Alternative Flea And Tick Prevention?

Guest widowcali

Guest widowcali

http://www.holisticfamilyandpets.com/

Someone gave me this website, as a source of alternative flea and tick prevention. The last time I gave Widow and Cali the usual dose, it turned their fur white.

I'm just researching alternatives.

And someone also said they give their dogs garlic to prevent fleas and ticks. How much? What kind?

Guest Energy11

As I have posted numerous times here on GT, I just use Adams Flea and Tick Mist, once a week, and I have had NO fleas, NO ticks, and NO adverse reactions. You can get it at any petstore, online, or at Wal-mart.

Good Luck with the fleas. I know nothing about the other product you tried.

I don't think it's "alternative", but we used the Preventic collar this year on the advice of many GT'ers (and ok'd by vet) and she did not have a single tick since we put it on, and I took 3 off her in one month before that, so it worked.

sig_border.jpg
Always missing our angel Lucy, a four year osteo survivor.

Guest widowcali
As I have posted numerous times here on GT, I just use Adams Flea and Tick Mist, once a week, and I have had NO fleas, NO ticks, and NO adverse reactions. You can get it at any petstore, online, or at Wal-mart.

Good Luck with the fleas. I know nothing about the other product you tried.

Oops. Should have said that their usual thing has been Frontline Plus. But when it turned their hair white, I got a little worried and started looking at alternatives.

Guest Energy11

Sometimes, the residue from Frontline Plus, Advantage, and Revolution will turn their hair. As long as there is no skin irritation/rash/raised area, they should be fine.

I guess everyone has heard different things about Advantix and their collars. I was advised not to use either ... but, if others are not having problems with them, who knows.

I am content with my Adams. Five dogs. Live in the woods, VERY wet and HUMID (ugh) lately, and NO fleas or ticks!

Good Luck to you ... fleas bite, literally and figuratively!

Guest Sissysmom

Energy, which type of their flea and tick mist do you use? I am trying to decide if I should go with the one with the IGR or not. My mom and grandmother used Adam's for years. It was bought at the vet's office back then. But now it seems there are more varieties. I have some at home but do not use it regularly as I have been using Frontline. However now after a flea infestation I will be going back to Adam's and NEVER using Frontline again. These fleas have been WAY too hard to get rid of. Since you have such good luck I want to make sure whatever kind you use, is the kind I get!

Guest TeddysMom

I chop up a bunch of garlic in a pint jar(about 4 large cloves), add equal amounts of safflower, olive, cod liver and flax oil, let it sit overnight and then add about 1tsp to my dogs food all year long. It really helps with the ticks and their coats but I haven't seen a lot of difference with the fleas. I started using the Adams spray and that has worked.

Guest EmilyAnne
Energy, which type of their flea and tick mist do you use? I am trying to decide if I should go with the one with the IGR or not. My mom and grandmother used Adam's for years. It was bought at the vet's office back then. But now it seems there are more varieties. I have some at home but do not use it regularly as I have been using Frontline. However now after a flea infestation I will be going back to Adam's and NEVER using Frontline again. These fleas have been WAY too hard to get rid of. Since you have such good luck I want to make sure whatever kind you use, is the kind I get!

I'll share my experience with it. I wanted the one without IGR, but here in my teeny amish community, the one with IGR was all that was available if I wanted something THAT day. I used it on my two dogs and on my cat. Supposed to be safe for both dogs and cats. Riley seemed to do ok, Henry my greyhound mix acted skittish for the first several hours and then was fine. Mabel my 19 yr old cat lost her appetite and stopped curling up wth me and kept hiding with this look on her face of clearly not feeling well. I knew the spray was making her sick, so I washed it off as much as I could, and within a day she seemed to be doing better. I will not be spraying her with it anymore.

Henry and Riley for the last several days have remained flea free, Mabel my cat has not. I have her quarantined to one room of the house and have been giving her baths every other day with Dawn dishsoap. Every morning after my kids go to school, I sprinkle Borax all over the carpets, and leave on for several hours, gating my dogs off into the kitchen. We are still early in our flea battle. I had sprayed the dog beds with the Adams flea and Tick mist with IGR, and nobody wanted anything to do with the beds. I now Borax and vacuam them instead.

Next time I will be trying the one without IGR, or try Advantage. Note about the Dawn dishsoap baths, Mabel has short light colored fur, so I have the advantage of more easily being able to see the fleas. When I apply the Dawn, the fleas run for the face and feet. You have to scrub every little square centimeter of the pet. The cheeks, the forehead, the chin, in between toes, etc. I also take off my own clothe while bathing her so the fleas cant cling onto my own clothes, and I make sure there are no rugs or etc. in the bathroom while I am bathing her, and I even sprinkle Borax on the carpet outside the bathroom while I am bathing her. The fleas are good jumpers. You have to watch out for that!

Guest Energy11

I honestly have had NO trouble with the regular Adams Flea and Tick Mist (without IGR). Some dogs just hate the idea of being sprayed (Staggerlee acts weird from getting sprayed with cologne :-(

RE: the cat ... I don't have cats. Love them, but Staggerlee and Goldie would eat a cat in nothing flat :-( For your cat, I'd do a good bath, and use Advantage. In my experience working at the vets, cat owners really did like Advantage.

You can also get Capstar, which is safe for dogs and cats. It is a pill, and after you give it, it kills the fleas on their bodies. http://www.allivet.com/Capstar-p/25230.htm...CFSDxDAodQkGvbQ

Good Luck! Hopefully, once the really cold weather hits, your fleas will be gone, especially with you treating your house and the pets :-))) Good Luck!