Kennel Cough Quarantine

ahicks51

So, we have a (non-greyhound) foster that developed kennel cough. Friday will be his second week here, and he came down with visible symptoms maybe 2-3 days into it. So, 11 days with kennel cough, and it's much better although I don't know as the doxycycline has made any appreciable improvement in his symptoms.

But! We have three other dogs, none of which have been vaccinated for the disease; I understand it's only about 60% effective anyway. None have shown symptoms, but they've been exposed, albeit briefly.

I understand the dogs are carriers- frequently for weeks after the symptoms are gone.

Any wisdom? How much longer should I quarantine the guy?

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

Guest eaglflyt

Kennel cough can be caused by both bacteria and viral agents, but Bordatella bronchiseptica is believed to be the more serious factor. The infection (Bordatella bronchiseptica) is obtained from the respiratory secretions of infected dogs or inapparent "carriers". Once infected, a dog can shed the bacteria for 3 months or longer with some becoming persistent infected carriers.

The above is from the book *Care of the Racing & Retired Greyhound*.

Kennel cough can also be spread by a newly infected dog before they ever have any signs of illness.

I'd suggest calling your vet for recommendations regarding your own dogs.

Best wishes on your foster recovering quickly and the rest of your dogs staying healthy.

I unknowningly brought in a dog with kennel cough some years ago. Treated him and my dogs did not get it. Since it's airborn, not sure how good quarantining at home is(?)

Well, he's in the back yard, and the greyhounds are inside- so, it's a pretty good arrangement. We're past the incubation period for the disease, meaning although they could still come down with it (if infected later), they haven't done so to date. It's not perfect, but it seems to be working.

Coco (Maze Cocodrillo)

Minerva (Kid's Snipper)

I've had dogs with kennel cough come in and tried to keep them separated, but not for 3 months! My guys did not ever get it. I think part of the reasons dogs in pounds and kennels come down with it more often is that the stress they are under makes them more susceptible than a fat happy dog at home. I'm sure that has no scientific basis but it's my crazy thinking.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest WhiteWave

I've fostered dozens of dogs from shelters. Have had 2 cases of KC. One time, about 10 yrs ago, Lucas a Dobe from the Humane Society brought KC. All the dogs got it. It was a bad strain. Our little Yorkie got pneumonia. But after weeks of haking dogs, everyone recovered.

2nd time another Dobe 2 yrs ago, came in from a kill shelter. Only dog that caught it was JD my brothers hunting dog. He was the biggest, strongest dog we had, but also the youngest and had never been exposed. He had to be put on medication, but recovered fine. :)

In general, I think as long as your dogs are healthy and not immune compromised, they should be fine. Elderly, sick, or young dogs should be kept separate.

I agree with Hubcitypam as I think dogs from shelters are so susceptible b/c they are extremely stressed at the shelter and confined in close quarters that aren't always the cleanest. Not a lot of ventilation, usually moist due them hosing the kennels out and hot b/c most aren't airconditioned. Dogs in clean homes that are healthy build up a resistance and usually show mild to no symptoms when exposed.