was scared that she would fall down the stairs since as she moved her neck the collar would rub and her skin would twitch, back leg would kick. I was getting scared that it was neurological, turned out to be allergies.

She was having a reaction to the kelp I had started adding about 3 or 4 weeks before. Thanks to a discussion with Trish of Dog Dayz, we eliminated the kelp immediately, and she was back to normal in about 2 weeks.

Casual Bling & Hope for Hounds
Summer-3bjpg.jpg
Janet & the hounds Maggie and Allen Missing my baby girl Peanut, old soul Jake, quirky Jet, Mama Grandy and my old Diva Miz Foxy; my angel, my inspiration. You all brought so much into my light, and taught me so much about the power of love, you are with me always.
If you get the chance to sit it out or dance.......... I hope you dance! Missing our littlest girl.

I wonder about allergies too. I had a dog once that developed seasonal allergies every Sept during harvest time. She would get twitchy and itchy and I would take her in to the vet to get an injection of benedryl and that fixed her right up.

My girl Snow just started that same behavior a week or two ago. I'm not sure why? We have three greyhounds that have the same regimen, she is the only one who does it. The others have a spot, with Snow it's anywhere hehind her neck now.

Thanks so much for the responses. Nothing has changed for him in the house (same food, treats, beds, detergent, etc) but I know my seasonal allergies have kicked in big time. Maybe he is getting seasonal allergies for the first time?

I'll talk to my vet about it and see if he thinks Shadow should be on any medication.

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Javagirl

I had to drop Ladd off this morning at the Vet with itchy and bleeding skin. I didn't sleep the whole night I was so terrified.

He has what I thought was a 'hot spot' which started when I was away at a destination wedding last week. I have been cleaning the wound diligently and putting antibiotic cream on it for the past week and a half and also putting his light fleece coat on during the day when I'm not at home so he can't get at the wound with his teeth. He has been coming to me for scritches and rubs lately, which he never does. His whole skin seems to ripple when I scratch him.

I thought things were getting better until last night when I sat down to brush him, hair was coming out in small clumps and his skin was bleeding. He seemed so itchy and uncomfortable, I didnt' notice at first because he seemed to enjoy the brushing so much. When I saw the blood on the brush I immediately dumped him in the tub and washed him down with a mild shampoo and warm water. The water was all bloody and I was trying so hard not to FREAK OUT. He did seem more comfortable after the bath. Ladd is my only greyhound and my first grey too, so I can be a worry wart but I called my adoption group and my BFF who is a Vet (she kept telling me fleas, but I know its not). We were at the Vet just as they opened this morning and he's there now waiting to be seen. I'm so worried about him. I don't think its anything crazy like staph but he does seem to have some kind of infection. I guess it could be allergies but so sudden?? Oh I'm so worried!

Kristyn

Guest Harry702
I had to drop Ladd off this morning at the Vet with itchy and bleeding skin. I didn't sleep the whole night I was so terrified.

He has what I thought was a 'hot spot' which started when I was away at a destination wedding last week. I have been cleaning the wound diligently and putting antibiotic cream on it for the past week and a half and also putting his light fleece coat on during the day when I'm not at home so he can't get at the wound with his teeth. He has been coming to me for scritches and rubs lately, which he never does. His whole skin seems to ripple when I scratch him.

I thought things were getting better until last night when I sat down to brush him, hair was coming out in small clumps and his skin was bleeding. He seemed so itchy and uncomfortable, I didnt' notice at first because he seemed to enjoy the brushing so much. When I saw the blood on the brush I immediately dumped him in the tub and washed him down with a mild shampoo and warm water. The water was all bloody and I was trying so hard not to FREAK OUT. He did seem more comfortable after the bath. Ladd is my only greyhound and my first grey too, so I can be a worry wart but I called my adoption group and my BFF who is a Vet (she kept telling me fleas, but I know its not). We were at the Vet just as they opened this morning and he's there now waiting to be seen. I'm so worried about him. I don't think its anything crazy like staph but he does seem to have some kind of infection. I guess it could be allergies but so sudden?? Oh I'm so worried!

Kristyn

OMG, Kristyn. Poor Laddie! :( I hope everything is okay... will be thinking about him today.

To the OP, I've never seen twitchy skin in a dog, but one of my cats gets it from time to time. I'm not 100% sure, but I think in her case, it's related to some momentary irriation or itch... maybe dry skin? I'm not sure. Her "episodes" are usually brief, very occasional, and have never progressed to a higher level of severity, so we've never felt the need to take her to the vet. I'm also wondering if what your pup has might be allergies... if it doesn't get better soon, I'd definitely be in to see the vet.

Holly had this before. If I remember correctly, it only lasted about two weeks or so. Basically you would pet her and her whole side would ripple all the way down. She never scrathed at it or seemed uncomfortable or anything, so we did a wait and see approach and it just stopped. I have heard of this with other hounds as well...

gallery_2175_3047_5054.jpg

Michelle...forever missing her girls, Holly 5/22/99-9/13/10 and Bailey 8/1/93-7/11/05

Religion is the smile on a dog...Edie Brickell

Wag more, bark less :-)

Guest Javagirl

Update!

Ladd has been diagnosed with a bacteria infection of the skin. He will go on some antibiotics, not sure which ones yet because I'm still at work and won't pick him up until after 6pm but we lucked out. I was very worried that he would somehow be contagious - and we're leaving for Dewey in less than 24 hours. Other than looking a little funny because of some shaved spots, he will absolutely fine.

Thanks everyone,

Kristyn