For Those On At This Late Hour, Just Need Some Reassurance

Guest jessicaksu125

Guest jessicaksu125

Gigi broke her toenail (the little one on her front right foot). One minute she seemed fine, she yelped a bit getting off the couch, then she was in the kitchen, it was hanging at a 90 degree angle, and it was bleeding like crazy.

I found a little e-tutorial, put antiseptic on it and bandaged it. I'll call the vet first thing in the morning.

I guess I know this is something I shouldn't panic and call the e-vet over but I just need the reassurance... she seems ok... still bleeding just not nearly as much... poor girl!! It's like she's the one who always hurts herself whereas Miss Pulitzer never seems to get sick!

Edited by jessicaksu125

ya not an evet thing as long as you can controll the bleeding. Psi did this last week lucky it was during the day so off to vet we went. They had to remove the toe nail since it wasnt really attached. We had to keep the bandage from getting wet for 3 days. All is fine. Good luck

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

Guest GreytfullDad
ya not an evet thing as long as you can controll the bleeding. Psi did this last week lucky it was during the day so off to vet we went. They had to remove the toe nail since it wasnt really attached. We had to keep the bandage from getting wet for 3 days. All is fine. Good luck

Greyt advice' here and I have nothing to add but best wishes for a speedy recovery

Guest Energy11

Staggerlee did this a few months ago. I didn't vet him at all. It healed well, too. Here is a cut and past from the first aid presentation we did for Mt. Hounds. Hope if helps!

One of THE most common injuries to your greyhounds are foot injuries. For torn pads, pulled or broken off nails, clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or spray, or triple antibiotic ointment to the wound. Cover with a clean toddler sock (*usually shoe size 3-8.5), and tape the sock on loosely (*too tight will cut off the circulation to the foot ... you should be able to slide you pinkie finger between the tape and sock with ease) with tape, preferably, Transpore clear tape. Cover with a bootie. I use the high booties available from The Voyagers: http://www.k9apparel.com/index.php?manufacturers_id=5. Usually, a torn nail will fall off in a matter of days, but it is advisable to see your veterinarian for a course of antibiotics and follow-up for the injury.

I do take them to the vet when the pop a nail off the quick only because even though I'm a nurse, I'm a pansy when it comes to hurting my own, so it's worth the $$ for me to have the vet yank the nail off. The pressure from the bandage will slow the bleeding, keep it in fresh bandage for a few days until it's not sensitive anymore, then just keep it covered for outside trips and she should be fine. the nail may or may not grow back normal. my vet says they usually don't, but my dogs' always have. antibiotics -probably-aren't necessary as long as you can keep it clean and dry during outside trips.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest jessicaksu125

She's doing better now. This morning she woke up and was running around like nothing was wrong. I got her to the vet, they were able to trim it back a bit but every time the vet touched it she screamed bloody murder.

Ultimately the vet gave her some pain meds and wrapped it up. She gave me some antibiotics and said once the nail starts to grow back the hanging part will fall off. It's kinda hard to explain.

Right now she's conked out in her crate from pain meds.

Guest DoofBert

Bacchus did his toenail in about two months ago....still can't figure out how. Anyway, I was a little uneasy about the bleeding....so I took him to the e vet. By the time we got the evet and were seen, the bleeding stopped. E vet thanked me for an easy case on an otherwise crazy night (and thanks me for the $100 donation to his vacation fund!)

We kept the foot wrapped for about 5 days and watched to makes sure no sign of infection.

Bacchus didn't miss a beat and now had an odd looking nail growing in!

Good luck.

Guest jessicaksu125

Thanks! Gigi and Pulitzer are lying butt to butt on the couch leaving no room for me, of course! I think the pain meds did gigi in but she seems ok.

I'm so mad though... the vet charged me for a nail clip even though they only clipped one nail!

Edited by jessicaksu125