What Is This...

Guest Downtownhoundz

Just from a picture it sort of looks like an old scar... :dunno

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Could be a cyst, could be nearly anything. Assuming it's only in the skin (meaning, not attached to underlying tissue or bone) I'd keep an eye on it for a while. If it changes (gets bigger, angrier, etc) I'd have it looked at by a vet.

gallery_4518_2903_2157.jpg
~Aimee, with Flower, Alan, Queenie, & Spodee Odee! And forever in my heart: Tipper, Sissy, Chancy, Marla, Dazzle, Alimony, and Boo. This list is too damned long.

Guest Downtownhoundz
Has he been licking or chewing the area?

No, he can't get to that spot, but he has been going after the crease in his front leg. He will lick and lick and lick until it is raw!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Downtownhoundz

Ok, now that "thing" is twice the size! It protrudes out from his fur.I'm gonna have the vet look at it...please don't let it be cancer,I can't go thru that again so soon.. :unsure

It looks to me like some kind of pustule/skin infection. If so, having it drained and maybe getting him on some anti-bees will fix it.

Hopefully that's all it is.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Guest FullMetalFrank

It looks similar to Chelsa's "bump." We had a fine needle aspirate done on hers and the vet said it's most likely a sebaceous cyst. Hers shrunk after the vet drained some fluid off to analyze but now it is back to where it was. Our vet said we could get it removed if we wanted to but it's not necessary, and I opted to leave it until something else comes up that requires anesthesia.

I'd go to the vet and get it looked at; I know it brought us a lot of peace of mind when we got Chelsa's looked at! Hoping it's a "nothing to worry about" for you, too!

Guest TheUnrulyHound
Maybe just an early histiocytoma?

I pray it's nothing serious.

I don't know what that is, but it sounds scary.... :unsure

a hystiocytoma is a good possibility, they go away on their own after about 6 weeks or so. Cabby had one, they did a needle aspiration and it went away on its own. Though his was a lot redder than what you have pictured...

DSCN1349.jpg

DSCN1323.jpg

ETA the first pic is the first day.. the second is about 24 hours later... after 6 weeks or so it was all healed and hair had grown back (it all fell out from the surface of the bump)

it doubled in size overnight

I hope it is this or something even less troublesome......

Edited by TheUnrulyHound

Guest Greytluv
It looks to me like some kind of pustule/skin infection. If so, having it drained and maybe getting him on some anti-bees will fix it.

Hopefully that's all it is.

That's what it looks like to me.

Guest Downtownhoundz
Maybe just an early histiocytoma?

I pray it's nothing serious.

I don't know what that is, but it sounds scary.... :unsure

a hystiocytoma is a good possibility, they go away on their own after about 6 weeks or so. Cabby had one, they did a needle aspiration and it went away on its own. Though his was a lot redder than what you have pictured...

DSCN1349.jpg

DSCN1323.jpg

ETA the first pic is the first day.. the second is about 24 hours later... after 6 weeks or so it was all healed and hair had grown back (it all fell out from the surface of the bump)

it doubled in size overnight

I hope it is this or something even less troublesome......

That's exactly what it looks like! How in the world do they get those things ????

Nube gets stuff like that all the time :( :( they go away on their own...

sending healing hugs your way! :hope:grouphug:hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

It looks similar to Chelsa's "bump." We had a fine needle aspirate done on hers and the vet said it's most likely a sebaceous cyst. Hers shrunk after the vet drained some fluid off to analyze but now it is back to where it was. Our vet said we could get it removed if we wanted to but it's not necessary, and I opted to leave it until something else comes up that requires anesthesia.

I'd go to the vet and get it looked at; I know it brought us a lot of peace of mind when we got Chelsa's looked at! Hoping it's a "nothing to worry about" for you, too!

Maddie has one of these as well, hers has hair growing out of it. We aspirated it and that is how we found out it is a cyst. I refused to put her under anethesia just for this. Vet told me to keep an eye on it and if it grows any bigger she will need to have it removed, it has not grown but it did help to find out what it is. I did ask an aminal communicator to ask Maddie if it bother her and Maddie's response was "No Mommy it is not bothering me, it will pop on it's on and will go away. I am still waiting for it to pop Maddie/ :colgate

Get it checked out Anne for your peace of mind. Hugs to you and your boy

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

Guest TheUnrulyHound

Maddie has one of these as well, hers has hair growing out of it. We aspirated it and that is how we found out it is a cyst. I refused to put her under anethesia just for this. Vet told me to keep an eye on it and if it grows any bigger she will need to have it removed, it has not grown but it did help to find out what it is. I did ask an aminal communicator to ask Maddie if it bother her and Maddie's response was "No Mommy it is not bothering me, it will pop on it's on and will go away. I am still waiting for it to pop Maddie/ :colgate

Get it checked out Anne for your peace of mind. Hugs to you and your boy

Oh Maddie you are so cute :blush

That's exactly what it looks like! How in the world do they get those things ????

no idea :dunno

Guest eaglflyt

Here's a quote from this site ( http://www.vet.uga.edu/VPP/clerk/woods/index.php ) concerning histiocytomas:

Summary

Cutaneous histiocytomas are benign round cell tumors of Langerhans cell origin. Neoplasms are seen predominantly in young dogs, but can occur in older dogs. These neoplasms usually appear as small, red, raised, sparsely haired nodules that often have an ulcerated surface. They are observed most commonly on the head and neck, but may occur on the trunk and limbs, including the feet and toes. Diagnosis can generally be sufficiently made on the basis of history, signalment, and fine-needle aspiration cytology. In some instances, histopathology may be required for a definitive diagnosis. Most histiocytomas regress spontaneously without treatment; however, surgical excision is usually curative. These neoplasms rarely metastasize and the prognosis for non-recurrence is excellent.

Hope this helps. If he has a histiocytoma it will most likely resolve on its own.

Guest Downtownhoundz

We went to the vet today and a histio yada yada is exactly what it is!!! She did a needle aspiration, and said it should clear up in a while..Whew, I was relieved! Ben was a really good boy! :kiss2