1st Time At Dog Park

2ndChance

We had a GREEYYYT time at the dog park for the first time, but my baby got a booboo.... It's not bleeding excessively so I know he doesn't need stitches. However, it's about a centimeter tall and wide and I just want to make sure I do the right thing to make sure it doesnt get infected.

I wiped it asap with an antiseptic wipe twice. Went to Petsmart and she said hydrogen peroxide and bandage it up....add triple-antibiotic if I wanted. Of course the guaze with the bandage lasted all of 5 seconds. So i put a liquid bandage adhesive on it. I'll see how it looks tomorrow, but I wanted to know your advice on the "minor" scrapes Greys are prone to get b/c of their fragile skin.

I live in a condo and the dogpark is my dog's saving grace for true fun time with dogs and running...I'd HATE to take that away from him....I know dog parks are not the best place for them.

Advice GT THXXX!!! :)

Guest Energy11

Sorry you had to go through this. WE could never do doggie parks, as I have three very high prey dogs, and two that hate anything that is not a greyhound. "(( We have to be extremely selective where we bring them, and be sure there are NO other dogs.

Anyway, here is something from our first aid presention from Mt. Hounds ... hope it helps.

As most of us already know, greyhounds’ skin is thin, and when cut, tears like a zipper! If your dogs get cut or bitten, and it is a weekend or night, ... YOU CAN treat this yourself, for the most part. (*If the wound is into the muscle, or the bone is showing, see the vet IMMEDIATELY.

If it the wound is superficial here is what you do: Hold pressure to stop the bleeding. Gently clean the wound with antibacterial soap and water, and blot dry. Apply Trypzyme-V ointment or triple-antibiotic ointment to the would. Cover with a large band aid, or non-stick dressing. You can cover this, depending on the size , with a maxi pad, and affix to the dog’s body with Kling (stretch bandage) or the Surgical tubing mentioned in the ear segment. This dressing needs to be changed twice daily, and you need to see your vet for a course of antibiotics and a follow-up. Deramaxx or Rimadyl can be given for pain. If you don’t have either of these, ONE 81 mg BUFFERED aspirin can be given daily, according to Dr. Beau Delaporte, D.V.M., but for only a short time, as this can cause stomach upset and ulcers.

GOOD LUCK!

Greyt advice...thank you! He has no pain..barely knows it's there, so i don't think any meds is necessary. Like I said, i'll keep an eye on for an infection and then off to the vet asap. The bandage around the body was a big no-no, so i really hope just applying triple antibiotic when he's super sleepy is enough!

I am truly pleased and thankful Chance loves other dogs. The way he acted and his face gave me just pure joy! I swear i think i was happier than he was! Oddly they wouldn't allow him to wear a muzzle in the park (good thing i already had him meet a few diff types of dogs before hand....who knows what could have happened). Luckily it was an awesome night...just the boo boo....he's a tough boy... he'll be ok. I'm just afraid that this may not be the last one, nor the worst of them. I guess if it doesn't stop bleeding or if it's to the bone ....OUCH....that is when I hit up the vet.

THX!!!

Hope it heals up quickly for him! Lucy got a small cut on the bottom of her foot (between toes) once and I was worried sick about it getting infected, but it healed just fine. Just keep it clean and keep the antibiotic ointment on it and he'll be fine.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

And if you used Liquid bandage, that is also an antiseptic as well as a seal, so he should be good to go

ahhhh....did not realize this. I felt "unsure" putting it on b/c it's an open wound. Oddly, I tried a good ol bandaid (the material kind) and it stuck AND he isn't ripping it off!! Yay!! I'd rather have it covered!! :)

just remember no muzzle unless ALL dogs are muzzled. (they cant protect themselves)

SEEEE....I THOUGHT OF THAT....but as usual, I'm listening to what I was told by Greyhound shelter....obviously some things get looked over and I need to trust my instincts too!

EDIT....haven't figured out how to reply to mulitple people in one shot yet...sorry hehe....

Sounds like things are working for you, which is great. And if you can ever get your hands on a can of Granulex V, aerosol spray, it will do wonders for wounds:

"Granulex is an aid in the treatment of external wounds such as wire cuts, rope burns, abrasions, an lacerations in dogs, cats, horses, and cattle; and assists healing by facilitating the removal of necrotic tissue, exudate, and organic debris."

As it is a spray, it is great for those hard to reach and hard to bandage places.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Sounds like things are working for you, which is great. And if you can ever get your hands on a can of Granulex V, aerosol spray, it will do wonders for wounds:

"Granulex is an aid in the treatment of external wounds such as wire cuts, rope burns, abrasions, an lacerations in dogs, cats, horses, and cattle; and assists healing by facilitating the removal of necrotic tissue, exudate, and organic debris."

As it is a spray, it is great for those hard to reach and hard to bandage places.

BRILLIANT!!! I'll check it out! THANK YOU!!! <==== Chance says, "Me toooo!"

Yep- we love EMT gel here-- works like a second skin to make sure nothing gets in to bother the area.

Good luck :)

This sounds good too! Like I said, I got that liquid stuff...probably similar to your EMT gel. I used it on the little nicks he seems to get on his legs. The dog park has a lot of woodsy area too that he LOVES to explore.

Just to note...I am figuring out from word of mouth that it is a bit unusual for Greys to be social with other breeds. I knew he may be unsure at first (well he wasnt really lol), but some Greys never adapt to other doggies. I'm very thankful b/c I may just be a tad more elated by him in the park than he is. I'm one proud and lucky mama! :) (sorry to get all mushy...I just had the best morning with him) xoxo

THANKS again for you help as always GT! I couldn't get through this w/out you all!!! Truly!