Pet Insurance

Guest littlesyd85

Guest Energy11

I am going to buy Trupanion next week, as they cover dogs up to 14 years and to me, have the best benefits. It will cost me about $250/month for the five, and Curfew and Goldie's pre-existing conditions will not be covered, but still ... it is a good deal, and you can choose your deductibles. Good Luck!

I have PetFirst for Carl and Claire. They've been very good to me. Carl had nearly $2,000 in claims within the first 12 months, they covered up to 90%, minus the $50 deductible per incident, with no questions at all. Their prices are great, too.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

There was a great article in The Whole Dog Journal earlier this year comparing the different plans. It's a good read if you can get your hands on it. I have VPI Superior Plan with the cancer endorsement. It's been a good investment for the one dog who has had two different soft tissue sarcomas but for my IBD dog, it hasn't covered too much. I pay about $43 per month per dog (both 10) with a $50 deductible per incident. They have a benefits schedule which tells how much for each health issue they reimburse. I will likely go with a different provider the next time around.

Guest eaglflyt

I can strongly recommend Embrace Pet Insurance. They have totally customizable policies (all your choice) and cover congenital issues, too. We had our girl at the vet on a Friday and were reimbursed with the $ in our bank the following Thursday ... 6 days! They are caring and wonderful to deal with. I can absolutely highly recommend them.

Guest zoolaine

I have PetFirst for my three - they specialize in multi-dog policies. I pay $139/month for my 5 with a $50 deductible and 10% co-pay. I also have the routine coverage on mine - so each dog gets $220 in routine benefits a year - of which I use almost all of it (for example I think they each get $60 for flea and tick prevention, $75 for dental or bloodwork, $20 for their yearly physical, $50 for vaccinations, etc). So I pay $1,668 a year and if you subtract the routine care benefits that will actually gat ($200 per dog = $1,000 per year) it comes to just $668 a year or $55.67 a month or $11.13 per dog per month for accident and illness coverage - a pretty good deal if you ask me. The cool thing was when I adopted Jupiter my policy went up $19 a month, which is $228 a year - but he gets his own $220 a year in routine benefits. I have had them for a little over a year and I think with Sunny going to the ER with cat bite wounds and Zali breaking her toe, then some small claims I think I have gotten my money back and then some.

Some of the other companies look good as well, but for the price PetFirst offers the best deal for our needs.

Edited by zoolaine

Guest VanillaBean

I have PetFirst Ins. as well. I have had no problems getting reimbursed for things that were not pre-existing. I LOVE that they will reimburse for wellness exams, vaccinations, heartworm and flea medication. Haven't tested them yet with a real accident. Thank goodness!!

Guest wdlndgreasil

I chose Trupanion for Evie after watching BF go through high medical costs for his girl without insurance. Trupanion has 60 days free for dogster.com members which was an incentive. I chose a $250 deductible so her monthly premiums are a bit higher - $47/mo I believe.

So far they've called to follow up & explain their program to me, etc. The one question I'm waiting to hear on is how they determine what is pre-existing when you adopt an adult dog - since you have no idea what the dog's history is [unlike getting a baby puppy].

Getting a new boy in the next month and will sign him up as well. Since he's younger, going to go for the higher $500 deductible which quotes in at $27.89/mo.

My goal is to not have to ever use it now that I have it! :rolleyes:

Guest eaglflyt

We customized our policy with Embrace. We chose the $200 annual deductible, 90% coverage, and $10,000 annual maximum (which restarts each year). They do offer coverage for vaccinations, prescriptions, dentals, heartworm meds., etc. , but we chose to not buy those with our policy. They automatically cover congenital conditions and any form of cancer (these aren't an extra charge!) and have EXCELLENT customer service. Pre-existing conditions are excluded, but with an adopted dog, they just go by what history may be available. For our girl, it began with the vet exam, heartworm & TBD testing, and her spay done by our adoption group's vet. There are so many options you can choose to have, or not, it's all up to you. Our premium is $36/month. It could be as low as $19 per month if we had chosen different options. It could have been higher if we chose more options, too. Embrace also has an excellent customer satisfaction rating.

We've had our coverage on Ady Bea since the first part of June '09. We've already surpassed breaking even! (Although I'm glad to have the coverage, I hope this trend doesn't continue.)

Good luck in making your choice and you'll feel much more at ease with coverage.

Shelly in OK

edited to correct spelling and add information

Edited by eaglflyt

Guest Energy11

I just signed all five of mine up for Trupanion. I think it is the best out there, especially of you have older dogs like mine, ages 7-9. For the five, it is $234/monthly. You can choose the deductible of your choice. I chose $100 for each dog, per incident. They cover everything except pre-existing conditions. (*I only have two with this).

They will even let my vet bill THEM instead of me! Check it out!

http://www.trupanionpetinsurance.com/

Dee and "The Insured Five :-)"

Guest TBSFlame

I have been thinking about pet insurance for some of mine. The day to day taking care of dogs is not a problem it is if they get really sick or get hurt. Recently Star went to the vet and so far her bill is up to $600 and we now go into more testing as we have not yet discovered why she has snot coming out of her nose. I feel sure the bill will be getting bigger and bigger.